1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Would you write for a site you found morally disgusting?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by maddie73, Jan 13, 2009.

If you got offered a chance to make money writing for a site that went against your own morals, and your name wasn't going to be used, would you?

maddie73, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  2. hash1

hash1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sure.. you don't have to like your job. If your motivated by money you will do anything. At least some people...

hash1, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  3. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a varying scale of acceptability. For instance, I would not write for NAMBLA. I do write about health products that don't work, but those who hire me are generally okay with me adding disclaimers and information about scientific testing (and lack thereof).

I have turned down jobs that encourage people to take out credit cards that are not in their best interest. I will write about responsible use of credit though, and how a credit card can be a useful tool.

Y.L. Prinzel, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  4. TheNoose

TheNoose Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sure no one finds killing morally right... but look at all the war. Compared to killing, I'd say writing is a bit better.

TheNoose, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  5. SGBoise

SGBoise Peon

Best Answers:
    No way, I personally wouldn't. Sooner or later you are going to hate doing it and it's going to effect your business and personal life.

I don't know about everyone else but I like to be enjoy life but for me money isn't an issue.

SGBoise, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  6. Goonga

Goonga Banned

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't..

There must be plenty of things you can do which you will also enjoy doing. Nothing more painful than hating yourself for what you have been doing. Stop, in time.

Goonga, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  7. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not unless it was to write the opposing point of view. One of the goals of my freelance writing business is never to take on jobs I won't enjoy. If I did, I wouldn't be able to hate my boss - me.

latoya, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  8. writergirl

writergirl Member

Best Answers:
    For the most part, yes, I would; I tend to agree with hash1.

Money isn't so tight where I feel the need to totally compromise my values and morals. I wouldn't write for anything I found to be blatantly racist or that slams my religion.

writergirl, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  9. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    Like YL Prinzel, I've written about health products that don't work. But luckily, I always have enough room to fit in precautions and words of warning. No client has complained about it so far.

cd928, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  10. Live2Write

Live2Write Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't!

I was working as a marketing writer for affiliate IMer before I became a freelancer. My articles and blogs promoted a brand costing $1500. When I found that its illegit, my conscience hinted me to quit and I did (I was earning much higher than what I am right now; but I'm lot more happier now!)

Live2Write, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  11. aninfo

aninfo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I have turned down a few quite good offers in my life. In fact what I feel is there is no point in working those things which are against your moral. So do the same work which suits your own moral.

Many people will do the work for money but I am not that type of guy who can do any thing for money. I know that is my personal view and other people will have entirely different views then this.

aninfo, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  12. CreativeElement

CreativeElement Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know. For me it depends on the subject but more then not no.

CreativeElement, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  13. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on the subject but I will not write about anything that goes against my basic moral principles.

Ibn Juferi, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  14. Lyzaaaa

Lyzaaaa Peon

Best Answers:
    I won't write on the topic I don't like to discuss
    I can always earn money writing about something I really like and know well

Lyzaaaa, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  15. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    Not me. And I don't have to either so that maybe why. I tend to put part of myself into my copy and I'd have a hard time bonding with something that I find disgusting. That's not to say that I've not done projects others might not agree with morally. There's always someone who will object to something.

webgal, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  16. DocB

DocB Member

Best Answers:
    I think it would depend on how morally opposed you were and whether you could detach from it, but ultimately I'd think if you can find that opportunity then others would also be available to you that wouldn't produce such a dilemma.

DocB, Jan 21, 2009 IP
  17. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are a few extreme topics that degrade women and some that degrade humanity. There is no way I'd write content for such topics. To write a proper article I have to feel comfortable with the topic itself despite the knowledge that my name will no longer be associated with the same, once I have submitted it.

parsibagan, Jan 21, 2009 IP
  18. Ray Edwards

Ray Edwards Member

Best Answers:
    Why help to promote what your soul hates just for the money?
    Is is really worth it? I don't think so.

-Ray Edwards

Ray Edwards, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  19. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not too long after I first had my business website up I was approached by the owner of a Bingo website. That site seemed tame enough but the problem for me was that it was part of a much larger network of online gambling sites.

Had they owned just the bingo website, I might have accepted the project. I'm not opposed to gambling in general but those other sites took things to an all new low.

It could have been quite a profitable client. I might have even been able to specialize in the gambling niche which appears to be a profitable niche for a writer.

In the end, my integrity mattered more to me than the money. Unless the wolves were at the door, I can't imagine myself ever writing for a product that I knew did not work or a service that was designed to prey on people.

YMC, Jan 23, 2009 IP
  20. maddie73

maddie73 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice to know there are so many people here with moral integrity.

This wasn't a subject I was writing on, it was a site I was working for, selling articles to them. I found out they were being sold to a reseller site that was lying to their customers about where they got the content they were selling. As well, I didn't like who they were selling it to, and for what purpose. It was pretty immoral, although it skirted the law.

Plus, the site didn't have a contact link at all, nor did it have any company info on it. The only way you could see what was on the site was to pay them.

I just had a moral problem #1 with the deceit , and #2 with the secrecy and inability to contact them.

I found out who and where they were through a whois search. They were too cheap and stupid to even pay for a proxy.

I thought it over a long time before saying I could not write for that site anymore. Never heard anything back from the place I was selling through, but not worried about it.

My dad always said things work out the way they're supposed to.

maddie73, Jan 24, 2009 IP