1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Maybe *This* Is How The War On Marijuana Ends

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by dirtyp, Feb 1, 2009.

A rural Illinois jury has found one of their peers innocent in a marijuana case that would have sent him to prison. Loren Swift (pictured below) was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to deliver, and he faced a mandatory minimum of six years behind bars.

According to Dan Churney at MyWebTimes, several jurors were seen shaking Swift's hand after the verdict, a couple of them were talking and laughing with Swift and his lawyer, and one juror slapped Swift on the back.

The 59-year-old was arrested after officers from a state "drug task force" found 25 pounds of pot and 50 pounds of growing plants in his home in 2007. The Vietnam veteran walks with a cane, has bad knees and feet and says he uses marijuana to relieve body pain, as well as to help cope with post traumatic stress.

This jury exercised their right of jury nullification. Judges and prosecutors never tell you this, but when you serve on a jury, it's not just the defendant on trial. It's the law as well. If you don't like the law and think applying it in this particular case would be unjust, then you don't have to find the defendant guilty, even if the evidence clearly indicates guilt.
    http://waronyou.com/topics/maybe-this-is-how-the-war-on-marijuana-ends/

dirtyp, Feb 1, 2009 IP
  2. amanamission

amanamission Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, we can hope...This is definitely a positive direction, and one which signals the massive widepsread support for cannabis decriminalization. Never give up your right to a jury trial!
    In the end, though, the war on people who use cannabis can only be officially ended by an act of Congress, the Supreme Court, or the President.

amanamission, Feb 1, 2009 IP
  3. korr

korr Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been called up for jury duty several times on pot cases ... I try really hard to not blow my cover but I never get selected for the final jury :D

I'd have no problem being the stubborn mule that argues for nullification to the jury, I just have to somehow convince the prosecutors that I won't

korr, Feb 1, 2009 IP
  4. SolutionX

SolutionX Peon

Best Answers:
    maybe this is how the war on assholes starts

SolutionX, Feb 1, 2009 IP
  5. cientificoloco

cientificoloco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    war on marihuana is ridiculous

cientificoloco, Feb 1, 2009 IP
  6. LinkSales

LinkSales Active Member

Best Answers:
    The war on marijuana is ending. People are finally realizing its not the stuff that every one thinks it is. The older generations are dying off and losing their ideological stranglehold. In a few short years I think we're going to see some huge changes in drug policy. Not from the liberal states, but across the country as a whole. Marijuana proliferation :D

LinkSales, Feb 1, 2009 IP
  7. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm so glad that P&R is at least united on this issue. Government will do whatever it has to to get you on their drugs.

Hah, and these anti-free market idiots are crying about a monopoly, the only monopoly is the state.

ncz_nate, Feb 2, 2009 IP
  8. drmike

drmike Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is awesome! I hope we start seeing more and more cases like this! If we could just get everyone to agree to do this we would be golden!

drmike, Feb 2, 2009 IP
  9. DJMC

DJMC Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't get your hopes up!

This case clearly was decided on MEDICAL grounds....the defendant was using cannabis for medicinal purposes.

If you want to be truly safe from prosecution: Live in a state that has legalized Medical Marijuana.

Here in California, you pay $150 to a doctor who writes a Recommendation for Cannabis (not a prescription, that would violate Federal Law).

Those lucky folks with a "Doctor's Note" can grow up to 12 plants (6 mature females) without fear of cops busting down your door!

DJMC, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  10. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    Ah yes, monopolized medicare - gotta love it. Think you're getting away with something too lol.

ncz_nate, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  11. DJMC

DJMC Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure what you mean by this???

DJMC, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  12. SolutionX

SolutionX Peon

Best Answers:
    You can even invite the Sheriff over to show them off.:D

SolutionX, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  13. ncz_nate

Best Answers:
    Politicians + Favored Doctors = Monopoly

ncz_nate, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  14. SolutionX

SolutionX Peon

Best Answers:
    The only reason they have those special clinics to get the recommendations is because most doctors are still afraid of losing their job or of federal persecution. Also the dispensaries are (or were) getting constantly raided by federal agents.

I've seen it with my own eyes so I do personally know it's not a conspiracy.

Actually, maybe half of the profits go to the hundreds of small time private growers that are keeping the dispensaries stocked.

Any questions about it just PM me.

SolutionX, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  15. scweb

scweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    crack gets you more high anyways :)

scweb, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  16. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    This is a fantastic story that everyone needs to know about. It's time to end these unjust laws. No one deserves to be in jail for what they smoke anymore than they deserve to be in jail for what they drink (see Prohibition in the 1920s.)

Zibblu, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  17. aletheides

aletheides Banned

Best Answers:
    Tru dat!!!!

aletheides, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  18. phpwnes

phpwnes Peon

Best Answers:
    nowdays having small amounts of marijuana is almost harmless but to be busted with a large amount and suspected to sell it thats where the big trouble comes from, and the drug wars will go on as long as the pharmacutical companies pay the feds to keep it illegal

phpwnes, Feb 4, 2009 IP
    SolutionX likes this.
  19. Jammydodger

Jammydodger Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here's a great documentary on cannabis called "The Union The business behind getting high", it gives you the true facts about the drug not some crap that the media and the gov puts out.

Jammydodger, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  20. Valdor

Valdor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It can also be ended by the people rising up and demanding it be made legal, remember that our politicians are elected to represent the people, not dictate to them.

Valdor, Feb 21, 2009 IP
    SolutionX likes this.