1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Am i doing somethign wrong

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by darkdrgn2k, Jan 14, 2009.

Hey guys, I have been trying to submit some sites that i have been workign on to DMOZ for over 2 years now and i never seem to have any luck. I know they say wait wait wait but it seems i dont know if im waiting for my ship to come or if it sank at sea.

Im trying to follow all the rules, and help ad what i think is a quality site to the site.

I've tried posting to a few differnt areas that i thought the site might go well in to, i dont know if that would have been considtered spam (i did it like 2 months apart)

Anyway, any comments and would help.
    the site is www . imintrouble . ca
    and i posted it last to "Society: Law: Services: Directories"

Thank you

PS: if you have any comments/sugestions about the site iteself i would love to hear it :)

darkdrgn2k, Jan 14, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't look at the category you submitted too, but your site isn't a directory is it?

Though, honestly it does not matter. If you did your best to follow the rules, then apply this -> Submit ONCE and FORGET. Some sites wait for years for a listing, as there is no specified wait time and they make no promises to list any site (no matter how super fantastic it is).

Qryztufre, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  3. darkdrgn2k

darkdrgn2k Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its just so frusturating... not knowing if its something you did, over looked. So many questions

Did you use the right catagory (many sites can go under differnt categories) did you make the right description.

If i understand it correctly, you only get one shot with the editors, and EVERYONE makes mistakes.

I completly undertsand why ODP wont let people know if the submission failed or not, or if it was ignored (spammers and such) but .... What do us real people do.

Ive posted "www . the health plan . ca" over 4 years ago and it has not come through. No idea why.

:confused: Just wish i knew what i was doing :-P

4. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Resubmit that one if you have not. They lost all data in 2005 so resubmitting it will not hurt you (unless the end user has submitted you, then heh *shrug*)

5. darkdrgn2k

darkdrgn2k Active Member

Best Answers:
    !!!This is worst then SEOing GOOGLE!!!!
    guess thats why you guys cant be SOEed :-P

There is no way to get feedback on thats going on right? no way of learning how to improve.

6. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

That would be "them guys" lol ;)

Though, SEOing is a lot easier then getting an ODP listing....though once there, it is pretty much SEOed, as the link is not nofollow, and depending on your site name it can even have decent anchor text ;) Of course, on the down side, the page you are listed on will hold less power as DMOZ gets cloned so there is that duplicate content issue.

*shrug*

It IS worth submitting once though, but once that is done, the best thing to do is to simply forget. Treat it like any other free directory.

7. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh no that's not true at all. As you can see from this forum, people shoot at editors over and over again. ;)

Seriously though, you have misunderstood the nature of the directory, which is quite simply not a listing service. So we appreciate your site suggestion because it makes it easier for editors to notice your site if they decide to work in that category, but that's all. There is absolutely no need to keep suggesting it over and over again in different categories. That just creates more work for volunteers if they have to move it to the correct category.
    We don't mind at all if people suggest once to the wrong category, and we are used to finding more appropriate homes for sites, but doing so repeatedly is very unhelpful and time-wasting for everyone. That's why it says very clearly on the suggestion form

makrhod, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  8. darkdrgn2k

darkdrgn2k Active Member

Best Answers:
    Shoot @ Editors, good joke.

I understand the directory quite well. It is sopposed to be a list of links quality links, that are best described in a category.

I guess the fact non quality site "plug up" the pipe work is the same reason why every 5th site you find during a google query is a spamdex:(

Just wish there was some place to talk to those people (no, not beg).. but alas.... no such luck as im sure 99% of the ppl would be begging.. right :-P

Any way of finding out if it IS been declined and for what reason?

9. arrisweb

arrisweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When I hear about DMOZ I have headache. First time I submitted 6 year ago, till this time none of my site get to dmoz (except one none English site, increadible, right?) . I think about reasons: 1. lazy editors, 2. they don't care, 3. number of sites is huge (no need to add more). And of course they are volunteers. Or it is simple like: you don't pay, you don't get (cause DMOZ is free).

arrisweb, Jan 14, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  10. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    You got the last one right, anyway. ;)
    How can someone be "lazy" at a hobby which is their choice? If it is not your choice, that's fine, but it's really not fair to criticise people who decide to spend some of their time on building the directory.

