1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Using Webmaster Central Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Google' started by freshdevelopment, Dec 8, 2008.

I have recently suffered with a number of my sites receiving penalties. I am not sure exactly why this is, but it has lead me to think that Google may have manually investigated all of my sites that are listed in Webmaster Central.

Do you think this is possible?

Another thing that concerns me is Google Analytics - this is another way they could link all the sites together.

Any opinions or experience with this would be much appreciated.

freshdevelopment, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  2. danger9918

danger9918 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I highly doubt it that Google investigates sites listed in their webmaster tools any different than sites that are not; Do the sites that got penalized link to each other ? because if they do they have been looked at it as excessive link exchanges or something in that criteria.

danger9918, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  3. freshdevelopment

freshdevelopment Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, the sites weren't linked together. But they received the penalty on the same day.

It is probably down to the link building I paid for which turned out to be dodgy (links on 100s of spammy blogger blogs).

I still might split up my Webmaster Central to different accounts, just to be safe..

freshdevelopment, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  4. alex_d1

alex_d1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think this is most likely the reason, and nothing to do with Google's Webmaster section.

Alex

alex_d1, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  5. coated

coated Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, it probably was the spammy links that generated the penalty, google tends to prefer automation where possible.

coated, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  6. Niche

Niche Peon

Best Answers:
    Webmaster tools or analytics has nothing to do with it
    If you buy links google tends to find you aout more often than not

Analytics is actually a pretty useful tool

Niche, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  7. Czzarre

Czzarre Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, Id be careful of those dodgy 'link services' ..they eventually turn out to hurt ya

Czzarre, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  8. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Your fears are not baseless at all, i know someone who gets sites penalized every time he puts Adsense on them. I've tested it, and the proof is quite definitive.

It would be trivial for Google to punch in a Domain, Pub-ID, Analytics ID or a Webmaster Central account and see all other sites, statistics, earnings etc associated with the webmaster. Google is the worlds leader in information gathering, sorting and retrieval and you are pretty naive to think this isn't available to them in the back end.

sweetfunny, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  9. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No it's not possible we have even seen other sites that are not in Webmaster central have been penalized..

Freewebspace, Dec 8, 2008 IP
  10. freshdevelopment

freshdevelopment Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think sweetfunny has a good point, it would be naive to think they don't use all this information they have on us.

But the lesson learned, and the golden rule, is not to take shortcuts.

Anyone have any tips for lifting this penalty? I am appearing top for my domain name only, and even for the "easy" keywords (e.g. my domain name keywords) I am listed at least position 50.

This is on all my pages and all keywords. My traffic from google has literally gone to 0.

freshdevelopment, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  11. bille

bille Peon

Best Answers:
    Get out your tin foil hats :) I've not heard that Google would penalize the "target" of a spammy link, but they do penalize the site that is the "source" of the link to a "bad neighborhood". That makes sense, as you control your site's content, but anybody could link to your site.

bille, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  12. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Well you don't hear much then, for example have a read of the Shyboy incident on Google Groups. Matt Cutts pretty much said, you have been dinged for spammy links.

One of hundreds of cases out in the wild coming from the horses mouth.

sweetfunny, Dec 9, 2008 IP