1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Own Board Doesn't Respect Me

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by g0dfather, Jan 13, 2009.

I really can't stand it any more. I don't even want to go back and run the site. I feel as if they trash me no matter what I do.

I spend a lot of time & patience in to the board, adding new features of what I think they want and what do I get out of it? A bunch of dis-respect.

I'm sick of it. I won't even sign on my own board any more.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I'm just tempted to shut it down.

g0dfather, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  2. Duberz

Duberz Banned

Best Answers:
    don't you have moderators?

maybe make an example of some bad apples by banning them
    [​IMG]

Duberz, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  3. TheNoose

TheNoose Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry but thats pretty funny.

You've gotta step up and take control. Implement some rules and start issuing temporary bans. If that doesn't work, ban them for good.

TheNoose, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  4. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Disrespect, did I read that right, did you say d-i-s-r-e-s-p-e-c-t??

I'll tell what I think the problem is, your too nice. I am a tyrant admin, I'll ban members for trash talk and disrespect. I had one member post two flaming post about me in a thread. So I polity posted - please do not do it again. And the guy did it again. When he got back from his 2 week ban he had a little different attitude.

Members show you disrespect, whip out the ban stick and go to work. My members are nice because I have banned all of the rude ones. Pull the weeds out and you will have a nice garden. Get rid of the trash members and you will have a nice forum.

I have set up 1 week, 2 week, 30 day, 60 day, 90 day and 6 month bans. These work off of infractions. That is what I suggest you do. And start handing out 5 day bans like candy. Foul language - 5 day ban, disrespect - 5 day ban,,,,,,,,,

~kev~, Jan 13, 2009 IP
    kentuckyslone likes this.
  5. GWHN

GWHN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've looked through your forum, there seems to be no structure. I do realise its a sports forum.. but you need to have areas like "introduce" but most of all you need an Announcements forum. where only you can post.. If they post elsewhere and bag you out. I'm sure you can find it in you to bann them and let them all know not to putdown an admin.

Another thing is Moderators, yes you need some.. you have to choose people within the community that are respected. This helps the others behavior.. as the moderator is one of their peers..

I think this will help you solve your problem.

GWHN, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  6. ken123

ken123 Peon

Best Answers:
    You need some good quality moderators. Check my forum, I have 5 moderators and we remove spammers once we saw them. Respect comes from both sides.

ken123, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  7. g0dfather

g0dfather Peon

Best Answers:
    My site isn't that big. I'm not "nice" but I think I'm more along the lines of "afraid." I am afraid if I hand out infractions or ban people,they're going to leave. I have handed out infractions before and people yell at me. So I am kind of at a cross road.

g0dfather, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  8. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you gotta show them and make the realize that there are rules they have to abide by and some moral ethics if you will, else just do what kev has said. This will hopefully change their attitude.

turbulence, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  9. jezzz

jezzz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Are you active @ forums it also happen with me in one forum where i wasn't active later on i realised and turned it off

jezzz, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  10. 1-3-3-7

1-3-3-7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I checked out your forum briefly and could not find any threads where it showed some disrespect, but you should indeed ban/give infractions to disrespectful members as if you let them get away with such crap the situation will just get worse.

As for them whining about getting infractions etc., tell them that if they want you to respect them, they must respect you first. And if they leave, it's probably for the better.

1-3-3-7, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  11. JohnEvan

JohnEvan Peon

Best Answers:
    You have got an active forum.( I saw the post 2 hours ago, 5 hours ago, and many recent posts going on)And many people are actively participating in it. So try to flourish this more rather then thinking of closing it down.

What you can do about your problem is, announce that you are appointing some new moderators ( who are strict about any misbehavior) and then start banning people (if they do some wrong) and then you will see a lot of change.

JohnEvan, Jan 15, 2009 IP
  12. FightRice

FightRice Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like the animals running the farm!

FightRice, Jan 15, 2009 IP
  13. HumanVirus

HumanVirus Active Member

Best Answers:
    You gotta step up and show them you are the boss.

HumanVirus, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  14. John LaO

John LaO Peon

Best Answers:
    well nobody would want to join and stay in a disrespectful board either.. so make your choice from there..;)

John LaO, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  15. calum

calum Peon

Best Answers:
    Surely if you give infractions to the people who disrespect you and leave it is a good thing?

calum, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  16. Smeey

Smeey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have rules on your board ?

Smeey, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  17. munnakv

munnakv Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some times you need to show them who is the boss. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

munnakv, Jan 19, 2009 IP
  18. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. But when you do get this type of member don't engage them in debate or flame wars with them. Commit your admin actions and stand by them. One of the worst things an admin can do is argue with a member about how they admin the site. Just do what you feel is right for the community and do what you feel is fair.

Also create clear and concise rules. The rules serve as your own guideline to what you will and will not accept. If you have rulse setup before hand and a member breaks these rules then when you commit admin actions members will know it's just.

Good luck.

btw...you can always sell the community if it's not what you want or can handle anymore. I see this all the time.

RectangleMan, Jan 19, 2009 IP
  19. StraightLine

StraightLine Peon

Best Answers:
    well, I agree, you dont want to be the 'power drunk' admin..
    but you dont want to be the forum door mat either..

give out a ban or 2 for trashing the admin.. then the rest should fall into place..

but dont be afraid of your own forum dewd.. its supposed to be fun.. right :D

StraightLine, Jan 19, 2009 IP
  20. add_cents

add_cents Peon

Best Answers:
    I've found that by being active on my own message board and being an expert in my field has helped me to earn respect from my daily visitors.

add_cents, Jan 19, 2009 IP