1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Microsoft sales drops again, future income uncertain

Discussion in 'Bing' started by drhowarddrfine, Jan 22, 2009.

As I had predicted three months ago, Microsoft reported quarterly earnings this morning and they were dismal. Even worse than I thought they would be and down for the third straight quarter.

Operating income, net income and diluted earnings per share for the quarter were $5.94 billion, $4.17 billion and $0.47, declines of 8%, 11% and 6%, respectively, despite that during the quarter, Microsoft showcased significant new product by debuting Windows 7, Windows Azure, Office Web applications, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Office Communications Server 2007 R2.

Microsoft also states the future is uncertain. Chris Liddell, chief financial officer at Microsoft: "We are planning for economic uncertainty to continue through the remainder of the fiscal year, almost certainly leading to lower revenue and earnings for the second half relative to the previous year.

Microsoft also stated it is no longer able to offer quantitative revenue and EPS guidance for the balance of this fiscal year.

drhowarddrfine, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  2. ProWebTalk

ProWebTalk Banned

Best Answers:
    "future income uncertain" that is a joke... Microsoft has a 90%ish (somewhere around there) share in OP software... they will have income for a long time to come.

ProWebTalk, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  3. kadesmith

kadesmith Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks like it is time for them to become a little more serious about the advertising dollar that is Google's sugar momma. They seriously need to get a piece of that pie.

kadesmith, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  4. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you not read what Microsoft said above?

5. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Apple and Google both reported today, too. Apple crossed $10 billion in sales for the first time while Google jumped 18% up.

6. MrHarper

MrHarper Guest

Best Answers:
    Poor Microsoft :(
    They've admitted they made lots of mistakes with Vista, and whilst Windows 7 is a big improvement, they are still not going in the right direction IMO.
    The search engine battle is still going on.. I don't know a single person who uses MSN/Live for searching now. They should make a new offer for Yahoo.
    But I think IE usage is increasing.. then again they once more have legal issues over bundling it with Windows.

They are still making a LOT of money, and I don't think they will fall for many years even if they never released another peice of software, but the road ahead is bumpy.

EDIT: Ooh, this was my 500th post :p

MrHarper, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  7. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    No. IE has lost market share almost every month for the past 4 years and has dropped from a high of 95% to its current mark of 68%.

8. MrHarper

MrHarper Guest

Best Answers:
    Wow. I didn't know IE was ever at 95%.. jesus that is high.
    I thought, at the height of IE, NetScape was at about 20% and IE 60% and the other browsers covered the rest.

95 PERCENT? :p

MrHarper, Jan 22, 2009 IP
  9. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Microsoft surely lacks the willingness and eager to snatch a pie of the Google's revenue....

It can no longer rely on just OS licensing revenue to do wonders....at least not anymore..

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Jan 22, 2009 IP