1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Scam Alert To All Writer's

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Wordsmith, Nov 24, 2008.

1. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I see. I have used a content writer before from here, and he was well set up and took Pay Pal on his site. There were examples of his work on the blog, and the form included all the necessary fields like, key words, phrases, target audience and your website so that he could see what you were writing for.

Turn around time was 48 hours. Very painless.

It seems if so many writers are having this problem with getting stiffed that it would be prudent to take the time to set themselves up with something simple that would give them a little more protection.

Maybe Someone should set up a 5 minute escrow site.

hmansfield, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  2. Malena

Malena Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I read all the thread. :p and there are some things that I would love to share with all of you.

1. 3rd world countries' writers are no different from the rest of the world; while their own economies give them the opportunity to turn $1 USDLL into a bigger local money amount, this amount still will not be enough to pay for their monthly expenses or buy a house. :D I know it was never the intention to offend anyone, just wanted to round up that point.

2. I think that cheaters will always be there and that clients are often taking advantage of neophytes (yes, just like me) who are venturing into this exiting world. While there are many different websites that offer free advice, in most cases, these websites are full of "hot air" and do not offer clear and concise advice. (BTW that sucks!):(

3. I agree particularly on the general concept that each case is different, while in some cases the client will require the best possible content, in other cases, they are only interested in "hot air" content, something to publish without it being repeatedly "iacta alea est". :eek: Nonetheless, I believe that there has to be some middle ground; clients who want high quality also demand prontitude and sometimes a good piece (at least for me) is something I cannot deliver in 5 minutes...

4. I think that getting cheated is something that everyone of us will have to experience at one point or another, it is the way we develop and grow. I must say that I have been fortunate enough. A friend of mine once taught me: "Do not lend more money than what you are willing to loose". With that in mind, I only risk a 1 article time, the client wants -let's say- 30 articles, I send him the first and ask to be paid immediately, if the client takes long or pays quickly that will set the pace for me to ask for payment in advance, on short series (every 5 articles or so) or at the end of the project.

In any case, I do not risk any amount that I am not willing to loose.

Malena, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  3. Malena

Malena Peon

Best Answers:
    By the way. I wanted to comment on that site: essaywriters com, I took on several articles for them, and had quite a set of difficulties, until a moment when I decided to quit altoghether and send them to hell. Let you all know (both seasoned writers and neophytes) beware.:eek::mad:

Malena, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  4. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am not sure, but your above mentioned lock can be circumvented quite easily. Take a screen grab, print out the same and scan it, using scanners that have `character recognition' features and print out the resultant output :(

parsibagan, Dec 30, 2008 IP
  5. makingafriend

makingafriend Active Member

Best Answers:
    well I don't know whats the solution honestly I mean the buyers are having a problem with duplicate content some writers even copy from the actually website it is just getting ridiculous if you ask me...... I mean you paid the writer and you find out that the articles was just copied off of a website online and you cant use them no way I wish there was a fair way to do things or just go with someone with a proven record cheers

makingafriend, Jan 2, 2009 IP
  6. raketeer_mom

raketeer_mom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I just wish that scammers will be out of our way soon. Even me don't know the exact solution of this problem. If you are going the ask the buyers to pay upfront they might think you are a scammer. Maybe a constant communication will be of big help. That is what I did with my client. I constantly communicate with them through IM or here on DP.

raketeer_mom, Jan 3, 2009 IP
  7. icon225

icon225 Peon

Best Answers:
    it seems i have been scammed like this already i am new to this forum and i have already written over 20 articles before taking payment this is just to show clients my quality although some have been really nice about it and said they will order soon some have been posted to ezine article site :(

icon225, Jan 4, 2009 IP
  8. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    You will learn from experience and before long you too will be earning money from this profession :) God Bless

parsibagan, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  9. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess you learned this the hard way...but you should never, ever, ever write free samples. You can show samples of your work, offer testimonials, or offer to give the email address of a former client (with their permission) to a potential client so they can verify that the work was yours.

May I ask why you would continue to write samples without anyone placing any orders?

Y.L. Prinzel, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  10. article marketer

article marketer Peon

Best Answers:
    This thread is interesting and a good warning for newer writers. Personally, on any order over $100, I always ask for a portion of it up front. If they have a good rating then I might trust them. If they contact me directly, and I do not know them or have any way to rate them, I will get a good payment up front, too. This lets me know if they are serious about paying. I also always get incremental payments - where possible. The exception would be if I have done some other work for them before and have come to trust them.

As far as overseas writers goes, I believe they are here to stay. Writers will need to get some new sources for their work. I have used some overseas writers before - and I am not too concerned at this point that they will replace me. What is apt to happen is that the project creator will quickly learn that their English is poor (but not always) and now it will cost them more to correct it - which is more time wasted for them. Hopefully, they will learn to hire a good writer after that experience.

article marketer, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  11. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Once you have worked with someone for a sufficient period, it might be okay to trust them. If the client is really interested and values the supplier, they should not mind paying a small amount up front. The whole thing hinges on mutual trust.

parsibagan, Jan 6, 2009 IP
  12. DavidF9

DavidF9 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Couldn't have said it better. If a client values your services, he will be willing to work on your terms. Take payment upfront whenever possible - it's the ONLY way to make sure you get paid.

If the client doesn't agree to pay on your terms, it's probably best to move on - chances are, they're not worth it.

DavidF9, Jan 7, 2009 IP
  13. writergirl

writergirl Member

Best Answers:
    I still get nervous about payments especially when dealing with someone new, however, blessings have been on my side because no one has ever stiffed me. Sometimes I will ask for 50% up front and now because of our weakened economy, this is a practice that I really want to establish consistently. I also plan on drafting contracts with all clients to ensure my financial safety.

writergirl, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  14. Neeni86

Neeni86 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yea, this is the only way is to either get payment upfront, or like with me since i write articles, I provide them with a sample, and if they like it they pay me then I send them an attachment of the article(s).
    That is how I do it.

Been scammed before so I understand your pain, but we learn as we go.;)

Neeni86, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  15. sarah_harvey

sarah_harvey Active Member

Best Answers:
    The best joke I saw was on elance I think. Someone posted a job with a lengthy description for the kind of writers they need for a small magazine no less. The joke...they are willing to pay $35 a week for 35 articles I think.

I could not believe that and basically thought, "Goodluck with attracting non-english writers!"

sarah_harvey, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  16. bluefox21

bluefox21 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hey, i can do 35 articles of 100 words for $35...wait...a 100 word text can be considered an article? :p

bluefox21, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  17. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree. There was another one on elance about 2 months back. The provider wanted writers capable of delivering 15 articles per day. In order to prove their capability he/she had to deliver 15 samples, as per the specifications of the provider, before their bids were accepted ;)

parsibagan, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  18. bluefox21

bluefox21 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that's not bad, that's pure evil....

bluefox21, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  19. sarah_harvey

sarah_harvey Active Member

Best Answers:
    omg! Seriously... I would die! The thing that comes to mind in a situation like that is... are they trying to get the 15 samples so they can say, "no" and then use it?

Probably.

sarah_harvey, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  20. ditodelacroix

ditodelacroix Peon

Best Answers:
    it's nasty doing dirty job on our work, hmm it's a warn, i hope i'll find good buyer...

ditodelacroix, Jan 17, 2009 IP