1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Craigslist Auto Flagging CJ Links?

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by arizonawebdesign, Dec 8, 2008.

I have tried redirs, meta refreshes, javascript redirs, referrer changes, lots of other methods to make it a direct click through when i post on cl but no matter what my ads never go live they are always flagged. I have lots of experience posting on cl, so I know what I am doing here, all my other ads stick just never any that are linked to my cj links.

Anyone have any success with this?

arizonawebdesign, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  2. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith Guest

Best Answers:
    No experience with using redirects though I do plan to in the very near future.

You say you have experience with CL so I'm sure I don't have to ask you how your ads look.

So basically your ads that do not use a redirect stay, but the ones with a redirect get immediately flagged? I am curious as well because I don't want this happening to me.

Kevin Smith, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  3. arizonawebdesign

arizonawebdesign Active Member

Best Answers:
    You know I have never tried another non-affil link with a redirect... i wonder if CL ghosts all redirs... hmmm... interesting i will have to try that.

Anways, I have tried text ads, img ads with links but all have been forms of redirs. I know the actual link will probably not work too... But my ads that I post for other ventures without redirs do always stick.

4. tvmatt

tvmatt Peon

Best Answers:
    tvmatt, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  5. arizonawebdesign

Best Answers:
    That may be the case Matt, but I don't think CL allows redirs or affiliate links as it seems like posts are immediately ghosted that contain these.

6. ArtfulAffiliate

ArtfulAffiliate Peon

Best Answers:
    this is directly from CraigsList's TOS:

You agree not to post, email, or otherwise make available Content...

k) that constitutes or contains "affiliate marketing," "link referral code,"
    "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or unsolicited
    commercial advertisement;

l) that constitutes or contains any form of advertising or solicitation if:
    posted in areas of the craigslist sites which are not designated for such
    purposes; or emailed to craigslist users who have not indicated in writing
    that it is ok to contact them about other services, products or commercial interests.

More info can be found here:
    http://www.craigslist.org/about/terms.of.use

ArtfulAffiliate, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  7. arizonawebdesign

Best Answers:

Well that means that 75%+ of the services section is most likely in violation of "affiliate marketing" since there is a huge percentage of individuals on there that are strictly affiliates and advertise as such.

8. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith Guest

Best Answers:
    These people are right about the violations. You have to be sneaky if you want to get paid.

Your ads aren't sticking either because your IP address was flagged, the text of your ad was flagged, the website you are linking to was flagged, or the email / account you are posting with is flagged.

Or your ads look like spam and the users are flagging you immediately.

If you manage to solve your CL problem then you've still got a CJ problem in that they don't allow you to post on CL. Basically you will want to set up an actual .com or .org website with your affiliate links. The advertisers won't be likely to approve your site unless it actually has some content to it. You'll then want to link to your website through another website that you own, which is nothing more then a blank page that automatically redirects to your website. You then will link to that redirect page with Craigslist. This way CJ has no way of telling that your traffic is coming from CL, and if CL bans your redirect page you can just make another one no big deal.

Kevin Smith, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  9. Kracow

Kracow Peon

Best Answers:
    Here are some tips on using Craigslist if you must (most new people start here because it's easier)

1. You need a domain to send traffic too, putting up links straight to a CJ advertiser will get you banned / reported / loss of payments / other marketers to turn you in if you are in their market.

2. Learn how to use a blank referrer you can google it, just makes it once you get traffic from CL to Yoursite there is less of a trace of where it came from in the 1st place.

3. Learn how to either use an autoresponder with text ad's through e-mail to get people to visit your site, or how to get ad's not ghosted on CL ( I don't give out this information because 5 people using it = CL doesn't catch on, 1 million people doing it it's worthless)

4. If your going to use html ad's you need a way to randomize anything that can create a pattern.

5. Don't outsource anything beyond in-house, selling techniques is one thing, giving away your income source is another.

6. Test, test , test, you can't afford to find out later why it failed or CJ noticed.

I use to do craigslist back in the day and had it going quite well, I had moved on to better pastures because there is a plateau effect on how much money vs time invested you can make using CL.

Kracow, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  10. pamon

pamon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    spamming on CL is just low... bottom feeders

pamon, Dec 12, 2008 IP
  11. nishantbamb

nishantbamb Peon

Best Answers:
    I know a software which can help you auto flag your CL postings in order to keep it live for more time, check out http://www.clflagger.com

nishantbamb, Jun 14, 2009 IP
  12. BadBoyzStudioZ

BadBoyzStudioZ Peon

Best Answers:
    I am going to address this because the original poster if from my home state... Arizona. Arizona Rocks!

Craigslist is a local phenomenon. It's design is to allow local people the chance to have a "virtual" garage sale on the Internet. The founders have so much integrity (other then the pimping aspect they are so fond of ;) ) that they won't sell out. They have been offered many millions of dollars and have stood firm. I can respect that.

