1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dedicated vs Shared hosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by saha_m, Jun 27, 2006.

Do we have any success story of sites moved to dedicated server from a shared hosting? I am planning to move to a dedicated server for better search results as I don’t have control on bad neighborhood which my site get from shared hosting.

saha_m, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  2. arcon5

arcon5 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have never transferred from Shared to Dedicated - I went straight to dedicated!
    But be careful with your website transfer, sometimes it can create errors - check your scripts and DB requirements ect.

arcon5, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Any site move can cause problems.

One client had a layout heavily dependant on tables and we were looking at changing it radically to get better performance. Decided to hold off until it was moved to the dedicated server - and wow, what a difference. same template, but it loads so fast.

sarahk, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  4. wheel

wheel Peon

Best Answers:
    I would seriously question how well you know for sure that you're taking any sort of penalty for being in a bad neighbourhood. If you're not linking to them, well, it's possible but very tough to say.

If you're sure that some site on the same server that has no relation to you other than a nearby IP address is causing Google to penalize you, then my first thought wouldn't be a dedicated server - it would be to move to shared hosting on another hosting company.

In other words, the move to dedicated to shared would be based on traffic or control issues. Your problem is with your host, just change the host and don't bother with the headaches you'll get from dedicated hosting.

wheel, Jun 27, 2006 IP
  5. arcon5

arcon5 Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe before dedicated, to reduce cost, use VPS Server?

arcon5, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  6. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    i would second a VPS (unless you have a big enough budget for a full dedicated)

just-4-teens, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  7. lightarena

lightarena Banned

Best Answers:
    lightarena, Jun 18, 2011 IP
  8. sambling

sambling Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Vps would be good and you can get some quite cheap plans or you could just buy a seperate IP address then there wouldn't be any need to transfer- your host should do that for you.

sambling, Jun 20, 2011 IP
  9. seoemporium

seoemporium Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dedicated will always be better then shared web hosting.

seoemporium, Jun 23, 2011 IP
  10. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's the best advice here. If you're sure neighbouring servers are causing you issues with your IPs you need to approach your host to deal with it, or move to a different hosting company. Moving to shared hosting with the same provider won't solve the problem, a different host with different IP's will.

RonBrown, Jun 23, 2011 IP
  11. Dominatos

Dominatos Member

Best Answers:
    If dedicated is expensive for a moment- try VPS as a middle. I am sure you will see good difference in performance.

Dominatos, Jun 27, 2011 IP
  12. AdsMakeSense

AdsMakeSense Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dedicated may not be better depending on your expense, as you get lower hardware and you still may a higher price.
    I'd rather be on a Quad CPU (16 CPU) setup with below 1 CPU Load at anytime on a shared host than be on a low powered dedicated lets say single CPU, 4 core single CPU xeon.

AdsMakeSense, Jun 28, 2011 IP
  13. HurleyInternet

HurleyInternet Peon

Best Answers:
    If it is definitely neighboring shared servers causing the issues your experiencing, then you should just move to another shared hosting package with another provider as you shouldn't have this problem, any reputable web host will tell you the same. If you did migrate from your shared hosting to a dedicated server just make sure you properly back up everything and ensure everything is working before you point at the new server.

HurleyInternet, Jun 28, 2011 IP