1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Avoid streamlinenet

Discussion in 'General Business' started by sifu, Mar 12, 2005.

1. R0ck$tAr

R0ck$tAr Guest

Best Answers:
    I have been using them on one of my websites with no problems

R0ck$tAr, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  2. Ade355

Ade355 Peon

Best Answers:
    I just like to add my experience. I had a TERRIBLE time with streamline.net. They were incredibley slow, did not answer support requests and were very tough to pin down. They set back an new business venture of mine by 6 weeks.

They wasted my time and energy on what should be a simple matter of hosting.

Just read more of the comments in this thread , and the past has just come FLOODING back.

I did a little research on Andrew Dollamore's little venture after my unfortunate experience, simply as I had never experienced anything like it in my life in terms of poor service.

In the UK, a company's accounts are public information and downloadable from companies-house.gov.uk. I remember doing research on Dollamore Ltd and Streamlinenet Ltd.

Anyone is free to do their own research.

Ade355, Apr 18, 2006 IP
  3. bazuk

bazuk Guest

Best Answers:
    Hey been with Streamline.net for over 2 years and never had any issues.. Maybe this is because I have never had to contact them... Reading through this forum it appears that lots of people seem to want a premium service from a budget host. How long will it take people to understand that you 'pay for what you get!!!'. Anyway they're great for me but if I had a mission critical site then I would use a more expensive host... Enough said....

O yea one other thing. Just wondering if anyone could tell me why if DP received a message from sifu to clip the first post (which DP did), they decided that they would keep the subject of the first post 'avoid streamlinenet'?

Quite correctly stated in an earlier post DP would not be liable unless they refused to remove something... Well they were asked to remove this but the subject remains... I am an online solicitor by profession and would strongly advise DP to either remove the subject... or replace it with something like... 'subject removed by request' as 'avoid streamlinenet' is now DP's liability.... Just my 2 pennies!!!

Love the forum maybe back.

Have fun :)

bazuk, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  4. harfo32

harfo32 Guest

Best Answers:
    Wow! What a flame war! Having used a US budget hosting company which seemed to spend more time down than up, and the guy who designed and maintains the site was getting pretty pissed off with it (I won't name it because it may have happy, smiling satisfied customers and I don't want to spoil their breakfast) I looked through Web hosting services on Google, found streamline and asked my mate what he thought. Anything is better than X he said. Looks good. So I transferred the site to streamline last June or thereabouts. My only complaint is that they have shifted the server a couple of times without letting us know in advance, which buggers up the php, but we have fixed it and they have been prompt enough at dealing with tickets.
    It's a non commercial site, but quite popular - we get an average of 500 visitors a day. The site contains downloadable mp3's recorded by the members, as well as photos and sheet music (member's compositions). This generates about 10 GB traffic a day. So with nearly a year up I am quite happy with them. I have no connection with them whatsoever other than this - but I think it only fair to show another side of the story.
    harfo32

harfo32, May 8, 2006 IP
  5. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    How much did Streamlinenet pay you guys for your phoney "statements"? Whatever it was, it's not enough. This thread now ranks #2 for Streamlinenet. Can we get it to number 1?

Blogmaster, Jun 27, 2006 IP
    monty2002 likes this.
  6. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Who just repped me? :D:D:D:D

Blogmaster, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  7. bumbleboo

bumbleboo Peon

Best Answers:
    :eek: I found this link to your site by accident, i have had my brother ercommend streamlinenet to me a few years back, but have a domain with 1 & 1 which i was just thinking of transfering to SLN, and I have come across this link. So I am now pretty alarmed as i have never got my web page up and running through 1 & 1, and my brother kept saying get transfered to SLN, and now I have found this.

I am a newbie ;) to all this and seeing things like looseing your web address and over charges ect, I have had my web domain names for years, there both one word, short and catchy. So I find it very worrying when people ae loosing the web names and having got to get knew ones, this would be a nightmare for me for start off as all my stationary , ebay and all are all going to be linked. I am now wanting to get my web space up and running as I no longer have to worry about my ebay and want to tie in my own web space to ebay ect ect.

