1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Share your forum success stories

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by theCulturePhile, Dec 21, 2008.

Trying to start some forums... It is tough! I'd love to hear about some forum, start from scratch, success stories.

I think forums are awesome and enjoy learning about how people got theirs going.

Share away.

-pk

theCulturePhile, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  2. theCulturePhile

theCulturePhile Peon

Best Answers:
    Also... share links too.

-pk

3. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I don't have any forum success stories but I'd say - starting from scratch and having friends will help you build up your forum from scratch. I'd say you start off with like 5 - 20 friends and you'll forum will grow from word of mouth.

ForgottenCreature, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  4. jhsutton

jhsutton Peon

Best Answers:
    I have recently started a forum too, so no success stories yet ;)

jhsutton, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  5. plot

plot Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like creating forum about different niche and trying to let them grow. Out of all the forums only one seems to be doing well. The forum was created 1.5 yrs ago and now have close to 30K members with anywhere between 200-300 members online.

plot, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  6. conorod

conorod Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have recently started a webmaster forum, but I don't have a success story yet.

conorod, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  7. phaseman

phaseman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure if you would call it a success 6 months and just over 7200 post with 200 members from scratch, I had no friends aiding with my forum. All I can say it takes a lot of work and time, I watched a dozen or more forums in the same niche, basically looking for anything in my industry. now I have steady group of guys posting regularly slowly it's building. I'm a total noob at this, this is my first site/forum 6 months ago I only used the net for emails. Forum in my sig

phaseman, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  8. theCulturePhile

theCulturePhile Peon

Best Answers:
    congrats.. looks good. good niche too - i am actually very interested in diving into related topics. any advice ud pass along? how do u like phpBB...i am looking to convert my vanilla forum to that software.

-pk

9. phaseman

phaseman Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like using phpBB mind you I have never used any other, but for a noob I found quite easy to use, installing mods was easy too, once I did one the rest came easy. I picked a template close to what my site looked like then started changing from there. I changed my look at least three times finally being happy with currant look, I did ask for site review from there I got a lot of good tips.

I studied my niche. looked for something that was slightly different and went after that, if you search my niche you'll find there are millions on the net but there was two things common, either it was American influenced or British. I'm an expat in China and been living in Asia for nearly ten years so I decided to go for expat bodybuilders living in Asia but still keep the relevant news from the US and England, nearly all of my members are expats.

I added a lot of bbcodes which gave the members options to enhance their post, i'm constantly looking for new things that my members might enjoy using.

Answer every post as quick as you can, most people that post want an answer quickly just like we do.

phaseman, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  10. silent_thunder

silent_thunder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

you have amde a great choice, many people choose other forum softwares because they are lazy. Looks like you are not, even I started a forum just one month back no firends helping and no money but no worries I am prepared to work hard and get some soon.

all the best everyone

silent_thunder, Dec 21, 2008 IP
  11. swastik2020

swastik2020 Peon

Best Answers:
    I started a forum in late September this year, had 10,000 posts & 400 members in 2 months. The forum was a webmasters forum.

All I can say is "Smart work pays off".

swastik2020, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  12. fattony69

fattony69 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I started a forum in June. The 15th I opened up. First day or day and half, I had 100 members. Now, a little more than 6 months, these are my stats: Threads: 6,081, Posts: 92,200, Members: 906, Active Members: 215

fattony69, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  13. theCulturePhile

theCulturePhile Peon

Best Answers:
    congrats to you guys - fattony - howd you do it?

to those of you who have seen success... what would you consider 'smart' work?

-pk

theCulturePhile, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  14. silent_thunder

silent_thunder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yeah Swastik I know about your forum..It rocks btw..

silent_thunder, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  15. UnknownOne

UnknownOne Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm doing my 2nd forums at the moment. The first I didn't do much but managed to get a fair price and this one I'm working hard on.

UnknownOne, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  16. asholar

asholar Peon

Best Answers:
    started a forum 3 weeks ago, going to achieve success.

asholar, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  17. MontyFromSingleMinds

MontyFromSingleMinds Peon

Best Answers:
    I started SingleMinds.ca up in September, and we are now at 307 members.

I started over at freeforums.org, and now we've moved over to shared paid hosting at Lunarpages.

We center ourselves on good debate, particularly in the areas of politics and religion - you know, the tough ones. :p

We've got some exceptionally talented people there, and are always on the look out for more - especially from those outside of North America.

I think one has too, above all, like people. You have to like writing, and posting. You have to also be quite focused and dedicated, to a high degree. You also have to do a lot of research, and sign up on sites like this one.

Personally, in regards to software, I made my choice with PhpBB, and I think it offers the greatest overall ability for flexibility - and it's free. It's got a good support community, and there are many people working on it constantly.

MontyFromSingleMinds, Jan 27, 2009 IP