But it is a fantastically popular (if not the ugliest) site around. So it attracts the "marketers" like moths to a flame.

I do not blame anyone for wanting a piece of that action. It is natural and I do it too, so there you go. But you have to be sensible and somewhat sneaky to make it work without pissing off the multitudes of Cragslist Nazi's that believe they "own" the site because they are losers with no life and hang around Craigslist like they would at the corner on the block. Life is like that.

There are lots of do's and don't methodologies, and they are written about constantly. One thing you need to remember is that less is more. Posting affiliate links is an automatic bad thing to do. People on Craigslist are looking for cheap local goodies, not ebooks on making 30 grand in 15 minutes, or stuff they could just as well buy themselves at Walmart. You have to be sneaky.

I have my own email servers, so it is easy for me to semi-automate and collectively post multiple cities with no issue. It is a pain in the butt, but... Oh well. You will never fully automate the process unless you pay 100 bucks for CAPTCHA bypass services. That is fine if you can afford it.

You must also remember that your competition is there as well. THEY are the ones most likely flagging you! Yes, there are the Nazi's, but your main threat is your competitors! Keep that in mind always. If you are using a facility to market on the Internet, 10,000 others are doing the EXACT same thing with the EXACT same product!. Free market.

Let me sum this up for you. Don't link to a site. You will get hits, but not much else. Then you will get flagged and bye-bye. Don't say much. Less is more. Say... "Found something really interesting here about iPods" etc., and leave it at that. No link needed. Let them write you, and they will.

You can auto-respond if you are lazy (or busy) with a little more information. Let them email you again BEFORE you link them up. Why? DOUBLE OPT IN. Remember those words. If they hit you up twice, and you have a record of it, they have double opted to hear what you have to say. Then link them up. You have their REAL email address by then, you have a double opt in, and Craigslist don't have a damn thing to say about it one way or the other. Their policy is "Buyer Beware" and that means they are hands off. Once you make the connection it is between you and the potential customer.

Regarding affiliate links. My policy is to create my own pages using the material provided by the advertiser on CJ, Clickbank, etc. I personalize it and make it friendly to my audience. This gives you a uniqueness and offers you the opportunity to show that you actually believe in what you peddle. It is also good if you actually USE or OWN the product that you sell. Then you can speak from the heart.

Good luck with Craigslist.

BadBoyzStudioZ, Jun 14, 2009 IP
  13. jodyq

jodyq Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh but auto responding is now triggering flags from users....don't use them. Its not the cj ad thats getting flagged, try changing your proxy, changing ur ad, try another merchant, and get another email address that has never posted on cl before. you do have be very very careful as to what you are doing as you are treading on ice. Make sure your name here is in no way associated with any cj accounts, make sure you don't post ur affiliate links or websites here now that you have posted this as cj does come here to snoop around and you posting this is DANGEROUS, why didn't you pm someone instead of making a thread?

jodyq, Jun 15, 2009 IP
  14. sergiypro

sergiypro Peon

Best Answers:
    idk when this started but if on cl the add has a redirect link like tinyurl, craigslist automaticly bans it and craigslist also removes all scripts in the adds.

serg

sergiypro, Jun 16, 2009 IP
  15. BeirutMarketing

BeirutMarketing Member

Best Answers:
    It is better not to insert links in Craigslist that direct people to affiliate link, no matter if they were hidden or redirected or whatnot.
    While it is true that the flaggers do get annoying... if there was no flagging, CL would become useless, as users would have to sift between 20 pages of "Make $100 000 000 in 5 minutes" ads before finding a "normal" post.

It is best to manually email the link to those who reply to the ad, or to set up an autoresponder ON DELAY, as automatic responders get flagged within minutes.

BeirutMarketing, Jun 16, 2009 IP
  16. foreverhired

foreverhired Guest

Best Answers:
    They banned my account about 2 months ago. I was placing cj links for several days, made $75 and then the account was put on hold. I guess now they do not allow cj links period. Well, at least you still have your account with them.

foreverhired, Jun 18, 2009 IP
  17. jodyq

jodyq Peon

Best Answers:
    what you should do is make a cl ad that does not have a link. let them respond showing interest. next day email them.

jodyq, Jun 18, 2009 IP
  18. DigitalSales

DigitalSales Peon

Best Answers:
    Just wondering how you made out ...

What finally did work for you ???

DigitalSales, Jun 22, 2009 IP
  19. foreverhired

foreverhired Guest

Best Answers:
    Of course I can create another account if I have a second phone #. Maybe I should buy one of those cheap cell phones. I do not like to do stuff like that though (I mean, trying to beat the system).

foreverhired, Jun 28, 2009 IP
  20. itsyssolutions

itsyssolutions Member

Best Answers:
    itsyssolutions, Sep 8, 2009 IP