So all this on here is very :eek: worrying for me as it could cost me dear with ebay as well when they seem to suspend accounts ect.

Has any of these incidents been recent with SLN, or should i stay with 1 & 1 and take one of there packages.........

thanks bumbleboo........newbie........don't care admitting........lol

bumbleboo, Feb 26, 2007 IP
  8. baumann93

baumann93 Peon

Best Answers:
    It is in the third position now Streamlinenet in Google :D I guess a couple more with testimonials would be needed to "bump" it up :)

baumann93, Feb 27, 2007 IP
  9. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Hehe, contextual blog links would be good! ;)

Blogmaster, Feb 27, 2007 IP
  10. stealth1986

stealth1986 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, I have been with streamline for about 6 months now.

They set meup with 5 MySQL databases but you don't actually get the databases unless you write in to complain, then they send out the details of the databases to you!
    The webmail just refuses to work for some reason, I have been with them for months now and it still doesn't work, despite me contacting them about it! Luckily it's all working fine in outlook.

Apart from these two problems, everything is OK.
    Does anyone know of any other hosting companies that I can move to for a reseller account once my contract with streamlinenet is over?

stealth1986, May 15, 2007 IP
  11. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    ok this thread is added to my new site as one of the all time favorites of mine, the only problem is that I have saved the original first post somewhere, but cannot find it. Is there any place where I can retrieve it?

Blogmaster, May 18, 2007 IP
  12. ships-cat

ships-cat Peon

Best Answers:
    Ooooh what an interesting thread. I've hosted around 8 sites with StreamlineNet over the last 3 years (6 of which are still live). My experience has been that - if you're hosting a relatively simple site (and in particular, without database linkups) then they're fine.

I've not been overwhelmed with their support ticket service: they respond to simple requests very quickly, but anything more complicated and the tickets tend to get escalated to 'a senior engineer' and then die of neglect. if you're doing something complicated, and you're not an expert, then Streamline may possibly NOT be the one for you as their support really doesn't seem up to it.

I'm running three e-commerce sites on Streamline (though I'm NOT hosting my database with them) and untill thismorning it all ticked along nicely. However, one is now throwing up a REALLY bad ASP error, and I have reservations as to wether they will be able to do anything about it. ( I know this is an issue with 'their' server, not my code, 'cos the code hasn't changed for over 4 weeks, and the code snippet causing the problem for over 5 months. The database is being used by the two other websites, and THEY are OK, so there is nothing wrong with the database)

They seem to be the cheapest in the business, so I guess it's a case of horses for courses. I guess I'll start moving my more critical applications to other ISP's, but I'll keep my 'fun' and simple sites with them, just 'cos it's so cheap.

I'll keep y'all posted how it goes.

Meow Purr.

ships-cat, May 29, 2007 IP
  13. ships-cat

ships-cat Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I don't know wether STreamline actually did anything, or wether it was some sort of upgrade on Fasthosts servers, but the problem went away.

(sorry to create a new post, but I couldn't work out how to add an 'edit' to my previous post).

Meow Purr.

ships-cat, Jun 17, 2007 IP
    samantha pia likes this.
  14. men8ptb

men8ptb Peon

Best Answers:
    Finally somewhere to vent about this company!

I decided to work on a website this week, but the result is my blood has been boiling with frustration due to unbelievably poor performance from Streamline.net. This evening I decided to search to see if others had similar problems and was greeted by a few review sites that seemed to have Streamline.net posting under various obvious aliases saying how amazing and blisteringly fast the hosting is for their fully interactive PHP/MySQL website.

However, I suppose when someone looking for hosting visits a reviews website to see a disproportionately large number of positive reviews for this company it is easy to see why they still have customers for their appalling service. Add to this the fact that all of the negative views had been rated as "not helpful" and "don't agree" - no doubt by the army of Streamline.net aliases.

