1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to transfer plugin settings from one Wordpress blog to another

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by EducationLinks, Dec 4, 2008.

Hello,

I need some help and recommendations.

I have an existing Wordpress blog with many finely-tuned plugins. I will be creating a second Wordpress blog, and I want to use the exact same plugins and plugin settings that I use in my original blog. Sure, I can just FTP the entire "Plugins" folder from my existing blog to my new blog, but that does not carry-over the settings/preferences of the plugins.

How can I import into the new blog only my plugins and their customized settings/preferences?

Thanks!

EducationLinks, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  2. mizaks

mizaks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the plugin created its own database tables, I suppose you could import the values directly into the new database.

mizaks, Dec 5, 2008 IP
  3. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    If you have simply changed the codes to your liking, just create a folder on your computer, copy the plug ins to that folder, and then drop them into the plug ifolder of the other blog.

hmansfield, Dec 5, 2008 IP
  4. navjotjsingh

navjotjsingh Peon

Best Answers:
    Rather than copying the database values from original blog to new blogs, its better you configure them again unless you are dead sure that at what places the plugin stores the settings in the table. Though for some plugins which create separate tables, just export those tables from original blog's database and import in newer blog's database. For those plugin which store options in wp_options table, either export the rows separately or configure them again at the new blog.

navjotjsingh, Dec 6, 2008 IP
  5. freesecrets

freesecrets Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is no simple and 100% working solution for your problem Just navjotjsingh stated - recreated your settings after reinstalling your plugins on new blog.

Simply copy all plugins into wp-content/plugins directory, activate them all and then re-create your settings. reason for this - each plugin behaves differently. Some Not only add settings to wp_options table but also create their own tables. They also might interface with other tables.

Save yourself a LOT of problem - reinstall, recreate.

freesecrets, Dec 6, 2008 IP
  6. EducationLinks

EducationLinks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, that's a super pain, but I guess I gotta do what I gotta do. Thanks, everyone!

EducationLinks, Dec 6, 2008 IP
  7. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    That's usually what I do, and it is a pain, but after a few times, you can knock it our pretty quickly.
    Good Luck.

hmansfield, Dec 6, 2008 IP