1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

United States Heading towards a Depression?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by decoyjames, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    The simpler solution is to lower taxes and leave them there. I've never been a fan of handing out checks, because the low lifes that don't work get them too.

Mia, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  2. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't like any of these solutions. Maybe the Keynesian thinking has reached its' limits.

Lexiseek, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  3. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

I have more of my own money to spend, I WILL spend it. And I bet you for damn sure I will spend it better than my government.

Lower taxes = higher revenue. Always has. In fact, short of the overspending by the crappiest congress in years, the Bush tax cuts have actually brought in more revenue year after year than the stifling that the Clinton tax increases did.

In order for things to work, government must also stop spending.

Mia, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  4. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah. The government is addicted to spending the way Pamela Anderson is hooked on Tommy Lee :)

Lexiseek, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  5. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    Uhhhhhh, why do I have a sinking feeling that our economy is going to get much much worse now with Obama?

I was talking with a buddy who works for a bank that received TARP money who is getting laid off. You know how this bank is "restructuring" to save money? They are hiring people from India and replacing a big percentage of their work force with cheap labor. He is having to train this guy from India to do his job and the new guy has no experience in the banking industry.

I just find it ironic that we give these banks money to keep the U.S. economy going, so in turn, they are going to take jobs away from Americans and give it to people who will work for bird seed. That will help the economy....

Sigh....

Firegirl, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  6. Al-Mujahid

Al-Mujahid Banned

Best Answers:
    Without the Arabian aid (Trillions of dollars given to the US) you should not be recovering now. I bet.

Hope your economy will get to better now :) Good luck.

Al-Mujahid, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  7. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    Because Obama is a candidate without substance. There's no reason to think he's ready for the job anymore than Palin was.

TARP is a complete scam. Banks are using the money for lobbying, for takeovers (which causes more layoffs), and for naming stadiums. What bullshit.

The banks have always been the major crooks. That isn't changing in the new century.

Lexiseek, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  8. web-fanatic

web-fanatic Banned

Best Answers:
    what is exactly recession ?
    the whole world is worried
    a -ve growth rate in the economy ??

web-fanatic, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  9. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes. It's a negative growth rate in GDP for a specific period of quarters. If it goes 8 quarters it becomes a Depression.

Lexiseek, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  10. Bakai

Bakai Guest

Best Answers:
    Buy guns, ammo, canned food. Buy land and raise chickens and live stock. Grow veggies. Grow pot. Brew beer because the world is going to hell in a fucking handbasket.

Bakai, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  11. drmike

drmike Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is my first time looking at this thread and I must say it was quite entertaining seeing the people in the first few pages claiming it simply was crazy talk to even think the US could end up in a recession, let a alone a depression. Also enlightening at how many people actually did see the signs of the economic meltdown.

drmike, Jan 8, 2009 IP
  12. mabsj2

mabsj2 Peon

Best Answers:
    don't know much about economics but i totally agree with him. the economy has too money so going into depression would be impossible

mabsj2, Jan 8, 2009 IP
  13. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Too much money? Issue is not about the amount of money but what is the money worth? Given the blatant printing of money without any real assets backing, money is getting more and more worthless, you can take Zimbabwe as an extreme example.

wisdomtool, Jan 8, 2009 IP
  14. PioneerGold

PioneerGold Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think they were joking...

I hope they were joking! :confused:

PioneerGold, Jan 8, 2009 IP
  15. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    Technically, isn't too much money part of the problem too? If everyone has money, or they have easy access to it (like holding out their hand and the government stuffing it full of cash), then the dollar loses value because nobody has to do much to earn it. Right?

Firegirl, Jan 8, 2009 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  16. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    That's where inflation comes from. If we keep printing money, next think you know the dollar won't be worth the paper its printed on. For once I wish everyone would take a breather and just leave things alone.

A buddy of mine in High School penciled out a flow chart like this to help me when I was trouble shooting something I kept on F'ing with...

[​IMG]

My thoughts on the economy? Follow the chart.

Mia, Jan 8, 2009 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  17. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I saw two articles on the American real estate markets and thought of Bogart.

One is on current and anticipated weak markets and the second covers strongest markets.

Per the article it suggests that the NYC metro region will take its hits this year as opposed to last year.

Bogart: That suggests to me that 2009 is a good year to shop and bargain hard. I wouldn't buy squat unless I could get a "steal" deal from desperate sellers.

earlpearl, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  18. PioneerGold

Best Answers:
    Why are Bush-supporters so ignorant of the way money, debt, interest, and inflation work in this country?

I guess like minds think alike. :rolleyes:

It must be nice to live in such bliss.

One of the rare times when you are absolutely correct.

Of course, that's not going to happen.

PioneerGold, Jan 12, 2009 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  19. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm so sick and tired of people assuming things when they know NOTHING about who I support.

I don't support Bush at all. I didn't vote for the guy, not once. I'm just realistic when it comes to the fact that he wasn't the only person making all the decisions in the last 4 years that ended up totally f*cking up the country......hell, the last 12 years....Congress, Bush, Clinton. Yes, DEMOCRATS did have a hand in this as well......people need to stop listening to what the media is feeding them and actually do some research....

So learn the facts before you open your mouth, eh?

Firegirl, Jan 13, 2009 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  20. PioneerGold

Best Answers:
    Whoops! :(

Ok, I shouldn't have assumed. :eek:

I ASS-UMED you were one of those types who like to blame the poor (powerless) for the crimes of the rich (powerful), like Mia does all the time.

Live and learn.

And, you're right, the problem is the government-at-large. They created this mess, yet we are supposed to trust them to fix it????

PioneerGold, Jan 13, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.