1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why is Yahoo number one in Alexa?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Whitley Journalism, Oct 15, 2008.

1. icpathi

icpathi Peon

Best Answers:
    That can't be the reason buddy. Local Yahoo site of China ranks 4 in China and Google.com ranks 7th but yahoo.com ranks just 8th. Behind both the Google sites.

icpathi, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  2. chamiljayaweera@yahoo.com

chamiljayaweera@yahoo.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes. Most of Yahoo traffic comes from their free mail service. Although new better free email services available now, people do not want to change their Email address.

3. icpathi

icpathi Peon

Best Answers:
    Buddy: Please do some research before posting. Just read this topic once again. There is none without knowing all what you say. Even internet kids know them. See Indian Local search engine site google.co.in ranks 14th. Local China Google search engine site ranks 29th. And list

Google.co.in - Indian local Google search ranks 14th
    Google.fr - French local Google search ranks 19th
    Google.co.uk - UK local Google search ranks 22nd
    Google.cn - China local Google search ranks 25th
    Google.com.br - Brasil local Google search ranks 26th
    Google.it - Italian local Google search ranks 29th
    Google.es - Ranks 33rd.
    Google.co.jp - Ranks 35th
    Google.com.mx - Mexican local Google search ranks 45th
    Google.ca - Canadian local Google search ranks 58th
    Google.cpm.tr - Turkey local Google search ranks 70th
    Google.co.id - Ranks 81st
    Google.pl - Polska local Google search ranks 83rd
    Google.au - Australian local Google search ranks 88th
    Google.ru ranks 92nd

Note fifteen sites among the top alexa sites belongs to the different domains of Google. It doesn't stop here. There are lot more local domains of Google that ranks very high with first 500.

Other Google local search site ranks: Only ranks. Tired of typing the country name: 103, 112, 113, 140, 146, 173, 185, 186, 194, 213, 215, 223, 233, 235, 240, 242, 244, 253, 314, 324, 345, 367, 371, 390, 403, 424, 428, 441, 478, 497,
    Still confused what we people say that Google traffic is spread over all the domain and that is the reason for not having top ranking.

Youtube, Orkut and all other sister concerns of Google will add more traffic and that is what we discuss. I know all the info I posted in this thread. But just to let you know, I did a research once again. Now its your turn to do research.

huf.. tired of doing this research. Anyone wants to add rep?? :D

icpathi, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  4. BlueIce08

BlueIce08 Member

Best Answers:
    As already stated the reason is in most countries Yahoo is used more thn Google, mainly because it has many more services that people in general find useful.

BlueIce08, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  5. SeoVeteran33

SeoVeteran33 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Well, first off, I always do research before answering a question such as this one. This should have been obvious since I put hard evidence to contradict what you and a few others have been saying.

That's great that you finally did some research. Once again, you are not entirely accurate, though part of what you say is very well put together. I will again provide examples to contradict you.

For starters, you need to stop saying that YouTube should count towards Google.coms alexa rank. This is so ridiculous and saying it makes me wonder if you understand what alexa rank is really about. Should all my sites alexa ranks be added together and counted toward one single alexa??? NO!!

Second, you again forgot to mention that Yahoo! has counterparts to many of the Google domains you listed.

Proof:
    Google.co.in = in.Yahoo.com
    Google.fr = fr.Yahoo.com
    Google.co.uk = uk.Yahoo.com
    Google.cn = Yahoo.cn
    Google.com.br = br.Yahoo.com
    Google.it = it.Yahoo.com
    Google.es = es.Yahoo.com
    Google.co.jp = Yahoo.co.jp
    Google.com.mx = mx.Yahoo.com
    Google.ca = ca.Yahoo.com
    Google.cpm.tr = Yahoo.tr
    Google.co.id = Yahoo.co.id
    Google.pl = Yahoo.pl
    Google.au = au.Yahoo.com
    Google.ru = Yahoo.ru

Next, of the country sites that are considered subdomains within Yahoo, their total traffic accounts for less than 1% of Yahoo's overall traffic.

mail.yahoo.com = 46%
    search.yahoo.com = 14%
    360.yahoo.com = 4%
    yahoo.com = 3%
    login.yahoo.com = 3%
    news.yahoo.com = 3%
    answers.yahoo.com = 2%
    wrs.yahoo.com = 2%
    bid.yahoo.com = 2%
    sports.yahoo.com = 1%
    auctions.yahoo.com = 1%
    finance.yahoo.com = 1%
    groups.yahoo.com = 1%
    chat.yahoo.com = 1%
    knowledge.yahoo.com = 1%
    myblog.yahoo.com = 1%
    games.yahoo.com = 1%
    movies.yahoo.com = 1%
    fantasysports.yahoo.com = 1%
    All Other = 11%

In fact, combined, every other page and subdomain NOT listed above only account for 11% of Yahoo's traffic. Given that there are 1000's of subdomains that have nothing to do with country sites I wonder how much of Yahoo.com's traffic is really coming from the several country sites that are subdomains.

SeoVeteran33, Dec 15, 2008 IP
  6. SonnyCooL

SonnyCooL Peon

Best Answers:
    Hahahaha i see a lot argue here ...
    why don't try to ask a none IT related, normal web user, normal computer user, about what domain you think is the best ? What domain come across their mind when they think about internet ? the answer is Yahoo ....
    or ask them what is computer ? or computer related product, i'm sure they will answer you, windows, microsoft, yahoo, intel ........

you think google is so stupid to spend billion dollar to take over youtube ? youtube really worth billion dollar when google purchase ? The same news/tactic like Bill Gates did (google just trying to create extra attention to close to yahoo in term of intellectual ), ask your old man, who is Number 1 richer man or what is Microsoft ......

