1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Most Submissions Are Rejected By DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by frederrick, Nov 8, 2007.

1. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We'll really know it is no longer a factor when we cease to see people who spend more time on forums saying so than others spend on full-time jobs. :p

robjones, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  2. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Where/when did this happen?

joeventura, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Qryztufre, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  4. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Please keep saying this, Q. With any luck the belligerent webmasters and ex-editors might one day believe it and just let us get on with our hobby of building the largest human edited directory categorised for anyone who wants or needs the web so organised.

If one person a year finds my work helpful then that's fine, if 100 people find my work helpful that's fine, I am happy to do the work if anyone wants to use it.

Oh forgot that you were one of those exeditors who seems to have more of a passion for hating the directory than we do for working in it and that takes some doing. Strange that, I think if I had fallen out with something, then my threshold for berating it would be quite low. Unless I really wished I was still with the organisation, you spend so much time on here posting, Q, you must value the directory more than gold dust. But that does seem to be in conflict with your post.

At least Ivor is honest about being bitter and twisted and can't unknot himself. Though ODP does list some good psychoanalysts http://www.dmoz.org/Science/Social_Sciences/Psychology/Psychoanalytic_and_Psychodynamic/ whom I am sure can help.

Anonymously, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  5. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    See, there ya go again, plucking out random words and missing the point.

Maybe my should up posts I jumble, they to see read twisted if any those more views by those are with the easily. :D

makrhod, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  6. joeventura

Best Answers:

Ok so why are we here talking about ODP? :confused:

ummmmm Nevermind!!!

hahhaha with my luck my site will get listed on ODP tomorrow, now that I don't care!!

joeventura, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  7. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    The editors are on here to try and help people understand what ODP is about and how it works, to answer questions about becoming an editor and expectations when submitting a site.

I cannot imagine why none editors spend hours on here, they must be nuts.:D

Anonymously, Jan 23, 2009 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    You still have not answered if you care.

It's fun :D

Qryztufre, Jan 23, 2009 IP
  9. joeventura

Best Answers:

My contention is that if it was widely known and publicized that Google no longer counts on ODP for anything (like as text in the Suggest a Site box) the editors would not have to deal with such a large pool of suggested sites. (i.e. ZERO)

Time for a new thread!!

joeventura, Jan 23, 2009 IP
  10. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Really?
    Well, I guess you must have all my posts on a sort of "Auto-ignore" system. Nothing I can do about that. :)
    A more rational person might wonder why anyone would spend several years and many thousands of hours of their free time undertaking nearly 100,000 edits and countless other activities to build and improve something they didn't care about.
    But then this is not the place to find rationality. ;)

makrhod, Jan 23, 2009 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Do you care about who actually uses the directory, the end user according to what the ODP claims them to be (not the webmasters). You did say that you cared about the directory, but if you do not care about who is looking at it, then why bother? For the editors in this thread to say they do not care about the end user shows to many that the editors in this thread are NOT following the original goals of the odp, unless of course you are all taking Skrenta's lead and just using it as a personal listing service.

Yeah yeah, you can have a super collection of stamps or coins and not care who sees them, but those are generally private collections. The collection of links in the ODP is in the public eye and as such the public eye should be something you care about...

I may have misread your posts, but tell me, have I misread this:
    Or this...

Qryztufre, Jan 23, 2009 IP
  12. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Here we go again, we have told you that we want to collect sites and categorise them as our hobby. They are available for anyone to use. No wonder you left after such a short time if you need to ask "Why bother"

Your understanding and use of English is so bad. Who has been debating caring about anyone, this is not a love fest. We have said that if no one looks at our work, we would still do it, we would do it so that it exists, we want to create it. If its useful to some fine, if not fine. That has nothing to do with the people it has something to do with if it makes a difference to us if the directory is well thumbed or lightly thumbed.

Do you think that the painters who died in poverty had any concern that people did not look at their paintings, they would be surprised to discover how their works are now revered. They painted because they wanted to do so more than anything else. They did not paint with a viewer in mind, they did what was their passion, what they wanted to commit to canvass. See any parallels in what I am saying or do I need to spell everything out for you?

And the logic of this therefore escapes me
    I do care to make this the best I can, for my own satisfaction.

What were you seeking to do,Q?

It's an editing substitute. If you can't do the real thing then one has to take second or third best.

Anonymously, Jan 23, 2009 IP
  13. Misato

Misato Guest

Best Answers:
    Just an update...

Its been 12 days since I submitted my application and have never heard from anyone yet. Maybe I am being fully diagnosed due to my 'affiliations'. But everything is kewl though if that would be the case.

Just checking...

Misato, Jan 24, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  14. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Sometimes it took over 2 weeks just to get approval or rejection for new categories while I was editor and this was back in 2005 when there few more people working on it, so new applications probably can take lot longer today especially if it involves person from DP.

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 24, 2009 IP
  15. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Some applications are accepted or rejected within hours. Others wait longer for review, which is done by volunteers, so no time frames can be given, but all applicants receive feedback after their application has been reviewed.
    If you have heard nothing after 14 days, you are welcome to check on the status of your application by posting in the editor-run forum: "Becoming an Editor"
    NB there are guidelines for posting at the top of that forum, so please read and follow them.

Whether or not an applicant is a member of this, or any other forum, is completely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is whether the application form is completed carefully and honestly. :)

makrhod, Jan 24, 2009 IP
  16. Misato

Misato Guest

Best Answers:
    We have 2 new sites that were working on how should I add it as our site that we own ?

day18 and haven't heard from anyone on my apps. seems everyone kind of busy after the chinese new year and with president obama. :p

Misato, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  17. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Have you checked as makrhod suggested?

Anonymously, Jan 30, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.