1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Finding out if website has a sitemap

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Swimace, Feb 3, 2009.

If i'm analysing a website and don't have access to the backend via FTP how can I find out if the website has a sitemap, if there are tools that do this, please let me know but explain how they do this.

Thanks

Swimace, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  2. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    if a site has sitemap, then the sitemap is usually linked from the main index page. whole purpose of sitemap is to let SE bots crawl the inner pages so it is the common practice tp link to the sitemap from homepage. some might link to the sitemap from inner page but the sitemap is usually named sitemap.xxx. you can search google or yahoo in this format which will give you the indexed pages for a specific site and you can see there is a sitemap or not: site:url

sultanofseo, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  3. qbert_seo

qbert_seo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just to add to the answer since I am not certain what type of sitemap you meant:
    - Most people who go to the trouble to make an xml sitemap would create a static one as well. If you meant whether or not there is a way to tell if there is a Google xml sitemap, then no way exists that I am aware of except to try common names such as domain/sitemap.xml

qbert_seo, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  4. kipson

kipson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Include a link to your site map on every page of your Web site. Many search engine robots look for your sitemap in order to crawl the entire Web site. If you include a link to your sitemap on each page, you are giving the robots easy access to crawl your entire web site, regardless of which page they come in on.

kipson, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  5. Swimace

Swimace Guest

Best Answers:
    Ok, thanks for this answer.

To the others I thought i'd made it clear it was reference to a .XML site map in the backend, I'm not asking "what is a site map" or "how to create a sitemap" or even "what is a static sitemap" that's accessible from the page, thanks.

Swimace, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  6. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i meant static xml sitemap which is pretty clear from what OP is asking

sultanofseo, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  7. straw berry bottom

straw berry bottom Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

check the protocol as shown at:
    http://sitemaps.org/protocol.php

A good place to look is in the robots.txt file - a clued up webmaster will include the path in his robots.txt file:

http://domain.com/robots.txt

or a good guess will always be

http://domain.com/sitemap.xml

straw berry bottom, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  8. BarryMG

BarryMG Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO Quake FireFox plugin has a tool that shows you what pages have a sitemap right in the Google search results.

BarryMG, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  9. Swimace

Swimace Guest

Best Answers:
    Cool thanks barry, I didn't like SEO quake initially as I thought other tools I used did just as good a job, but on installing and using it a 2nd time it's actually aright and a few handy links, like the way it's simple to toggle on and off too. Cheers for that.

Swimace, Feb 6, 2009 IP
  10. arnab1987

arnab1987 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Thanks for all whose gives answer. I appreciate the all answer. i checked many websites with the above following technique. Its help me a lot to find the websites sitemap.

arnab1987, Dec 16, 2012 IP
  11. alex06295

alex06295 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The xml file may be indexed in Google.... so take help of filetype search operator...

site:yourdomain.com filetype:xml

alex06295, Jan 29, 2020 IP