1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it hitting your income?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by jeewant_gupta_051275, Oct 7, 2008.

1. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's not a misconception - it's just a matter of whether or not the individual freelancers know how to adapt and find new clients in their rate range.

For example, if you normally write for clients online, you should look at local opportunities if there are a lot of layoffs in your area. For another example, you may need to change your niche, or add a related niche to what you offer (niche demand can fluctuate wildly).

You could also try a different kind of writing (such as learning how to write marketing-oriented copy for your clients if you're currently solely a content writer.

The jobs are definitely out there - you just may have to change the way you're looking for them.

jhmattern, Jan 8, 2009 IP
  2. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, Zorah. I'm based in the Philippines too, but seriously, can you get web developers here for $2/hr? Not even freelance writers here would work at that rate.

Anyhoo, I just wanted to know.

Also, I think it's on which clients you choose. If they don't have the money to pay you, then look for one who could. The thing is that you have to show them the value of your work, that the returns are more than what they'll be paying you. :)

cd928, Jan 8, 2009 IP
  3. Ray Edwards

Ray Edwards Member

Best Answers:
    A bad economy traditionally favors freelancers because businesses are looking
    for a deal and turn away from the big companies and Ad agencies. If you keep
    listening tothe news and apply all the bad outlook to yourself then it's easy
    to find excuses why your business isn't doing well.

It's interesting how the mind works that you'll find what you are looking for.

-Ray Edwards

Ray Edwards, Jan 23, 2009 IP
  4. proxyweb70

proxyweb70 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that the meltdown has forced a lot of regular (non-tech) folks to look into online income, and the market is being saturated with low skill workers. Once everyone figures out that you "get what you pay for" they will start paying for quality content again.

proxyweb70, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  5. jeewant_gupta_051275

jeewant_gupta_051275 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, but the point is, that many good-quality-level workers have also hit the markets with dirt cheap rates. I am talking about India, engineers and profesional who are being laid off, have had the habit of working for 16 hours a day for less than 50$. They are a highly motivated class of professionals, willing to work for even lower rates and supply good value to the customer.
    I am not saying that it is a threat to me, but I know the value of money in my country, and even in 2 out of 10 low-cost grunt workers offer good quality, I think the bargain would be worth it. AS such, the price of commodities is falling sharply in India, and elsewhere as well, so, people are really looking at lowering their rates seriously.
    Lets see how things shape up in the future though

jeewant_gupta_051275, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  6. waynekey1

waynekey1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Lets face it, when more people enter a market the competition gets more challenging. That doesnt mean that you cant do well, just that there will be more competition. If you look at history many of the very best and strongest coporations were born during recessions and depressions. I think the challenges of this time should be fuel we use to help us get creative and drive us forward.
    Wayne
    waynekey.com

waynekey1, Feb 1, 2009 IP
  7. JAMALG

JAMALG Banned

Best Answers:
    I know that there is work totally out there for good writers, the regenerators and even the less than a penny workers. You really need to network with others, show your best work in every post you write and be pleasant towards others. They say if you exude positivity into the universe, that you'll receive it back to you ten fold.

JAM

JAMALG, Feb 2, 2009 IP
  8. jeewant_gupta_051275

Best Answers:
    Yeah, thats true, work is there for the grabs, but some people prefer penny writers over seasoned writers, which is a bit irritating.

jeewant_gupta_051275, Feb 2, 2009 IP
  9. Copyguy

Copyguy Peon

Best Answers:
    I also agree with many of you that freelancers will prevail during economic hardship. When larger corporations start losing money, they make cuts. Although a seasoned wordsmith (or an unseasoned wordsmith such as myself) is desired and deemed necessary in all areas of business, many companies depend on "outside help" from freelancers to continue necessary writing, editing, and proofreading tasks. I am currently employed at a small ad agency, but I do not fear unemployment---The world will always make room for writers. Even when that space becomes smaller, and even if the door to that room is locked, a resourceful writer will find a way.

Copyguy, Feb 2, 2009 IP
  10. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I have been writing for more professional companies as of late, especially in jewelry, gold, and other luxury items. I am also making more per article then I was before, and I am finding more and more clients who are willing to increase my rates for repeat business.

In any case, I am making three times what I was working part time out of the home.

oo87, Feb 9, 2009 IP
  11. godsofchaos

godsofchaos Peon

Best Answers:
    It surely is hitting everyone's income in general however there always will be exceptions!

godsofchaos, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  12. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Nope - it's really not. And in the case of experienced freelancers who know how to market themselves and adapt, the exceptions are the people whose income is getting hit.

jhmattern, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  13. hari001

hari001 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I think our income is being affected due to global financial crisis and income scale is falling down day by day. I agree with you. Thanks for sharing such a useful stuff with us.

Stella

hari001, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  14. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    So, what about those of us who are making more now? Seriously, a bad economy seems like it should be bad on the freelance market, but is isn't. Think of it this way: where are companies going for content now that they cannot afford to pay for writing teams, or service providers that they frequently use?

I have gotten more jobs, at higher rates, since unemployment began to skyrocket. I am making on average $1200 a month, and I work about 25 hours a week, and I am a cheap writer! I am getting between $12 - $20 per 500 words, and without even trying.

A bad economy does not equal a failing income if you have any idea how to get out there, and find the right clients. Buyers are looking, but I don't think you are presenting yourself well if your income has been negatively effected.

oo87, Feb 13, 2009 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  15. amcgowan

amcgowan Peon

Best Answers:
    My income has dropped but I think that is more due to me not working as hard as I use to work. I am in college now so I spend so much time working on my college work that I just want a break from the computer. However, now that the economy is declining more I really need to get back to hard work and earning the money that I need.

amcgowan, Feb 18, 2009 IP
  16. jeewant_gupta_051275

Best Answers:
    Similar thought here...I really cant figure out if I have been working less or is it because of the downturn that my income hasn't increase in the past 2 months. One good thing though- the dollar is rising like MAD against my currency, which means I am getting more money for the same amount of work ;)

jeewant_gupta_051275, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  17. curiouswriter2

curiouswriter2 Peon

Best Answers:
    So far I have not seen a dip in my earnings but it has remained the same and I'm slowly gaining more work so it is still too early to tell. I have recently expanded to several other I know that not all are affected by the economic turn down, as it does not include every industry out there.

curiouswriter2, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  18. manu_v_singh

manu_v_singh Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't think the recession has hit my earning..
    I have been flooded with PM's inquiring about my service,daily! Actually i have been turning down many offers because of lack of time....
    Although, i feel that the mad rush of writers on DP who take up a job and then vanish has been working in favor of the people who are ready to churn quality in a respective time-frame...
    Although, there has been steep rise in the rewriting offers i get. As i suppose buyers are not willing to invest heavily in fresh writing so they are doing away with rewriting...

manu_v_singh, Feb 27, 2009 IP
  19. homeworkin

homeworkin Guest

Best Answers:
    My income is from my sites, I don't currently freelance. I am in mostly recession insulated fields, but I am seeing a steady increase in traffic/sales. Of course, I work my heiny off for that traffic, but it is still increasing despite the economy.

homeworkin, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  20. Raven1

Raven1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've actually been busier in the last 6 months than ever before in the 6 years I've been freelancing. I love it.

Raven1, Mar 24, 2009 IP