1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Venting on Advertising Yourself as a "Cheap Writer"

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by gbartlet, Jan 5, 2009.

When you see that a writer is offering "cheap" services, what do you think of?

I almost always think of the fourth sense of the word (at dictionary.com) meaning "of small value."

So, if I'm looking to hire a writer, I don't want to see the word "cheap." I want "valuable" or "quality" content for my website or article. Branding my name on the web is too precious to me to leave it to a "cheap" writer, so I immediately pass those writers by.

Will clients only begin to value quality content after they have been burned by "cheap" writers (usually its .01 per word or "cheaper,";) but not always, I admit)?

I've been burned by cheap writers before...its not fun. The first article looks great, you put feedback on the thread at DP, you give them an Itrader, only to find out that every article after that looks like it was drug through the mud of misspellings and grammar errors. :confused:

What do you think?

gbartlet, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Here's what I think:

Any writer who tries to market solely (or mostly) on price like that doesn't know enough about business and basic marketing to survive in the long haul - therefore, I've learned not to pay them much mind.

jhmattern, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  3. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    I appreciate their honesty. Doesn't matter to me beyond that :)

Y.L. Prinzel, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  4. Dreamerr

Dreamerr Peon

Best Answers:
    "Cheap Writer" is not even proper English in this context, that would mean a writer who pinches pennies. The proper phrase for a person who writes for cheap would be an "Inexpensive Writer" offering "Cheap Writing" ... that's that kind of cheap quality you will find from a cheap writer ;)

Dreamerr, Jan 5, 2009 IP
    Y.L. Prinzel likes this.
  5. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    Tomorrow, we'll start seeing, "Frugal Writer" posts everywhere :)

Y.L. Prinzel, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  6. ZacharyDavis

ZacharyDavis Guest

Best Answers:
    Half the people writing "cheap writer" don't know what frugal means, and would need a translator to read the dictionary page. That's what I think about "cheap writers"

ZacharyDavis, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  7. chant

chant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Cheap. Fast. Good.

You only get to pick two.

chant, Jan 10, 2009 IP
  8. ohreallymoney

ohreallymoney Banned

Best Answers:
    Can I pick good and cheap?

ohreallymoney, Jan 10, 2009 IP
  9. Misterhippo

Misterhippo Peon

Best Answers:
    lol no, i think for the most part the good/fast/cheap thing doesn't really apply to cheap writing

Misterhippo, Jan 10, 2009 IP
  10. alexa_s

alexa_s Peon

Best Answers:
    I think I understand exactly what you mean, and that this is the totally logical and correct way to look at it. But I still instinctively feel differently about it: my first thought on seeing this thread's subject line, before looking at any of its contents, was "Ooh, good: I'm not the only one who wants to vent about this". :eek:

alexa_s, Jan 10, 2009 IP
  11. SugarUK

SugarUK Banned

Best Answers:
    people search with mispellings and grammers errors so it wont hurt your site lol

SugarUK, Jan 10, 2009 IP
  12. Ventage

Ventage Peon

Best Answers:
    I think most cheap writers are either using programs or using something akin to babelfish or google's language tools to rewrite the content. Copyscape won't find this if done well.
    Other than that, if they're cheap and they stay on topic but have spelling problems, pay them less, deduct for every error, which is what I do at getafreelancer and rentacoder. Cheap labor can't complain if they screw up, they want the little amount of cash they're entitled to and anywhere you work if you screw up your main job enough they deduct or fire you.

Personally, if someone is willing to work for 1.00 - 1.50 per 600+ words doing articles, I'll take it even if they misspell. I'll fix it if it's decent other than that and sell the rights and text to Associated Content, they pay 3$ per article, so you're doubling your investment there. I do spinner articles from time to time for .01 per word but that's only when I'm broke.

GL

Ventage

Ventage, Jan 10, 2009 IP
  13. alexa_s

alexa_s Peon

Best Answers:
    I've seen a content-writer in another forum with the words "reassuringly expensive" in his signature-file, which I've always rather liked! :D

alexa_s, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  14. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    That is fantastic :)

Y.L. Prinzel, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  15. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As long as there are "cheap webmasters" who look for low price over everything else, there will be "cheap writers".

lightless, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  16. EspressoChick

EspressoChick Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I agree with what everyone has said about "cheap" writers - especially the ability to market yourself. But I'm just wondering in this current economy - don't we ALL feel the "pinch" to budget shop for things we need? Whether it is a new car, shampoo or hiring someone...the idea of saving some cash is very appealing right now.

I got an email last night from a writer's newsletter I subscribed to that mentioned "we've had the SAME prices for 4 years" and I think that type of marketing is very effective. Pointing out that you are not raising your prices and things like that. So not necessarily calling yourself "cheap" - but pointing out that you are cost-effective and competitive in price. :)

EspressoChick, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  17. iWrite

iWrite Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, good and cheap definitely don't go together.

iWrite, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  18. loudbeats

loudbeats Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't you think "Competition" on these forums have led to low asking price on these type of services?

I see a flood of article/content writers on most of the forums I frequent, which has helped me come to a conclusion that every writer wants some business and wouldn't mind offering the lowest price possible for whatever content work.

prove me wrong, can ya?

loudbeats, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  19. alexa_s

alexa_s Peon

Best Answers:
    I can try: I'm not interested in competing on price. I just won't work for less than my hourly rate because that's what my time's worth to me. :p

alexa_s, Jan 11, 2009 IP
    loudbeats likes this.
  20. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not interested in offering the lowest price possible for whatever content work.

Y.L. Prinzel, Jan 11, 2009 IP
    loudbeats likes this.