1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Standard rates?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by JAMALG, Jan 24, 2009.

So I have been cruising the content needed section and I came across one person who needed someone and they stated that the standard rate was $0.01 so I would only make $5.00.

Is this really the standard rate? I consider myself a very good writer but if I am writing 500 words, it takes me a bit of time so I can form the sentences and all the bells & whistles that go along with a great piece.

Whatever happened to the Copywriter Board?

JAM

JAMALG, Jan 24, 2009 IP
  2. Capistrano

Capistrano Peon

Best Answers:
    In my experience, the low end of the writer's market is characterized by advertised projects that writers submit bids on using a by-the-word-price. The average pay rate on this low end market is 2 cents per word. In my opinion if you are capable of writing quality pieces then your work is worth a minimum of $25 for a 500 word piece and hopefully you don't have to settle for less than that. There are many serious businesses who have no problem paying $25 and much higher for a high quality 500 word text.

Capistrano, Jan 24, 2009 IP
  3. maddie73

maddie73 Peon

Best Answers:
    That's the going rate in India, no doubt...no, wait...they do it for $1 per 500 words.

maddie73, Jan 24, 2009 IP
  4. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    @maddie: I can assure you that $1 per 500 words is not the going rate in India. However, there are many who do it for such rates because they have no morals. On the other hand, those who get their work done from Indians at rates you mentioned have no morals either, because it takes two to tango.

I've gone through posts both in `DP' and other forums and blogs where natives of various countries (sorry, I'd prefer not to name these counties directly) too offer `content writing' at such rates.

Just check out some other sections of this forum and you'll find people from various countries offering their work at $1 per 500 words.

@Jamalg: Search around a bit and build up your portfolio and you can easily get between $10 to $40 per 500 words.

Yes, I am from India and am willing to bear criticism as long as it is constructive and not just finger pointing.

parsibagan, Jan 24, 2009 IP
  5. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    Jam, it's the going rate here at DP so if you're looking for rates you think you deserve, I suggest you look for work somewhere else. And the prices here are such because a lot of providers here don't know any better.

cd928, Jan 24, 2009 IP
  6. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    @cd928: I've done work for `DP' members at $3 per 500 words. Though this amount is not close to what I mentioned above, it is far better than $1 per 500 words. :)

parsibagan, Jan 24, 2009 IP
  7. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to find the "real" gigs at DP (and there are many), it's going to take time. You need to post (not ads, but something adding value to the community in areas your target market frequents), build a reputation on the forum (and I don't mean obsessing over iTrader - that barely matters to more serious buyers who will check you out instead through your portfolio and client testimonials and such), and have a professional site up (rates included works best with people here I've found - then you won't be contacted by people who can't afford your rates, which save time and a headache). Include the site link in your sig. Also network with other writers. Much of the business happening underground here happens through referrals. Until you have several clients at your normal rates able to refer you, it's a good idea to have other writers familiar with what you offer, so they can.

jhmattern, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  8. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    Why work for $3 when you can earn at least 5 times more than that? ;) What I'm trying to say is that if you think you're at least a decent writer, don't undercharge.

cd928, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  9. s.miller

s.miller Peon

Best Answers:
    how much the rate for writing salescopy/salesletter?

where can i find the good copywriter at the best price?

tq

s.miller, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  10. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot for your encouraging words. It’s hardly been a year since I've sown the seed and I do not wish to jump. However, your words inspire me to soar higher and, I hope that I reach the target you've mentioned very soon. Thanks once again for the same.

@jhmattern: I always read your posts a number of times and am amazed. The words flow poetically. I have some posts in `Ezinearticles’ but am unsure if it is allowed to put a link to the same in my signature. As far as my own site is concerned, I’ll see if I can set up one. The last time I did any `html’ coding was way back in the mid 90’s and I know just the basic tags. Sigh! I feel ashamed to publish this crap after going through your post. :(

parsibagan, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  11. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    As others have said, no, this is not standard. It may be standard for the client and what he/she is willing to spend. Really, I don't know that there is a standard- even on DP. There are those who work for less that a penny a word (Micro or Nano cents per CD and Espresso:)), there are those who work for .02-.05 per word, .06-.15 and so on.

Figure out what you need to survive and then find clients who can and will pay that. You do need to make sure your abilities match up with your fees. Writers who are not very good and expect to make $150k a year will have a hard time meeting that goal. :)

Y.L. Prinzel, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  12. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you can include a link to your ezinearticles submissions in your sig. I'd suggest your own site though. It looks more professional.

