1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

2009 Political / Economic / Etc. Predictions

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by smatts9, Jan 9, 2009.

Listen up plebs of Digital Point! It is this time of the year again where we brush the dust off our crystal balls, pull out our best stash of drugs, or gas up the time machine and look into the future with the upmost lucidity.

The great year that was 2008 has now passed us and we get to look forward to 2009.

• Ravens win the Superbowl. Obviously my Ed Reed avatar last spring/summer propelled them to this current state of perfection.
    • GM bankrupt, possibly Chrysler.
    • Unemployment reaches 10%+.
    • Dollar continues to strengthen.
    • The Euro and European countries continue to puke on themselves. Hopefully the euro currency implodes.
    • Commercial RE is doomed and will fall apart. It already is, but whatever.
    • California defaults. Other states may follow suit. I feel special that I probably know the only dumbass moving into Michigan.
    • In the hopper for the mortgage mess are Alt-A's and all that jazz. They have yet to reset.
    • OPEC will continue to fail in its attempts to control oil prices.
    • China will be severely hurt, along with the other "emerging" markets.
    • Oil will remain at these low levels
    • Housing will not bottom, despite the numerous calls for one.
    • Deflation continues
    • Stock market will be lower in a year from now.
    • The government will continue to prove its ineffectiveness to do anything.

To go with my last point: Obama has yet to bring any change to his upcoming presidency. He is doing nothing. Prepare to be disappointed those of you who vote d for him. Sure he may be giving a $1000 check to 95% of everyone, but what will that do? Nothing! You cannot fix a problem of too much debt with more debt. You don't restore trust and confidence by handing out checks. And when was the last time you got a good paying, secure job from someone in the middle class? We tax productivity and Obama will most likely raise them, tack that on to my list of predictions. You start taxing the rich more and guess what? They don't give a shit. They'll pack up, take their money and peace. Wave more jobs goodbye.

The jist of it all is that 2009 will be just as glorious as 2008. Buckle up boys and enjoy the ride.

List your own predictions and perhaps we'll see whats up next year when we celebrate '10.

smatts9, Jan 9, 2009 IP
    bogart likes this.
  2. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can only speak for February 9. Good chance it will be similar in magnitude to the frenzy that started September 15.

We'll see a lot more government in our lives, you can bet my life on that.

ncz_nate, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  3. Ancient Dragon

Ancient Dragon Peon

Best Answers:
    • I don't care who wins -- never listen to American football.
    • Good. We can blaim that on the unions who priced themself right out of business.
    • no brainer.
    • Not with increasing unemployment.
    • I hope the euro currency remains solvent -- its to everyone's advantage.
    • What's "RE" ?
    • Maybe Mexico will buy California? Might as well.
    • US government will buy up all those mortgages, making the US government the world's largest landlord.
    • Hope OPEC falls completly apart, then maybe oil will remain low for years to come.
    • China needs to hurt, with all their inferior products.
    • Terrific
    • See previous comment
    • People (and unions) want increasing wages during inflation but will they accept wage cuts during deflation?
    • I have my money under my mattress, so I don't care.
    • When have you ever heard of the government doing anything worth while? But I wish The Annointed One the best of success during the next four years.

Ancient Dragon, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  4. elenojo

elenojo Peon

Best Answers:
    Let's hope Obama pursues his promise to focus on economic restoration. He aims at increasing government spending in order to create more jobs. But where does he source the money from, given the Americans' dislike of more
    taxes?

In my country, the US$ is weakening because of the volume of overseas
    remittances coming in from our OFWs.

Little by little, the world is beginning to feel the effects of OPEC's pressure
    to lift up oil prices. From $46 two days ago, price per bbl of oil has gone up
    to $47+. In my country, the projected price rollback of P2 per li. tends
    to be scrapped and could reverse into a price increase instead.

Asian developing countries such as China, India, Taiwan, Thailand, the Philippines, Malaysia and Korea, which merely suffered some kind of economic
    slowdown (instead of the worse recession as an aftermath of the American
    financial meltdown which painfully affected a number of European and more
    developed countries as Germany, France, Japan) are much safer and in much
    better positions to spur economic recovery not only within the region but all
    throughout the world.

At any rate, let us give the new president the chance to prove his worth.
    In the midst of difficult situations, the challenges that Obama will have to
    contend with are no easy tasks. We can predict whatever gives content
    to our desires, but I'm sure Barack Obama and his team have desires of
    their own for self and the country, and let us give them the support, the
    trust and confidence that they will direly need all along.

elenojo, Jan 10, 2009 IP
  5. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    My try :)

* Ravens win the Superbowl. Obviously my Ed Reed avatar last spring/summer propelled them to this current state of perfection. Do not care at all
    * GM bankrupt, possibly Chrysler. They will not, no one is willing to bear the responsibilities for their collapse
    * Unemployment reaches 10%+. Yes, caveat if nothing happens to China. If China implodes, all Hell's loose, we may see 15-20%
    * Dollar continues to strengthen. Possible
    * The Euro and European countries continue to puke on themselves. Hopefully the euro currency implodes. Unlikely
    * Commercial RE is doomed and will fall apart. It already is, but whatever. It is already doomed
    * California defaults. Other states may follow suit. I feel special that I probably know the only dumbass moving into Michigan. It is a matter of time
    * In the hopper for the mortgage mess are Alt-A's and all that jazz. They have yet to reset. Agree
    * OPEC will continue to fail in its attempts to control oil prices. Agree
    * China will be severely hurt, along with the other "emerging" markets. As in earlier prediction, if this happens, US unemployment may be in the range of 15-20% a Depression is likely
    * Oil will remain at these low levels Agree, demand is down sharply, prices is hard to sustain
    * Housing will not bottom, despite the numerous calls for one. Agree, we have not seen half of the action yet
    * Deflation continues Agree
    * Stock market will be lower in a year from now. Agree
    * The government will continue to prove its ineffectiveness to do anything. Agree

We agree on almost all except with various degrees of differences.

wisdomtool, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  6. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll be surprised if this doesn't happen..

A market collapse Monday.. so Congress can rush through the Stimulus.

ncz_nate, Feb 7, 2009 IP
  7. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Wall Street seems to be acting in concert to pressure the USA govt to rush through the stimulus. One nation ransomed by a Stock Exchange.....

wisdomtool, Feb 7, 2009 IP
  8. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I can't believe what is happening. The market is wiping out retirement accounts and savings. Yet people continue to put their money into the market. You really have to ask yourself whether the dow was ever really worth 14,000? A lot of companies don't even pay dividends, so what is a share really worth?

[​IMG]

http://investor.google.com/faq.html

bogart, Feb 8, 2009 IP
  9. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bogart I still bet there are alot of people making money in this market environment but they are mostly veteran skilled daytrading groups and position traders. Long term investments are the riskiest investments out there.

pingpong123, Feb 8, 2009 IP
  10. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    High volatility is great for the traders. The most likely have themselves hedged with options to limit their losses. They have made a fortune shorting the banks and on oil futures. The big investment companies can trade after hours and on the Asian and London exchanges as well as make their own markets.

I read an article somewhere that most of the daytraders lose money. The successful ones try to make money on 6 of 10 trades. $300 or $400 a day adds up.

bogart, Feb 8, 2009 IP