1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

From 16 unique visitors to average of 10,000 uniques

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by cg101, Dec 6, 2008.

Well there are no miracles if you ask me when it comes to moving your site from no visitors to many. Even now at 10,000 uniques per month, our new goal is 50,000 unique visitors every month. I figured that I'd throw my hat in with a thread because I used to think that 10k unique visitors was some holy grail and now that I'm here I realize that's just barely scratching the surface.

Either way I'll just cut to the chase with some tips that I think might help anyone looking to move their website "over the hump". The "#1" thing to do is make sure that you write, write, write. Lets face it the engines love you, the more you do this and the more you update the better.. even if you have to pay someone to write your content for you if you can't do it on your own. We didn't do that but hey it's an option.

The next thing I would do is make sure that you get some strong links going for your site. Here's my giveaway for those of you that aren't aware of it but this link was a really good place to go to find the many of the nets most valuable links http://www.strongestlinks.com/directories.php - I'm sure that link will prove to be useful to at least one person and maybe many more. For all that is and has been said about the value of a yahoo directory link.. the way I see it is if you're competitors are listed in that directory then it makes sense that you should get listed there too. If "won't" do much for traffic but you spend the money to have an "authority link" associated with your website and that means a lot.. so that's just my 2 cents on that.

We all know that links are valuable one of the most effective things that I saw was the "power of the press release". Don't under estimate this.. if you can write one or get one written for you, a pr alone with do wonders for your site and exposure.

These things have really contributed in a big way to moving my site and I thought I'd share that with you. If there's anything that you take from this, please write good content that people will find useful because we're all critics in our own right and can see through the fluff so you don't want to waste anyone's time. As they say, "content is king" and it's where our efforts should start when it comes to the sites that we develop. Hope this piece helps at least one person that reviews it.

cg101, Dec 6, 2008 IP
  2. Ramage

Ramage Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree with the Press Release thing, it's overlooked by most webmasters but so far brings me a lot more traffic than the other methods webmasters spend weeks and weeks doing.

Ramage, Dec 6, 2008 IP
  3. S11.explorer

S11.explorer Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the good tips.

S11.explorer, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  4. netgal

netgal Peon

Best Answers:
    10, 000 is a really good success! Congrats and great tips too..Thanks...

netgal, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  5. gpixel

gpixel Peon

Best Answers:
    There are many more factors to have this "success".

First of all you need to have a site about something people want or need to read. If nobody search for the info you offer you can't have so many visitors even you are 1st in search engines.

The second important factor is "time". You have to wait for your website to establish its place on search engines. If your website is new, you can't compete with oldest websites even the content from your website is more valuable.

The third factor is "money". If you don't have money to pay that directories to include your website, they are useless to you.

..and there are many more factors...

Having that kind of traffic is not only the result of "write, write, write" content.....

gpixel, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  6. Ludatha

Ludatha Peon

Best Answers:
    Congrats, and thanks for the advice, I'll be launching my site soon, so I'll try to have loads of content.

Ludatha, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  7. kmzeron

kmzeron Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great story in here cg101.
    I think that press releases can give a real power to websites.

kmzeron, Dec 8, 2008 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  8. Z33M@N

Z33M@N Peon

Best Answers:
    10 000 uniques that is a very good achievement, congrats :)

Z33M@N, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  9. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds good.... but got proof?

Your alexa rating on the hair site is over 1.2 million... so you cant be doing 10K with that site....

Sem-Advance, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  10. brainfog

brainfog Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the link to the directory list. There are some on there I wasn't familiar with. And congrats on your success! I hope you reach your 50,000.

brainfog, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  11. Hooper

Hooper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some good directories that I was not aware of ... thanks for the link.

Hooper, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  12. Strsinthesky

Strsinthesky Banned

Best Answers:
    Could you show us some proof?

Strsinthesky, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  13. cg101

cg101 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Proof: [​IMG] and http://www.flickr.com/photos/33165089@N05/3093412545/ and the last one http://www.flickr.com/photos/33165089@N05/3094255494/ and yes the alexa has dropped somewhat but we are seeing an increase once again this month and as you can see the average over several months at this point is definitely 10,000 so to those that doubt don't waste time looking at alexa being a true indicator of what traffic is possible. We were able to get to several thousands in just one year. I do agree that there are more things to be done that factor into generating thousands of visitors but no one gives away everything that they use along the journey but I think that I've mentioned some very key things that make an impact. We also have a business.com listing (do it if you can afford it), a yahoo listing along with some others that have helped. We've got several ideas that we will employ this year to increase our base of unique visitors that we continue to see from month to month. Thanks to everyone that had something positive to say about the success that we have seen so far. It was nice to see all the posts. Glad to see that people are interested in what we've been able to do so far.

cg101, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  14. cg101

cg101 Active Member

Best Answers:
    cg101, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  15. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Ummm your stats for your best month show 574 visitors for the entire month.....

A bit short of 10,000 visitors by your post.....

Alexa while not 100% accurate can help determine between a site with a 500 visitors per month... and one with 10,000 a month ...and I hate to say it, but your site is the example of one that Alexa proves has only a few hundred visitors per month....

You should stop now while you can still save face.....

:)

16. cg101

cg101 Active Member

Best Answers:
    look at the monthly totals lol... it's not my fault if you can't read the stats correctly.. you're not looking at daily totals

cg101, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  17. cg101

cg101 Active Member

Best Answers:
    cg101, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  18. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Ahh I looked at the first link.....

:eek:

19. cg101

cg101 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's cool... glad we're on the same page now... thanks for the input though, keepin the posters on their toes

cg101, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  20. mackmill

mackmill Peon

Best Answers:
    I was just thinking of doing a press release right before I read your post! Good thing I used to write them in my past corporate life!

mackmill, Dec 8, 2008 IP