1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Diff in FF and IE6?

Discussion in 'CSS' started by le007, Jan 28, 2009.

le007, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  2. eric.r

eric.r Peon

Best Answers:
    The first step is always to validate your html and css. You have 12 html validation errors and 6 css errors. Chop Chop :p

~eric

eric.r, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  3. le007

le007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks.... any ideas as to the problem??

le007, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  4. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
  5. eric.r

eric.r Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you not realize what we speak of? Validation can cause errors. If you don't believe me then just read the article, or better yet go to tinyurl. com/aewqb7 (Sorry I can't have live links for a few more hours. Then a signature. Phew..)

~eric

eric.r, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  6. le007

le007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the smart replies - I really appreciate sarcasm... NOT

le007, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  7. eric.r

eric.r Peon

Best Answers:
    We are not being sarcastic. Seriously. Validate..

~eric

eric.r, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  8. Kestal

Kestal Peon

Best Answers:
    le007, they do speak the truth. Validation is just that, validation :p Consider all the errors of your website, all the broken tags or improperly spelled values.. fix them, and that's it. Going through and fixing them one by one is the only thing you can do really. http://validator.w3.org/.

Its your holy grail. Sure, if you have errors, chances are, your browsers might pick up on them and fix 'most' of the errors, but bad HTML is bad HTML nonetheless. You might as well learn proper techniques to not only make your website quicker and without horrendous errors, but to be more cross-browser compatible.

Kestal, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  9. Kestal

Kestal Peon

Best Answers:
    Bit of an old article though, wouldn't you agree?
    Despite that, the information inside is pretty much the same idea as what you'd expect from today. Browsers have become a bit more compatible though.

Kestal, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  10. eric.r

eric.r Peon

Best Answers:
    I disagree

There is plenty he can do besides validate his html. Validating his CSS works too. What if nothing works? He can resort to filters. Or he can recode, optimized for IE and do workarounds for others. Since ie controls a total of around 75% of the market of which people view web pages, coding for ie (7) is a must. Remember that just because people view in ie6 does not mean that you have to make them have a identical viewing experience in that browser. Sure if it is completely wrecked and broken in ie6 then yes it is my suggestion to fix majority of those errors. But you should mainly focus on coding in ie7, then see how it looks in firefox, and opera. Chrome is on the same engine as Opera I think so you should be fine there. Also you might want to check ie8 because if corporations were to upgrade their browsers from ie 6 (possibly 7) then this new release of ie8 would be when they do it. Of course we can always hope they upgrade to Firefox or Opera..

Hope I've given you all something to think about

~eric

eric.r, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  11. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    So what does the age of the article have to do with it if it makes the same point? It's very well known by a well known developer.

drhowarddrfine, Jan 29, 2009 IP
    eric.r likes this.
  12. le007

le007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Does anyone have any code? Or something I could change? Thanks :D

le007, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  13. eric.r

eric.r Peon

Best Answers:
    Well lets see. You could change some of your tags from /> to > since your doctype is html 4.01. Oh yea and you can stop using depreciated tags like <u>. Oh I guess I should mention you should VALIDATE FIRST. Need the links?
    http://validator.w3.org <- html validator
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ CSS validator

Get started.

~eric

eric.r, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  14. le007

le007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The funny thing is - its not even for me! Its for a friend, I've been working on it and its not working in both browsers - thats all I need.

le007, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  15. eric.r

eric.r Peon

Best Answers:
    I am done posting here. You refuse to listen. Validation will most certainly help you if not fix your errors. Until you validate your code I can not help, and judging by your attitude and your unhelpfulness to US since WE are the ones helping YOU. I doubt many people will help you in this thread and the future until you can learn to listen. You are the one who needs help. We are telling you to validate. Dude seriously. It takes 3 minutes to validate. If you are that lazy then there is a clean up function on the validator that generates valid code instantly.

We do not care if your doing this for a friend. Validate your code. Don't whine about needing help until you have at least validated your html and css. Sorry if I seem harsh but this is all the truth.

~eric

edit:

Do you think we are telling you to validate your code because we are validation fanatics? There is a genuine reason behind us telling you to validate. Which I have and others, explained in full detail in this thread. Read this article by my idol CSS guru for more details on why to validate.

eric.r, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  16. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I'm with the group on validating, because as I've said time and time again on sites after site, what you have is NOT HTML, it's gibberish.

See this:

<td width='180px'>

Invalid. the width ATTRIBUTE does not take the px phrase to indicate pixels. It ASSUMES pixels on just a number, and can accept %. You do NOT say PX on an attribute, you say it in CSS.

NOT that widths should be declared in modern markup in the first place, or that a simple two column fixed width layout should even be using a table in the first place.

AFTER validating, you may also want to consider bothering to go through with the tab key and actually indent properly - in fact doing so before validation will likely reveal several unneccessary DIV, or unclosed DIV and other tags. There aren't enough elements on the page to warrant more than maybe six DIV total... eight replacing the table - which is why it has eleven, right?

The heading order makes no sense at all. First heading on the page is a H3, jumping to a h4, not a H1 to be found anywhere?

The spans inside that menu - completely pointless. There is nothing being applied there that could not be applied to either the anchor or the LI. Likewise there is no reason to double wrap DIV's around it.

You've got line breaks where there should be paragraphs, paragraph marks around non-paragraph elements, line breaks being used where CSS padding should be in control, and elements like <u> which don't even exist in modern doctypes - like the one the page is trying to use.

... and that's just the HTML - I could go on for hours about the CSS... like the BROKEN reset (yeah, set 20... uhm... 20 what??? on EVERYTHING? - brilliant), not declaring a default font size, not fixing the line height from the start, using font-familiy without a family fallback, use of absolute positioning on elements that shouldn't be absolute positioned - WITH margins none-the-less, multiple instances of the same element like BODY in the same document, etc, etc, etc.

My advice? Chuck it and start over.

deathshadow, Jan 29, 2009 IP
    eric.r likes this.
  17. eric.r

eric.r Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think he should start over per say. Just "tidy" up his page. It will take less time. I didn't bother look at his code but if he is using tables then yea. Chuck it

~eric

eric.r, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  18. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    That's the thing, IMHO it would take less time to start over from scratch.

19. eric.r

eric.r Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on how fast he codes, and if he uses Dreamweaver.

~eric

eric.r, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  20. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Yeah, using dreamweaver pretty much destroys any chance of ever learning to do it correctly, steaming pile of crap that it is.