You don't have to know how to code anything yourself. Host a site on a Wordpress installation, and you can find any number of free or premium themes that would work well for a portfolio / professional site. I've coded a few sites from scratch in the past, but now all of my sites are template-based and it hasn't affected sales or traffic at all to make the switch. I'd suggest hosting your own site though, rather than using a free host like Wordpress.com (download from Wordpress.org instead).

jhmattern, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  13. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you continue to sharpen your writing and marketing skills, you'll be surprised how easy it is to get past the rates you're working for now. I suggest you invest in books. Sure, you'll get some great advice here but some books provide you with the road map to where you should be going. Good luck!

Exactly. The rates doesn't really need to be that high. It all depends on how much money you think you need to survive and to make you feel contented.

cd928, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  14. prowriter

prowriter Peon

Best Answers:
    I started out with my first paying job making less then $1 an article (I took a mass article job) Today I get anywhere from $5 to $25 per article. It depends on a variety of incidentals; such as: how many articles, repeat client, research involved, is it for a submission package, blog package, ect. I charge based on the job....no set fee. This is probably not the norm, but it has worked for me.

Am I happy with one cent a word? No, but I'm not disappointed either. I'd much rather have the $25 articles but I have to make a living too :) Do what is comfortable for you and you can't go wrong.

prowriter, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  15. Ray Edwards

Ray Edwards Member

Best Answers:
    I just can't get myself to imagine how someone will charge $1 for an article
    except they are stealing and not writing it! I started writing articles at
    $75 a pop and now charge $150 per article.

Imagine writing 150 articles for the price of one??

-Ray Edwards

Ray Edwards, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  16. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure what the Copywriter Board is - Is that a different site? Anyhow, I agree with you about the rate. And yes, it can take some time to create a beautiful thought out article. I can sometimes spend a whole day constructing five hundred words worth reading, maybe even longer :)

I think I'm worth that :). Certainly there's usually no depreciation in value of a well written piece. It will last a long time!

No, that's not a going rate, I think even spinned content costs more! :p
    I've seen people go low, just to get started, but like you said, it's all walks of life, not just the Indian professionals.
    Hi, what do you recommend to providers that don't know any better? At least can you suggest an alternative selling place, please? Thanks!

I'd rather have that too! I believe I'm worth it. Competition is stiff, and family needs often cause me to sell myself short. What's comfortable for me today sometimes brings regret tomorrow. But, you're right, we got to make those living dollars!

@jhmattern- your suggestion about ezine in signature has helped me figure out something else - a path I need to take in regards to a portfolio. Thanks!

As for me, not being perfect in English also causes me to not be proud of myself sometimes.

Karen May Jones, Jan 25, 2009 IP
  17. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you when you said about doing what is comfortable for you, or what you think would suit the lifestyle you live.

But on the other hand, you'll also earn more if you work smart. As Ray put it, why work for 150, $1 articles when you can write one article for $150? With the hour or so that you spend writing that article, you can spend your extra time writing more articles worth around $150 too.

Hi Joy. As Jenn said a number of times already, learn how to market yourself. Show people what you can do and you can do that several ways: through forums like this (but remember to be helpful, not irritating), setting up a website and putting your portfolio there, cold contacting prospective clients (show them why they need you and tell them what you can do for them), and finally, by sending out pitches to publications.

There's a big writing market outside of the net. You should explore that too. :)

cd928, Jan 25, 2009 IP
    JoyGoRound likes this.
  18. Stephanie Mojica

Stephanie Mojica Guest

Best Answers:
    Writing $25 articles can be done, but unfortunately the market has gotten so saturated with $1 articles it's hard for good writers to make money anymore.

Stephanie Mojica, Jan 27, 2009 IP
  19. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think so. There's always demand for quality. The writer has to find out where his work is needed and then work on developing his marketing skills so he can market himself to the people who are looking for the type of services that he offers. Often writers fail because they look in the wrong places for work. If all fails they can write for themselves than for others, writing ebooks/blogging/developing-flipping quality websites and so on.

When you are in the butcher's shop, everything looks bloody. Change the venues where you are looking for work.

lightless, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  20. WritingConsultation

WritingConsultation Active Member

Best Answers:
    I started off making $1/500 words. Today, I am making an average $750 a month or more. If you take a look at GAF (getAfreelancer), you will find many of those $1/500 words article writing jobs. It depends on whether you are willing to take on the job or not especially when you are new in the industry. As you go along, you will find better opportunities with better pay rate.

WritingConsultation, Jan 29, 2009 IP