Intellectual Property is the key why Yahoo win and the most important keyword in the net ....

SonnyCooL, Dec 15, 2008 IP
  7. Dr Googler

Dr Googler Banned

Best Answers:
    youtube.com huge traffic, blogger, blogspot huge traffic but not google.com domain

Dr Googler, Dec 15, 2008 IP
  8. Optiplex Line

Optiplex Line Peon

Best Answers:
    because yahoo has more activities and stuff, like yahoo answers, yahoo OMG, etc..

Optiplex Line, Dec 15, 2008 IP
  9. shelley3122

shelley3122 Peon

Best Answers:
    That's right! In Japan, Yahoo is number one, and seldom people use the Google. And in china Baidu takes up 70% market share, and the Google is less than 30%. And the Yahoo is the number one of the blog serach! So the Yahoo is very important in SEO:eek:

shelley3122, Dec 15, 2008 IP
  10. mdamin76

mdamin76 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Because, Yahoo is older than Google.

mdamin76, Dec 15, 2008 IP
  11. icpathi

icpathi Peon

Best Answers:
    You are very correct with this. This point really made me think that, calculating youtube, blogspot traffic with Google is foolish.
    List of ranks of all the Yahoo separate domains you listed are as follows:
    Yahoo.cn - Ranks 1779
    Yahoo.co.jp - Ranks 10
    Yahoo.tr - Ranks 5,727,896
    Yahoo.co.id - Ranks 126,976
    Yahoo.pl - ranks 972,156

Another separate domain that I know with yahoo is Yahoo.com.cn which ranks 300. So, there are JUST two domains with Yahoo in the first five hundred itself. And only 1 domain ranks in four digit. All other domains are more than 6 digits. My site itself is soon going into 5 digits.

You are coming my way now. All traffic goes to the main domain and other sub domains you listed. But consider Google. They have 45 domains that are in the first 500 sites list. What would have happened if Google had all those 45 domains as their sub-domain? Google would be in first position. Any doubt?

Hope our discussion keeps the thread healthy. ;)

icpathi, Dec 16, 2008 IP
  12. jdR!pper

jdR!pper Peon

Best Answers:
    Simple questions have simple answers... :)

Because more internet users that have the Alexa toolbar uses Yahoo over Google. Which doesn't mean that there are more Yahoo than Google users of course.

--Joe

jdR!pper, Dec 16, 2008 IP
  13. icpathi

icpathi Peon

Best Answers:
    Ask the same non-IT, normal webuser that what is "Alexa". They will blink. Do you think they would have installed alexa toolbar in their system when they actually know nothing about Alexa itself. I myself found alexa only after creating 2 websites :D So, alexa is all about people with some knowledge of internet, not about laymen.

To create extra attention, does it cost 1.6 billion USD?? They would given better TV ads and newspaper ads and so on to cover those extra attention :D Youtube is really worth its money. Google has a huger server and able to cope up with the bandwidth and that's why they bought Youtube. Youtube is really an asset if one is able to cope up with the bandwidth eaten by youtube and Google can sustain it.

icpathi, Dec 16, 2008 IP
  14. Dj.MushtaQ

Dj.MushtaQ Peon

Best Answers:
    Google + Youtube + Orkut = Fuck yahoo.

Dj.MushtaQ, Dec 16, 2008 IP
  15. SeoVeteran33

SeoVeteran33 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am enjoying this discussion as well thank you.

I'm happy you see my point on youtube traffic, etc..

I see your point as well about Google. If Google were to add traffic from all their country domains, and Yahoo was to do the same (remember, not all their countries are being counted) then yes Google would be #1.

However, you can also look at it from reverse. What if we took the extra country traffic away from Yahoo.com's subdomains? I'm talking about uk.yahoo.com, in.yahoo.com, etc.. Remember that these domains make up less than 1% of yahoo's traffic.

Would Yahoo.com still be #1 or would it drop below Google.com?

I guess it depends on how you look at it.

1.) If we add all of google's country domains (google.co.uk, etc.) then Google is almost certainly #1.

2.) If instead we separate ALL countries and take away the country sub-domains from Yahoo (uk.yahoo.com, etc.) then does Yahoo stay at #1 or does it fall to #2?

SeoVeteran33, Dec 16, 2008 IP
  16. Sharpwebhosting

Sharpwebhosting Member

Best Answers:
    yahoo email and yahoo finance.

Sharpwebhosting, Dec 16, 2008 IP
  17. icpathi

icpathi Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, that is correct that even if Yahoo's subdomains are separated from the main domain, it will still be in No.1. And that means that All regional subdomains like uk.yahoo.com are something else are not much used in UK. But Google.co.uk which is ranking 24th should be having much traffic than uk.yahoo.com.

Even in such manner Google still won the race. :D But officially Yahoo is on top.

icpathi, Dec 16, 2008 IP
  18. icpathi

icpathi Peon

Best Answers:
    dgalssman26 is trying hard to explain about this only. Please read the topic fully and post.

icpathi, Dec 16, 2008 IP
  19. tomka

tomka Peon

Best Answers:
    Becouse many people like

tomka, Jan 28, 2009 IP
  20. N€O

N€O Member

Best Answers:
    Simply because of the fact that.. Y! is Internet's Hottest Destination..... The world's most popular website....

N€O, Jan 29, 2009 IP