1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much a typical webmaster earn?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Irfi0009, Jan 20, 2009.

I am a new webmaster, 2 years old. This is a huge field so i will say I am still junior:). I am just curious and want to know how much a typical webmaster earn in average (per month from one website).
    Please also state do you think an ad based website can earn a lively hood?

Irfi0009, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  2. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    From zero to millions it is so diverse

Yes, some ad based sites bring in high $$$$$

The key is unique content, traffic and sticky pages (some of many points too many to list)

britishguy, Jan 20, 2009 IP
    rsuog likes this.
  3. ronmac

ronmac Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Question is like; how much on average does a shop make?

There is no answer. Make a motivational target and try to achieve it

ronmac, Jan 20, 2009 IP
    awsome_wahyu likes this.
  4. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think avg of $1000 monthly per site. It takes years to build such sites.

olddocks, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  5. Irfi0009

Irfi0009 Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your replies, I am in learning phase, i know most of you might have spent many years in this field where as i have only spent two years so i am just a student in front of you. I would really like to seek guidance from all of you. Right now, i had registered many websites at a point but then i dropped them due to the fact that i cannot give time to all of them. I only left 3 websites in my collection, two of them are forums and one is my business website. BTW I am team leader of a web development team. I have developed hundreds of websites for many clients so I decided to spend some time on my own websites.
    I came across DP and the setup is good so I have seen many webmasters staying here, i decided to join as well so that i may learn some thing from you people. I hope senior webmasters here show some sympathy and teach me some techniques to become a real webmaster.
    As per my post, I wont tell a lie, after two years of efforts, Now i am only at an income stream of $10 per month and even less in average with a traffic of less than 100. At this point, I am losing my patience, What really should i do to improve? I will very very very thankful to you if you will share a very little of your experience with me, If you dont want to share in public then please PM me. I could have posted the URLs to my websites but due to this forum policy i cant but i will send you the links if you agree to help.
    Thanks in advance :)

6. fundu

fundu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'd recommend you to look in the various threads on this forum. There are many good threads that can help you. Webmastering can't be taught as different webmasters use different techniques. Though the base of all the techniques is pretty much same but still they are different.

In order to get traffic you should learn about SEO as organic and good traffic comes only by search engines. As your organic traffic increases you'll be able to earn more from your websites. I've learned most of the things using google. Google is webmaster's best friend, Search google for different SEO technique and Ad placement technique articles. Try them on your websites and try to find out which one works out best for you.

fundu, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  7. amazingserviceprovider

amazingserviceprovider Peon

Best Answers:
    You can earn 0 to 1000 dollars a month, at the starting, when you grow up, and learn more, you can earn more.

amazingserviceprovider, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  8. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    see! you have answered your own question.

olddocks, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  9. ObliviousOne

ObliviousOne Banned

Best Answers:
    Ive been a webmaster for 7 months now, I earn about $40ish a month, and its increasing, this month I will have earned $100ish thanks to contests and my new servers that im selling hosting on.

ObliviousOne, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  10. Irfi0009

Irfi0009 Banned

Best Answers:
    No actually i meant that i didnt have time for all of those websites so i decided to keep 3 of them. I am spending a lot of time on these website but i dont have guidance from any one. I am doing every thing at my own, that is why i am here to have guidance from you all

11. Bannanaman

Bannanaman Peon

Best Answers:
    I earn about 100 usd per day from my websites. I worked very hard to build them but now spend about 30 mins a day maintaining them

Bannanaman, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  12. rsuog

rsuog Peon

Best Answers:
    agree. niche is also an important factor - some advertisers pay more, some less.

rsuog, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  13. DocB

DocB Member

Best Answers:
    I'm wondering if you're approaching this from the wrong end of things. Rather than trying to compare yourself to webmasters worldwide and the endless variables of websites, experience, opportunity etc why not determine what you need to make each month to earn a satisfactory living. With the wonders of the internet you could be working from a place that's cheap to live in as compared to somewhere prohibitively expensive and thus this is going to be particular to you. Once you work out what you need to live on, work out what you need to do to achieve that -- eg number of hours you're willing or able to work, the kinds of products or services you can offer etc. Working backwards from you goal helps you develop a business plan and determine what needs to be done to achieve it. Ideally business growth and success will speed up as you get more experience and you're sites are more developed so there's hope, but measuring success against your own goals and needs will be much better for your own sense of achievement rather than comparing yourself to others. Sure it's nice to know how you fit in with others, but don't get too hung up on the comparisons.

DocB, Jan 20, 2009 IP
  14. ali123

ali123 Peon

Best Answers:
    sorry but honestly this isn't a smart question, it's to diverse

ali123, Jan 21, 2009 IP
  15. xriotdotbiz

xriotdotbiz Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't have any solid advice about the dollars, but I do know traffic equals dollars. On the traffic side I advise spending time posting on blogs and web site on your topics of the forums. Make it a daily discipline, and if they have a top commenters section be sure and reach it. Best free way to get traffic and the people who will return often to your site.

xriotdotbiz, Jan 21, 2009 IP
  16. Irfi0009

Irfi0009 Banned

Best Answers:
    alright so it means I have asked the wrong question, I should have asked how to generate traffic :)

Irfi0009, Jan 21, 2009 IP
  17. lukey372

lukey372 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    most of my rev comes from ad networks so im not making much at the moment.

lukey372, Jan 21, 2009 IP
  18. coun_vincent

coun_vincent Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it's depanded on his skills

coun_vincent, Jan 21, 2009 IP
  19. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is depend how good are you.
    However, it is not hard to earn $500 per month

lifeplayer, Jan 21, 2009 IP
  20. blueT

blueT Peon

Best Answers:
    Just put a banner with a high cpm, and then pull as many traffic as you can. Use link exchange, directory submissions, articles, anything..

blueT, Jan 21, 2009 IP