1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will you sign an epetition to stop google using dmoz?

Discussion in 'Google' started by skillipedia, Apr 7, 2007.

?

Will you sign an epetition to stop google using dmoz

1. Yes I will! Where is it?

41 vote(s)
    55.4%
  2. No a good idea!

18 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. I am listed and getting some of Google cheese! Leave him alone

10 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. I am a dmoz editor. What will I do?

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. thedark

thedark Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think that the huge waiting time after a link is approved or rejected makes from DMOZ one of the best directories, giving away a lot of traffic. No new or quick websites are in the directory. If they approve websites within 2 weeks, a lot of new websites which will die in the next two weeks will appear in the directory. Next, the traffic from dmoz to an website listed will be very low, and dmoz users will click on links to "quick" websites, and then they will thinks that dmoz is not the place where they can find good websites listed in categories, and then dmoz will be just like other web directory with low traffic and huge amount of links, some to good websites, other to "website unavailable, please contact webmaster", "account suspended", "bad request", cannot find server", etc

thedark, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  2. zangief

zangief Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    minstrel , I have opponents that did not made any backlinks and all the backlinks are from dmoz clones that reach pr5 , they have histories over 6 years.
    By the way I see some obsession about dmoz on you.
    Tell us about the early days of your webmaster life , may be we can find some clues. (Joking :)

zangief, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    With all due respect, I don't believe that for a minute. Show me some actual URLs and I'll show you where you're wrong.

minstrel, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  4. zangief

Best Answers:
    I pmed one of them to you , of course they have other backlinks but when I entered the business one of them was pr3 , they made no backlinks and guess what they became pr 4 on the next update , and pr 5 on the next update.My business site is listed on dmoz and I am expecting pr 5 on the next update I work hard but the backlinks from dmoz clones grow faster than me.I only speed up the process.
    We can not under estimate dmoz , that will be nonsense but we can always argue on its strength maybe they should add some voting system etc.
    I always try to add my new sites to dmoz , its free and it is strong.
    I am sorry for that.
    But for the google directory google did not update for more than a year you are right.They can give dmoz less weight but it is free so why should not we take it.

zangief, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    For the URL you sent via PM, I see:

(and I don't see DMOZ in there anywhere, by the way).

Also, because the link: query in Google is notoriously incomplete:

that one includes about.com, among others.

minstrel, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  6. zangief

Best Answers:
    http://www.excite.fr/directory/World/ a pr 2 link
    by the way there are some clones links there that are not ordinary clones but takes the data from dmoz as an autority.And when you check the links from sitemaps you'll see a hge number of links.
    Maybe we should continue this on the dmoz section and maybe we could make a dmoz test page or something that suits one of the main dmoz categories and a dmoz editor helps us for the test.
    But for the petition no I won't sign it it is the problem of google.why should not I take free backlinks.
    For english language sites the race is harder so maybe dmoz's value can be underestimated but for local sites dmoz has more strength.You can live without it but why ? That's the point.

zangief, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  7. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not yet because needs to learn good spelling first. DMOZ not DOMZ. :D

popotalk, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  8. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    Thats funnny! The wilderness seems pretty vast here on DP at times. Was lost in it myself when i started.

Lemmings - keep posting stupid questions.

Voices of Sanity - try, where you can, to set the lemmings straight, at least for those that will listen.

Lemmings - listen to those voices of sanity before you jump off that cliff.

axemedia, Apr 9, 2007 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  9. mcgee

mcgee Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't seem as important as it once did to Google. They haven't imported the DMOZ directory for my locality in 6+ months. It must not be as relevant these days. Having said that, I'm happy to be listed in DMOZ :D

mcgee, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  10. Gazzerman

Gazzerman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I find it hard to beleive that anyone gets good traffic from DMOZ, I would love to hear from you if you do, just out of curiosity? If you do I would presume its an obscure category beacuse most good key phrases have been SEO'd the hell out of!

So please tell me what the point is in having DMOZ as everyone who is defending their existance seems to be cowarding behind the fact that they either have links to their site and dont want to risk losing them or are one of the power tripping low lifes that moderate the site.

I have many websites and most of them are listed in DMOZ if I lose my PR/SEO benefits so does everyone, that puts us all back on the same playing field so I say give DMOZ the heave ho.

The only suggestion I could make is to do something better than a directory, add some userbility for christ sake!

I picture every moderator on DMOZ to be like Comic Book Guy from the simpsons and the ones that are not are making money from moderating thier own category. I have personally be offered a placement in exchange for a financial incentive. If you also have now is the time to speak out :)

So come on moderators lets here some real save DMOZ quotes that actually hold true?

Gazzerman, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  11. quirkyericia

quirkyericia Peon

Best Answers:
    i definitely would! dmoz seems so corrupt in which the admins choose whichever sites they want and seem to have a personal interest in the directories. at least with SEO, we can have some control over our website submission...

quirkyericia, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  12. skillipedia

skillipedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What a big deal! The end of the world as we know it.

skillipedia, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Well, it was a dumb idea to begin with. The fact that you can't spell didn't improve it. :)

minstrel, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  14. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd sign a petition to abolish dmoz entirely, screw dmoz.

Pixelrage, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry. You'll have to be a bit more specific.

Who exactly do you wish to screw at DMOZ?

minstrel, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I've submitted to many directories where I've had no control of my site once I submitted it.

So if you are going to count link submissions as SEO, then the your entire post applies across the board...

I've been rejected from many other directories, directories I'd assume the admins of had a personal interest in :rolleyes:

Control of your links is very limited to say the least, and according to what I've seen with SEO the more the merrier.

Qryztufre, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  17. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    you know - what's her name :D

Pixelrage, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  18. minstrel

Best Answers:
    orlady? :eek:

minstrel, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  19. bullseye

bullseye Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ needs to be fixed. Since I don't see that happening, Google ought to stop using it. It's just dumb for such a large multi-billion dollar company to keep using a directory that can't even get things posted.

bullseye, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  20. windtalker

windtalker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Did you think about the possibility that they could have been listed after they gained a high rank in google, meaning a editor could have just listed them after viewing the sites in the top ten?

windtalker, Apr 9, 2007 IP