1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Time required to complete an article (300 words)?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by celestial, Dec 25, 2008.

Hello
    I am a writer and take about an hour and a half to complete an article of 300 words. I was wondering, if that's too much??

As a content writer, how much time would you require to complete a 300 word well-researched article. Assuming that the research material is easily available on the net or is provided by the Client.

Thanks

celestial, Dec 25, 2008 IP
  2. mfashraf

mfashraf Active Member

Best Answers:
    I take around an hour to finish a 500 words article (if i really know about the subject) but if there's a mind block or lack of resources i can take up to 2 hrs. lol

Depends on how much you know about the subject and the availability of the resources as well IMHO

mfashraf, Dec 25, 2008 IP
  3. yuro11

yuro11 Peon

Best Answers:
    10 minute for crap article, 1 hour for nice article. (300 word article)

yuro11, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  4. liquidice4

liquidice4 Active Member

Best Answers:
    For me it takes 20 - 90 minutes to write one article.
    Crappy articles sometimes can take 15 minutes or less.

liquidice4, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  5. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't believe you admit churning out crap. :)

Anyhoo, celestial, the time it takes to complete an article depends on the writer. Some of the factors that affect this include the availability of resource materials and the complexity of the topic at hand.

cd928, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  6. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It really depends. I've finished a 700+ word article in about half an hour, then another time I finished a 300 word article in around an hour. It really depends so much on the niche, for instance, if I already know all my key points and don't need to research much, it's going to be finished much quicker than an article on a niche I know nothing about.

kiteguy123, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  7. fabsolution24

fabsolution24 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that the time depends also on the topic of the required article, not only of your ability to write one or the provided material. I personaly write 300 word article for aproximately an hour.

fabsolution24, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  8. OhMamaMia

OhMamaMia Peon

Best Answers:
    It all depends, a topic that I have a lot of knowledge about usually goes faster. Plus the amount of SEO you input in an article can take time. Always review the written article and find ways to make it more SEO friendly.

OhMamaMia, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  9. Grit.

Grit. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For me the time varies on the planning required... if i need to plan (for high quality) then it usually takes up to 2 hours...

Grit., Dec 26, 2008 IP
  10. cupkidz

cupkidz Banned

Best Answers:
    1 hour for 1000 words article bit me :)

cupkidz, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  11. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    An hour and a half sounds like a decent amount of time to write a 300-word when the research is readily available. I'd probably use up anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours based on what you said. Of course, if more extensive research was required, e.g. library visits, interviews, it could take longer. If I know the topic and don't need to research it, I could write something in 30 minutes or less.

latoya, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  12. warezuser

warezuser Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends i think. If you need to include lots of keywords i think it might take some time. If it's just needed to fill the page or no deep research is required i might write 300 words in 30 minutes, maximum 1 hour.

Also you will notice that when you write a few of those texts daily you will be more experienced and write a lot faster.

warezuser, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  13. DeterminedMindz

DeterminedMindz Peon

Best Answers:
    I can take anywhere from 25 minutes to one hour to write a 300 word article, depending upon what I know about the subject and how much research is required for that particular topic.

DeterminedMindz, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  14. WriteGirl

WriteGirl Peon

Best Answers:
    If it's a subject I deal with every day and am an "expert" on, I can do 300 words in about 15 minutes. But if it's for a client and requires research into a product or something, then it can take up to an hour.

WriteGirl, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  15. tajo

tajo Peon

Best Answers:
    300 words isn't very much to look at, yet can pack in a fair number of points if properly researched and written succinctly.

I usually find that it takes me a few minutes to jot down my frame, but then anything upto 2-3 hours to fully flesh out the article, proofread it, and then tidy it up.

tajo, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  16. srip

srip Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It would take 3 hours to write an article for me because my english is very poor.

srip, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  17. Geminiamp

Geminiamp Peon

Best Answers:
    It definitely depends on the topic. I think that it obviously helps to know about the topic but also if you enjoy writing for it. I had a client where I had to write 8 poker news articles a day, including 2 links and keywords and he wanted them to be between 400 - 500 words. Now of course I had to do research online, make phone calls, etc. But after I was done gathering my material it only took me about 3 hours to write all 8.

But at the same time I had another client that only wanted 5 400 - 500 word articles with only keywords in them a day on different subjects that were all gambling related but I'm not as interested in snooker, etc so these would take about 2 hours to write after my research was done.

Anyway the time it takes you to write an article is going to depend on how well you know your topic, is it interesting, are there distractions or if your just having a hard time focusing.

But I think the time frame was okay, my only advice is that if you work from home don't let your "work day" become the entire day.

Geminiamp, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  18. gskesavan

gskesavan Peon

Best Answers:
    depends on my mood... if i'm in a content writing frenzy, then half hour per 500 word article, else more than 2 hours for even 300 words article..

btw, you'll improve with time so be patient and take your own time but make sure you provide good content.

gskesavan, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  19. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on what I had for dinner the night before...:)

Seriously, for me it takes about 40-45 minutes, and the topics
    I write on are informative and teach a few things that I am hoping
    my readers did not know before.

The topic itself is important, because I have to like it and be interested in it
    first. I enjoy learning, and getting paid to learn on topics I am
    already interested in is cool. :cool:

Blue Star Ent., Dec 27, 2008 IP
  20. bluefox21

bluefox21 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pretty much depends on the topic. I know a lot about sports in general, so i can have an excellent quality article about sports in 30 minutes. In topics that i'm not that familiar with, yes, i can take an hour, and hour and a half, or even more. It's important that you are the 1st judge of your article, and be very demanding with yourself. Don't worry about how much time you take to write (unless you have a deadline set to finish), worry about the quality and eventually you will take less and less time.

bluefox21, Dec 27, 2008 IP