1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is my SEO company useless?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by petes1980, Jan 28, 2009.

I'm a little concerned about the SEO company we use to do our link building. Our site used to be PR4 but is now PR3. We have had different companies do SEO for us over the last 4 years, all who do their own link building strategy. However we have never achieved better than PR4. Our website is extremely prominent over a vast number of related Forums and linked to by many related websites. Are they doing something wrong? is there a reason why our site would not be able to achieve better than PR4?

petes1980, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  2. x-termin8or

x-termin8or Banned

Best Answers:
    Don't worry too much about the Google Toolbar PageRank as it is outdated and not an accurate measure of how well your website is ranking on search engines.

Focus primarly on Search Engine Results, rankings, traffic and conversions.

x-termin8or, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  3. adammiller

adammiller Peon

Best Answers:
    Pete- PR isn't as important a metric as people make out- sure it's a trust factor but I'd pay more attention to your number of sales, traffic and rankings- all of which I'd prefer to increase (in that order) over PR.

If these have increased- they're doing their job. My two cents!

adammiller, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  4. dominik99

dominik99 Guest

Best Answers:
    It seemed that you are not aware with what your seo company did. You miss a big point!

I'm not sure the reason you outsourced your backlink and seo things. It can be done by your side. At least you can outsources partially but still manage the whole process of promoting your site, rather than give it all to "black box seo company"

dominik99, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  5. petes1980

petes1980 Peon

Best Answers:
    I outsourced the off page SEO as this is an area i'm not too familiar with and don't have too much spare time for things like link building. I try and do as much on page SEO as i can in house as well as some blog articles but i also have to manage the running of more than one online business so something had to be outsourced.

6. x-termin8or

x-termin8or Banned

Best Answers:
    There's nothing wrong in outsourcing it as long as you know the other SEO company is doing a good job and know what they are doing.

x-termin8or, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  7. dietcola

dietcola Member

Best Answers:
    ez now pete1980 - your page rank dropping is a little worrying... id contact your seo and ask them for a report containing everything they have done concerning your firm... from there id look yourself at the backlinks they have made and where they are, what they re promoting and how they are doing it...

blogs n forums will get you so far, links from other related website are the way forward the free stuff is just back up... i.e adding mroe credability....

i dont really understand what your asking... are they useless cos youve not seen movement in the serp list?

link building does take time and if you go out n hammer it then your more likely to get pinged for being black hat ish - so it is a process which needs to be mapped over a few months even years sometimes...

if your worried they aint helping have a meeting, discuss what the crack is and what u wanted to see and take the steps be it with them or someone else to move forward!

peace

dietcola, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  8. petes1980

petes1980 Peon

Best Answers:
    to be honest the main thing that concerns me is that our PR has gone backwards, they are apparently a credible company and our organic rankings are still very good. We are no1 or 2 in the search engines for our main keywords. Thing is we have been 1 or 2 for a while now, before we enlisted their help. I just don't want us to start slipping backwards in the results as more competition emerges. It could simply be google has changed the way it awards the PR and there's nothing to be overly worried about. I will contact them and see what their opinion is. Just wanted some independant thoughts on the situation.

9. dietcola

dietcola Member

Best Answers:
    it got to be black hat techniques...

building too fast
    building in dodgy places
    just poor link building, minium quality links from crappy blog site or where ever...

id defo be after that report and a big list of ya links to see what they're upto...

trouble is if your PR rank drops you could soon be dropping off the serp list... if it is an un-competative market then u might not see a slip un-till someone starts to com pete, pete...

personally i think they may have been to haevy handed and linked to to many non quality sites (without PR) n thus your juice from your PR gets passed down to them to the point where your site is devauled because the links pointing to ya site are from untrustworthy sources... i.e. the crappy sites are stealing your PR...

I'd def be after that meeting and giving em a kick up the ass...

peace out

10. dietcola

dietcola Member

Best Answers:
    try this thread- forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1206689

11. dietcola

dietcola Member

Best Answers:
    youll have to add the http://

12. petes1980

petes1980 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks dietcola, thats a good thread :)

13. internetbill

internetbill Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You need to look at the traffic you are getting, you need to find out where the majority of your traffic is coming from. This is probably the only way you can really determine if the SEO work being done is of any use.

internetbill, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  14. dreadman

dreadman Peon

Best Answers:
    I think pagerank can distract the real goal of seo well that is in my view anyway .

Pagerank is a good metric but as a site owner what is more important is the traffic you are getting is actually converting into more sales.

dreadman, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  15. maxam265

maxam265 Banned

Best Answers:
    Most SEO comanies focus on SERP and traffic and they do link building just to get advantage of backlinks to generate more traffic,If you are concerned about PR than its better to buy quality links on high PR sites .

maxam265, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  16. WebHostingBucket

WebHostingBucket Banned

Best Answers:
    Don't cares about pr as long as you are not selling links

WebHostingBucket, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  17. humanedited

humanedited Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't be so concerned about PageRank. Has your traffic gone up and are you making more sales with the new SEO company?

humanedited, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  18. petes1980

petes1980 Peon

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by selling links? do you mean charging people to put a link on our website to theirs? if so, we are not doing that. We have no external links at all on our site....although i'm not sure if that in itself is helpful or harmful or neither!

As you can tell, the link building side of things is new to me so trying to gain as much info as possible on it :D

petes1980, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  19. Cindymae

Cindymae Banned

Best Answers:
    hi,

i would like to comment about PR from G and seo company.

First PR is not accurate it does not measure the Search Engine Ranking Position of a certain website. For me, i based on the keyword ranking in google. Lets say one of your keyword rank page 1 in google where exactly helps increase your visitors. nearly happens, it helps increase your ROI.

You site rank depends on the seo company you hired. Not all SEO firm are money earner, there are lot out there deserved their title.

One thing i share to you is to learn well about SEO, sooner you will be aware everything about SEO.

Cheers,

Cindymae
    dlinkers.com

Cindymae, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  20. SEOCunt_com

SEOCunt_com Peon

Best Answers:
    Right.. I have seen a lot of site be arbitrarily capped or demoted to a PR3 (or PR2) for no apparent reason although they were higher before... I think if Google detects anything fishy with the link-building it caps the PR shown in the toolbar to discourage link selling, but it doesn't seem to affect serps.

SEOCunt_com, Jan 29, 2009 IP