1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Matt Cutts: Gadgets, Google, and SEO??????????

Discussion in 'Google' started by Roman, Jun 30, 2006.

1. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Ok, I read all the comments and for the lazy I thought I would summarize it:

1.) Mistrel is one of the first posters and clearly states what the major issue with Google is right now without adding a bunch of kissing up

2.) Nobody acknowledges him, probably because they think the comment will just "disapear" and continue kissing Matts backside

3.) Matt acknowledges the comment and decides to leave it

4.) A bunch of people then call Minstrel a troll amongst other things (No one actually addresses the vaild point of course)

5.) More butt kissing complete with links to their site of course

6.) Mike (Blogmaster) kisses Shawns butt

7.) We are right back at the dumb best wishes posts with no acknowledgement of the giant cock up at Google right now

yfs1, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  2. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    wow, what a cheap shot :rolleyes:
    I'm not kissing nobody's butt. I commented that Matt should post on digitalpoint from time to time. It would be better than wasting his energy on Webmasterworld, because here in DP people would ask the real questions rather than encouraging chit chat.

Blogmaster, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  3. yfs1

Best Answers:
    I was only kidding..Just thought it was funny in the context of all the other comments (All 84 of them at the time)
    Thats exactly why you will never see him here :D

yfs1, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  4. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Jeff addressed the issue:

Again implying it's the fault of webmasters.

Roman, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  5. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I never read the comments on his blog, the amount of ass kissing un there is unbelieveable. I actually think that is how some SEOs' do business. Attach their lips to Matts ass, cross their fingers and hope for #1

MattUK, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  6. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I hope so ;)
    Not sure, I've emailed him the link to this thread. On Webmaster World is where all of the Matt Chat started and they are telling him what he wants to hear over there. I don't think that Matt really enjoys the buttkissing as much as people here think, I think he got more or less sucked into the vibe over there.

Blogmaster, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  7. yfs1

Best Answers:
    I read that too and thought it plus the replies were pretty arrogant. It would be a sad day if Google were to drop all sites not containing "perfect" code. Most webmasters are new to html and to judge the value of their site based on its coding is just stupid. I can understand if the site isn't functional but what the commentors are proposing is completely different.

Anyway, Googles cockup affects Wordpress. phpBB, and vB sites just as much which should debunk the whole "Its only crappy coded pages getting dropped" theory

yfs1, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  8. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    I didn't buy it either.

What gets me is how many people are wasting time now trying to fix their sites, only to hurt thier SERPs in the other SEs because it was posted on Matts blog. I find that very irresponsible.

Roman, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  9. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh I don't know, I could see merits in penalizing non-valid HTML. :p Think of all the Frontpage "webmasters" that claim to be web developers. Having to know and understand how to make valid code as part of SEO could really force MSIE only sites to clean up their act. :D

Of course I can't imagine Google would ever include HTML validation as a criteria in their algorithm, It just doesn't seem to be a logical way to determine content quality. I would not, however, be surprised to see proper use of HTML syntax can help one's SEO efforts as proper HTML syntax would be easier for a machine to "understand". This doesn't mean that creating valid HTML is enough, it means that one needs to make proper use of each of the tags (e.g. <Hx>, <UL>, <P>, etc.).

KLB, Jul 4, 2006 IP
    roadies likes this.
  10. theblackjeep

theblackjeep Peon

Best Answers:
    Google does not drop pages if the code is not perfect. You are rewarded though for writing clean code that can get crawled efficiently. Frontpage and Dreamweaver are great time savers, but you always want to get in there and clean things up a bit. If you are used to creating sites for dialup, it is no big deal. It is still important to keep everything compact. Googlebot likes it that way.

theblackjeep, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  11. yfs1

Best Answers:
    I normally don't read EntireWeb but they made an excellent point today:

Everyone knows Google has tons of errors but its always funny to read, especially since all the Matt Cutts devotees are going on and on about valid HTML

yfs1, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  12. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    It's just the latest ploy to pass the blame.

