1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I'm doing my taxes and I have a simple question to those that already do their own.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rick sample, Jan 31, 2009.

This is the 2nd year I'm doing my own taxes via taxcut. Anyhow, I got married last year. My question is that before we got married and did our state return the year before, I got back $90 and she got back around $120. Our income hasn't changed at all, this year we are filing a joint state return and it says our refund is only $20.

I did some playing around with the program and put as if we were married, but filing separate. The refund for me was almost $100 and the refund for her was almost $100 as well. So why is it so much less if we file together on state returns?

rick sample, Jan 31, 2009 IP
  2. shallowink

shallowink Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    which state? tax laws differ on the state level. I would hazard a guess the tax program missed or miscalculated the standard deduction. Also did the amount of tax deducted from both of your paychecks stay the same?

shallowink, Jan 31, 2009 IP
  3. rick sample

rick sample Peon

Best Answers:

It's for Ohio. Here the state has a free online program. I entered my info in that and in my taxcut software. Both said if we filed jointly we would get back only $20.

Our pay pretty much stayed the same. For example, I made about 700 more. But they also took out a little more state tax as well. We've both always for the last 5 years got back around $100 each from state.

rick sample, Jan 31, 2009 IP