1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Marketing your website/blog in the OFFLINE world?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by M3rC, Feb 24, 2009.

Hey all,

Do any of our members here @ DP follow any methods of promotion in the offline world? I just wrote up a post recently about it, and was just wondering if any of those methods were being followed by webmasters here @ DP :)

Some things I've mentioned were; Running for Charity, Flyers/Business Cards, Voicemail, Sponsored Clothing,.. any of these things?

If you have, would you like to share with us your thoughts? :)

M3rC, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  2. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Get a magnetic sign for the side of your car or truck. I did this for a little while when I had my computer service. I would be driving down the road, look over and see people writing down information from the sign. Plus, if you use your car or truck for advertising, you can write expenses off your taxes - such as oil changes, new tires, gas,,,

Get with the local chamber of commerce and sponsor a local beauty pageant. You should be able to get your website name in the papers that are handed out during the pageant. And maybe even a link on the chambers website.

~kev~, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  3. blang

blang Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you have a university or college near by you could certainly use that demographic to your advantage. Put up or hand out flyers there.

You can also write your website on pieces of money.

blang, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  4. DigitalChris

DigitalChris Peon

Best Answers:
    This might be illegal and self incriminating.

DigitalChris, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  5. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Indeed, I print pens with my info and hand them out all over the place. Anyone who takes a credit card will typically take a hand full of pens. Any place that sells beer or booze is really good as well since folks have a tendency to walk off with pens so they actually distribute themselves.

hope that helps,
    Nigel

Nigel Lew, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  6. jpearce

jpearce Peon

Best Answers:
    Teach a class.

Also start related sites and blogs w/local search and stick your site in it.

jpearce, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  7. french-webbie

french-webbie Peon

Best Answers:
    Word of mouth is the natural social networking.
    If your site meets a need, people wil share it by themselves ;)

french-webbie, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  8. BeeMWyou

BeeMWyou Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I actually seen something like that on a $1 bill today. I couldn't believe it. I went to the guy's website and it was full of AdSense ads. :eek:

BeeMWyou, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  9. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    I have never done any deliberate offline marketing. Most of it was word of mouth. However, I have contemplated doing some flyers when I was doing some web design services. I think you really need to ensure that your business model would fit that form of advertising though. For example, a forum on internet marketing is probably less likely to get visitors in offline marketing than would a web development company.

PHPGator, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  10. CMS2009

CMS2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't forget you're local newspaper/free ads paper. These can be cracking if your website does tangible goods, or affiliate links to tangible goods, phones, electronics etc. This has worked well for me. Dont forget CPA offers as well such as dating and flatmates/property and the like. Most papers do free small ads!

CMS2009, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  11. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see what you guys mean by the $1 bill ~ do you mean literally writing out your URL on money?

It can't be that...cause its so random lol and I fail to see its purpose :eek:
    Would it be conceivable as legitimate money after that? Sure raises a few legal issues that's for sure, any tampering with official bills has got to be a big No-No

M3rC, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  12. Arcanus

Arcanus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yea. I wouldn't have considered the fact that it could render the tender illegal..although here in oz,i've had a ripped $5 note that was accepted as legal tender. I was actually wary of handing it over(considering i had no choice but to use cash at the time)..
    I've seen various things written on notes before.

maybe australia is slack??

plus,just becuase a website url is written on a note..doesn;t mean the site owner did it. -what if it was used as notepaper by mistake??

haha

Arcanus, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  13. Squidoodle

Squidoodle Peon

Best Answers:
    Newspaper ads are still very effective, networking and seminars too :)

Usually best for services though, not too sure about blogs.

Squidoodle, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  14. chelle

chelle Member

Best Answers:
    How about your car? Bumper stickers or big vinyl letters/wrap all around it :)

chelle, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  15. acrossad

acrossad Peon

Best Answers:
    I had a previous website that I wanted to promote. A friend of mine was good at woodworking so hen carved wooden pens with my website name on then. They looked fabulous! I handed them out to people who I thought could help promote my business.

acrossad, Feb 25, 2009 IP
    lycos likes this.
  16. nihangshah

nihangshah Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Create unique business cards and put your website URL on it.

nihangshah, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  17. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    Woah, firstly thank you for such a detailed reply Strontium Dog :)

You are dead right about every genre having it's own communities of writers and printing publishers. So, anyone going that route will always have something or something to work with.

Moreover on the broader topic of say a SEO Blog flyer and brochure, it would much less effective posting it anywhere and everywhere, because most people wouldn't even know about it ~ on the other hand if you had a sporting blog say about Basketball - every Tom, Dick and Harry on your street would know what exactly your flyer's about :)

M3rC, Feb 26, 2009 IP
  18. lilporkchop

lilporkchop Peon

Best Answers:
    Where's the link to your articleee?
    I'm thinking about promoting a couple of my sites in the offline..but it's not "suitable" just to throw around flyers :p
    Let's say it's a bit maturish content..

lilporkchop, Mar 8, 2009 IP