1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO and Directory Submission

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mpls-web-design, Feb 16, 2009.

What is your experience with directory submission? Does it help with your search engine optimization?

I browse the internet and there are numberous directories. Do links from these directories carry any value for SEO purposes? I talked with a SEO optimizer and was told that directory submission was the only thing they do and it worked great.

I know some good directories, like Yahoo and Open Directory project, offer good SEO value, but unsure about those unknown ones. Submitting to all those directories seems like a daunting task, so I'd rather select those that really help.

Thanks in advance!

mpls-web-design, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  2. Londonseoconsultants

Londonseoconsultants Guest

Best Answers:
    yes, submitting to directories is a great way of gaining one way links, but dont fall into the trap set by many on here, where they will submit your site to loads of directories for a few dollars because they make a huge short cut - they use the same description each time, or limit you to just a few descriptions at best, most Ive seen was 10 ! Search engine see those links as repeat content, automated, paid for and not genuine votes.

I am currently working on a system which is semi automated that will submit a completely unique link to up to 2000 directories, each link will have a unique description of between 150-250 characters, so theres a lot of work, but it means the directory submissions will be done perfectly. My system will be ready in about a week, this service will take 2 days work of up to 20 hours work and will not be cheap like the other directory submissions, but the job will be done properly.. I've used submission services about 10 times and each time was a waste of money, you could see all the links ended up on google pages that were grey barred, probably cos of repeat

Londonseoconsultants, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  3. rena

rena Peon

Best Answers:
    For me very bad exp and even single BL did not get. Also very little are approving...

rena, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  4. T_Media

T_Media Peon

Best Answers:
    I've had upward movements from mass directory submission. I use a service called directory maximiser which will rotate submissions of up to 10 different vairations.

@Londonseoconsultants: That sounds fantastic, I would agree that the more unique your submissions the better. Perhaps you can share the system with us or myself when it's complete?

T_Media, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  5. cgragg

cgragg Peon

Best Answers:
    Directory Submissions can be helpful, if you choose the right one's, and like said above, alter your Titles and Descriptions to that they are not all the same.

You really need to make sure that the directories you submit to are quality, and not link farms or reciprocal link exchanges. Make sure the directory has PR, and check the cache date on the page you will be listed in, and if it hasn't been indexed within a month or two, it's probably not a good directory.

Here is a list of the Top Directories as rated by SEOMoz.
    http://www.avivadirectory.com/strongest-directories/

Although much more expensive, I think you will find better results from these 75 or so, than listing in 1000 free directories through a submission service. I personally use these for my main listings, and then use the free submissions to go for some specific anchor text later.

If you want to do the automated submission thing, Directory Maximizer is good. You can enter up to 20 titles and descriptions, and you can space out your submissions. (they offer 1000 directories and all seem to be decent, just dont do all at once).

cgragg, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  6. seoservicesworld

seoservicesworld Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, google give the importance to those links which are coming from the directories, because they are one way natural links

seoservicesworld, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  7. T_Media

T_Media Peon

Best Answers:

They are one way, but they are not natural. Not usually anyway.

T_Media, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  8. ekajanabee4u

ekajanabee4u Peon

Best Answers:
    it will help for backlinks to our website.

ekajanabee4u, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  9. kutekutta

kutekutta Peon

Best Answers:
    Refine all your directories and submit high page rank directories surely you will get a BL.

Submit more directories as much as possible. :)

kutekutta, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  10. mokmok69

mokmok69 Peon

Best Answers:
    For me SEO must not focus on directory submissions 5 submissions I think is enough.

mokmok69, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  11. seohelp

seohelp Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course ! Directory submission is useful part of link building and you need to continue directory submission for improving the ranking in SERPs.

seohelp, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  12. Londonseoconsultants

Londonseoconsultants Guest

Best Answers:
    Then you make them seem natural by using a uniqe description each time 0 uts time consuming but absolutely necessary if you want google to see each link as natural

Londonseoconsultants, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  13. Roger_Silvester

Roger_Silvester Peon

Best Answers:
    The most important benefits of Directory Submission can be:
    1. One-way links: Search engines place a premium on one-way links rather than reciprocal links, and directories are a great way to obtain those valuable one-way links.

2. Search engine listings: Once you submit your site to a directory and your site is listed, it will only be a matter of days before the major search engines begin listing your URL as well.

3. Keyword relevance: Having your site listed in a web directory can help build keyword relevance, which in turn results in more traffic to your website.

4. Brand awareness: Directory submission is essential for increasing brand awareness.

5. Affordability: Directory submission is one of the most affordable SEO strategies you can find. Many directories will list your site for free, and even those sites that charge to list your site don’t charge an extravagant amount.

Regards

Roger_Silvester, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  14. T_Media

T_Media Peon

Best Answers:
    You can make them seem natural, but they are not natural. All you have to do is note that the same website appears more than 50 times accross web directories and you'd know that there must be someone behind all those listings.

You could even do it algorithmically by detecting the most popular directory scripts through common footprints.

T_Media, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  15. tommseo

tommseo Peon

Best Answers:
    directory submission is very time consuming and takes too much time for approval. Most of the times it is totally waste of time.

tommseo, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  16. master.seo12

master.seo12 Banned

Best Answers:
    for my point of view directory submission works grate it's improve your backlinks as well as SERPS but i only submit my sites in only 50 grate paid directory links v7n.com,vmoptions.com,dmoz.org, yahoo.dir, avivadirectory.com, though all are paid one but give me quality back links as well as improve my SERPS also but hear i mentions only all paid directory and i preferred one free directory as well which is http://www.seofriendlydirectory4u.com/ because it's free and gives us very high quality back links. so i bought my site wide links from their.

master.seo12, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  17. thebashhh

thebashhh Peon

Best Answers:
    I have applied to most directories but some just takes too long to get approved (free ones). For instance, my dmoz.org application is already 2 months and my blog is still not there.

thebashhh, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  18. mearpartners

mearpartners Peon

Best Answers:
    For us manual directory submission has been working very well.

We have been submitting our sites in bursts of 10 directories or so...and have been very happy with the results. We reviewed a lot of automatic submission services, but did not like the lengthy one size fits all forms.

We have been blogging about the sites that we have been submitting to at...

http://www.mearpartners.com/blog

As this is an ongoing effort look for continued posts. Hope to see you there!

mearpartners, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  19. seofirm09

seofirm09 Peon

Best Answers:
    Is this still available.

seofirm09, Feb 21, 2009 IP