As for not caring, I'm sure there are a great many editors who are interested only in a small section of the directory, rather than the whole thing. And that's OK too, because every edit helps. The fact they might not care about the particular topic of interest to you is certainly not an indication that none of them care about DMOZ. After all, they are volunteering their time ... ;)

There are certainly a lot of sites listed in DMOZ. That's why it is the biggest human-edited directory. :) But new sites are added every day, all over the directory, and the primary goal of the editorial community is to make the directory bigger and better.

makrhod, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  11. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Apply to be an editor of the directory. just be honest and open on the application.
    Becoming an ODP Editor

Caesar1, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  12. darkdrgn2k

darkdrgn2k Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well i will when i have some time.

Well see what happens.. *SUGH*

darkdrgn2k, Jan 15, 2009 IP
  13. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Be honest and you'll be removed (that is if your even accepted they'll probably reject you since your evil webmaster) for conflict of interests, favoritism or which ever BS reason without single proof metas can think off. :p

Best way to get in is to create realistic fake profile (which has no ties to evil webamasters who want to destroy DMOZ) but if your applying for some commercial category I doubt it will help since they probably consider anyone joining those a spammer which they probably are. :rolleyes:

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 15, 2009 IP
  14. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes indeed. As clearly stated here: http://www.dmoz.org/guidelines/conflict.html

But honest editors who want to help build and improve the directory are always welcome. :)

makrhod, Jan 15, 2009 IP
  15. neller-weller

neller-weller Peon

Best Answers:
    Strange thing happened to me once, I submitted a clients site to DMOZ and to my 'wow' it was accepted. At least I checked backlinks on the clients site on google and it said it was listed. But when I tried to brag about it to my colleagues, could I find the listing, could i f***.
    So if you do actually get lucky and accepted into DMOZ, take it with a pinch of bitter, bitter salt.

neller-weller, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  16. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Usually evidence is required to convict someone, if prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner are the same person like metas work, no evidence is need and anyone can be found guilty of anything, good thing metas don't cover criminal law or they would have sent thousands to electric chair even for jaywalking. :p

If they are masochists sure, you get to work hard, get treated like looser or ignorant child especially if you have any kind of website and get removed if some metas ego gets hurt. :(

Weird things happened in there, one editor comes along and lists submit website, meta comes along and removes listed websites screaming guidelines, another meta comes and lists it again, somebody removes it... and nobody knows how to interpret guidelines correctly since each person can form his/her own opinion on them and hope its not too much in conflict with some meta. :rolleyes:

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  17. aspardeshi

aspardeshi Peon

Best Answers:
    i submitted my website 5 years back and still watching the show. It is ridiculous. anyways it is not going to do any good, no special benefit, just list it and leave it to your fate.

aspardeshi, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  18. themetalpeddler

themetalpeddler Peon

Best Answers:
    I submitted mine 5 years ago too. Nada. I just did a search & there are 5 listings for our main product, listed in different (and mostly inappropriate) categories.
    5 years ago, when I submitted, there were no other listings for it. :(

ETA: The 5 listings there now are not mine, rather 5 other sites who also manufacture our main product.

themetalpeddler, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    They crashed and lost ALL their queues back in 05. You may wish to re-submit...

Wait a minute... I thought you said NADA? *boggle*

OH... you didn't have a listing 5 years ago. Gotcha!

Qryztufre, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  20. themetalpeddler

themetalpeddler Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I meant there are now 5 other competitor websites who have been accepted but they are in pretty random categories. One competitor was accepted for the category I submitted to.

I'll try resubmitting since it crashed sometime in between my original attempt.

themetalpeddler, Feb 3, 2009 IP