Roman, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  13. rmccarley

rmccarley Peon

Best Answers:
    Cutts is an engineer at Google. His background is military. He's the one that came up with "Safe Search" and is now head of anti-spam. His name is on many of the Google Patent applications.

His blog is somewhat interesting and worth the read with the right mindset. Because he does work for Google and because he considers SEOs a necesary nuisance you do have to read between the lines a lot. If nothing else you get an idea of the culture at Google and some insite into how the SE works in concept/theory.

Every now and then Matt does get blunt and specific about things and occasionally he opens things up for people to post questions or help Google pick a direction for certain tasks which is kinda cool. Granted, it'd be cooler if he answered every question asked but that just isn't practical.

His info on moving domains/hosts was good as was filling out a reinclusion request. Also finding out that G has both algo and human editing for spam makes a difference. He also ripped some sites apart that were spamming so that gives a good idea of what to avoid.

Avoid the Cuttlets (ass kissing morons). I just search for [matt said] to see what his responses are and skip the crap.

I've had a couple posts cut and wasn't able to post for a while. :rolleyes:

rmccarley, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  14. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I thought Matt Cutts was Googleguy? Right about the time Matt Cutts started his blog, Googleguy sort of fell off the radar.

Obelia, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  15. mobilebay

mobilebay Active Member

Best Answers:
    How can Google penalise for non compliant HTML when their site is one of the worst even the results page has errors, just another Google scapegoat.

just thought i'd strengthen the case, I maean results pages with errors what an example to set.

mobilebay, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  16. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    That exercise was more telling about the sorry state of web development than it is about how much valid HTML helps with SEO efforts. It really fact that web developers don't know their craft as well as they should. One could not show how using valid HTML search engine placement without knowing what percentage of webpages contain valid HTML and make proper use of structural syntax.

The reason Matt and many others always preach about producing valid code and making proper use of structural syntax is because it makes it easier for automated processes to understand and rank the various parts of a page. It could also help search engines "understand" a webpage from a contextual standpoint as algorithms become more advanced.

It isn't about Google or any other search engine actively penalizing sites for bad HTML. It’s the fact that HTML is a structural language and every tag has s specific structural meaning. By properly using tags to structure a page in a logical format, it makes it easier for automated algorithms to weigh the importance of words on a page and come up with a context for the word usage on a page. Lets look at the following example (I'm skipping some tags to get to the essence):

<head><title>Example page</title></head>
    <body>
    <h1>Example Page</h1>
    	<h2>Section one</h2>
    		<p>Intro to section one</p>
    		<h3>Section one sub-section one</h3>
    			<p>sub-section one comments</p>
    		<h3>Section one sub-section two</h3>
    			<p>sub-section two comments</p>
    	<h3>Section two</h2>
    		<p>Intro to section one</p>
    		<h3>Section two sub-section one</h3>
    			<p>sub-section one comments</p>
    		<h3>Section two sub-section two</h3>
    			<p>sub-section two comments</p>
    </body>
    Code (markup):
    By properly using <Hx> tags and <p> tags I was able to create a hierarchical structure to the page which makes it easier for automated processes to associate the relationship of text within the page. This could allow algorithms to sleuth out the context words are being used in and help search algorithms "understand" what the important points of a page are. So, I wouldn't say there was a penalty for having bad code, but rather I'd say that valid code with proper use of HTML syntax can aid search engines in doing a better job of evaluating and ranking a page. This in turn could help a page rank better in search results. I believe this is Matt and so many others are trying to get at when we say that valid HTML and proper use of HTML syntax is a very important part of SEO.

KLB, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  17. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Does it really matter? lol

Blogmaster, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  18. scottj

scottj Peon

Best Answers:
    No, of course it doesn't matter. Nothing related to Matt Cutts really matters. But it is quite the coincidence...

scottj, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  19. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Blogmaster, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  20. wibr

wibr Peon

Best Answers:

That's extremely odd. And yet I just saw it with my own 2 eyes. Why on earth would google do that?

wibr, Jul 7, 2006 IP