Anyway, here are the problems I have faced, and currently face (I still have hosting with them but I am not renewing it) with this company:

- MySQL servers that are beyond a joke in terms of response time and reliability
    - MySQL servers are all completely different versions
    - Server configurations are inconsistent - some are PHP 4, some PHP 5, some have certain features in php.ini turned on and some dont
    - Generic computer generated "technical support" that tells you you're wrong and there's nothing wrong with the service
    - Very poor HTTP performance - extremely frequent timeouts
    - Unreliable FTP - frequent disconnects, uploaded files not appearing on the FTP server until the directories are refreshed
    - Bandwidth issues - when a file is downloaded from my hosting it makes the site unusable for other visitors

Initially all I used my hosting for was a simple homepage and somewhere to put photographs so others could view them. Streamline.net is perfect for this simple hosting scenario, and I was happy. However, introduce any kind of PHP/MySQL application such as a forum or any scripts I had coded and the sites are just unusable.

Their MySQL servers are hosted on a totally different network to the website and are accessed via the Internet rather than via a local socket or local address. Obviously this introduces some latency but Streamline.net's MySQL servers seem to have more problems than that. The site I was building issued a single simple query every time it was accessed, but on more than one occasion at peak time I was greeted with a timeout from this.

If someone else is accessing your forums or any PHP stuff you might have, don't even consider trying to access the site yourself, because both of you will be greeted with a timeout message from your browser.

Sometimes the web performance is satisfactory: in the middle of the night.

For anything more than a simple web page with no database or download requirements, Streamline.net is your perfect hosting company. For anything else, in my opinion, their service is wholly unacceptable.

Given the vast array of features you are lavished with by their misleading advertising and later find out none of it works and/or your site is absolutely not usable, I would say the alleged service purchased by customers of Streamline.net is not fit for purpose.

I suggest they change the cheetah silhouette on their logo to a turtle.

men8ptb, Jul 5, 2007 IP
  15. imagethrust

imagethrust Peon

Best Answers:
    whats that Avoid streamlinenet - iam new

imagethrust, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  16. Darrylles

Darrylles Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

This thread very nearly put me off using Streamlinenet, I'm only glad that I ignored it as it seemed to be in the minority.

I too have had some teething problems with Streamlinenet, but for 35 UKP per year for unlimited email accounts / web-space (along with a good broad selection of web-tools / database options etc) what DO you want?

I certainly did not expect to create web-sites to take over the world via Streamlinenet.

Initially (3 years ago) - the Streamlinenet 'support-ticket' service for support calls left a lot to be desired, but I think that they listened to my (and probably many other) complaints - they certainly respond in a more business-like manner now.

As for the person that wanted to be able to host heavy-duty, business-critical web-sites, perhaps he/she has a point re: misadvertising, but, as a 'business-person' I would have thought that you would not commit to such a service without meeting service representatives first.
    Would you for instance agree to full business insurance for 10% of the normal market value (I'd expect to pay 350 UKP for the service that I get for 35) - without meeting someone in person? If so - then it may be wise to get out of your current business.
    The adage of "If it sounds too good to be true - then it probably is" springs to mind (and any judge would raise this also).
    In the past, I have (as I am sure most of you will have) paid 'top-dollar' for a service and have not received 'top-service'.

I have absolutely no connection with Streamlinenet other than using their service, and have no ulterior motive (apart from wishing to try to put views made in this thread into context).

I can only congratulate Streamlinenet on supplying the level of service that they do - at the price that they supply it. (Please note the caveat).
    As they continue to grow, it seems that their service levels get better along with their charges.

Regards (and in all honesty),

DarrylleS

Darrylles, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  17. WPOSolutions

WPOSolutions Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ive been using streamline.net for approx 2 years, Ive always had good service, and would recommend them for the budget hosting services.

WPOSolutions, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  18. Divisive Cottonwood

Divisive Cottonwood Peon

Best Answers:
    Ha! This is a classic thread :D

Make all the more so by the aggressors suing inclinations!

Divisive Cottonwood, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  19. Divisive Cottonwood

Divisive Cottonwood Peon

Best Answers:
    On google.co.uk this thread is now number two and number three! :D

Consumer complaints have never been so much fun.

Divisive Cottonwood, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  20. Kagato

Kagato Banned

Best Answers:
    I have tried them a few times and even though I dont like their control panel, they seem like a good hosting company.

Kagato, Aug 27, 2007 IP