1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A question related to meta keywords usage

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by tayiper, Jun 18, 2006.

Let's say that I want to have somewhere between 20 and 30 keywords (separate words) in my meta keywords tag. Therefore I am curious, what is a "general rule" (if there's any), or better yet, what exactly do you recommend me to do:

- to not to use many words, and those in variations, like: optimize, optimized, optimizing, optimization, manage, managing, management, hint, hints, principle, principles, webpage, webpages, website, websites, page, pages, site, sites (and possibly also web page, web site etc.)

- or to use many different words, but only in one particular variation, like: optimization, management, hint, principle, page, site etc. (and possibly also plural, for instance hints, principles etc.)

P.S. -- But please, don't try to persuade me to not to use them or explain that they don't matter for search engines, since I already know all that !!

tayiper

tayiper, Jun 18, 2006 IP
  2. ewan

ewan Peon

Best Answers:
    What I usually do is pick keywords that are in my content. Or pick a small sample of keywords related to the content I wrote about in the content.

You already know that keywords don't matter much, so don't waste too much time on them.

I usually use about 10-15 keywords, if I really had the time I'd put about 30, however I rarely do this as I don't care about the Keywords Meta Tag.

ewan, Jun 18, 2006 IP
  3. ebusiness4all

ebusiness4all Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on which search engine you are targeting, Google say they ignore them.

I tend to limit the number to under 20 and ensure that the keywords are early in the page text.

ebusiness4all, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  4. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    I recommend that you use no more than 3 keywords in the meta tag. Think about this, it is very difficult to optimize any page for more than 3 keywords. This is what I would do. Let's say one of your pages focuses on "real estate" then you would place in the meta tag something like this "real estate, real estate agent, real estate listings" this is alot more affective.

The best thing to do is to set different pages for each keyword that you want to target. By doing this it allows you to be able place more relevant information for that page. This way you can slide the keyword in your title tag, your keyword tag, as well as your description tag. If you do it this way your chances of ranking for a certain keyword will be alot easier. It may still take time though.

That is how I would do it.

Get your site listed for free at www.index-it.net

banless, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  5. CrankyDave

CrankyDave Peon

Best Answers:
    Your keywords tag can play an important role if you decide to develope on-site search. They should be specific enough that a visitor would find the page they would find the most useful.

Dave

CrankyDave, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  6. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    imo use less than 10 keywords in meta tags.
    Though it has now very very less value (indeed no value for seo). :)

Mong, Jun 23, 2006 IP
  7. WebFreedom

WebFreedom Peon

Best Answers:
    This is what I would advise, as well. You may not incur any spam penalties for using more, but you'll also dilute the "ranking power" of each keyword as you increase the number. I try to limit the number of keywords I target for each page to three (sometimes less), and I've had good results using this strategy. :)

HTH,
    Sam

WebFreedom, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  8. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well thanks all, but nobody answered my only original question: what's better, to not to use many words (and those in variations) or to use many different words (but only in one particular variation)

tayiper

tayiper, Jul 2, 2006 IP
  9. WebFreedom

WebFreedom Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd advise that you optimize for no more than three "base" keywords, and include them and their variations in your meta tags. So my answer would be "to not to use many words (and those in variations)". :)

HTH,
    Sam

WebFreedom, Jul 2, 2006 IP
  10. inferno3387

inferno3387 Banned

Best Answers:
    Just make sure you dont spam the keywords!

inferno3387, Jul 2, 2006 IP