1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Transition Away From iTrader...

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, Sep 17, 2010.

1. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A DP based escrow service will bring more headaches then anyone can imagine simply because of the complexity of the monetary transactions . The only way a escrow system could be implemented is via a external escrow system in this case DP would only transition the key-codes necessary to unlock the funds and the goods but still the goods can be counterfeit . Even if this effort is undertaken it still won't be enough since the services are impossible to quantify .

In conclusion in any way you put it a cheap , reliable escrow service will never ever exist on DP . In what regards iTrader a solution is possible but i don't believe it could be connected to an specific payment processor .

ApocalypseXL, Feb 2, 2011 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There are already escrow services out there. If people refuse to use them now, they aren't going to use a Digital Point one either.

digitalpoint, Feb 2, 2011 IP
  3. S_A_W

S_A_W Active Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree with this, if it was good enough for you to use here for all those years then there should be some legacy of it that stays around. I know a lot of people on DP that have worked up their iTrader, honestly over many years, for them to lose all that is a real slap in the face. I could see you placing a disclaimer of sorts on the legacy numbers, something to the effect that the new numbers are deemed to be more accurate. Punishing 1000's of loyal long-term users because of a small percentage of scammers is like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

S_A_W, Feb 3, 2011 IP
  4. EvanP

EvanP Banned

Best Answers:
    But the argument is, how do we know some of them "now-trusted users" didn't commit iTrader fraud to gain some ratings when they first started using the forum?

EvanP, Feb 3, 2011 IP
  5. Hecky

Hecky Like a Dungeon Dragon!

Best Answers:
    The main problem with the current system is random negative iTraders, not users who fraudulently boost the number of positive deals they have (they are pretty easy to spot, and as soon as they use their high itrader to their advantage, they'll get a negative one and that'll be the end of their reputation) . Even with this new system in place, a fake deal can still be made between the two people in the transaction that undermines it, as DP can't monitor all exchanges (or returns) of money between the two people. It does reduce the problem, though.

Hecky, Feb 3, 2011 IP
    Mightee likes this.
  6. S_A_W

S_A_W Active Member

Best Answers:
    Like much of life it is far from perfect but it was the best Shawn had for a long-time. Just because something better has come along I don't think it is fair to all the honest members that helped build this forum up over years to suffer a loss of reputation they have worked so hard to build up. I don't see why there should be a need to go back and prove anything. No system is perfect and there will always be ways to cheat.

Here are my thoughts:

The overall quality of DigitalPoint forums has plummeted over the past few years because of the massive amounts of spam. I so often go to a thread and the obvious spam is being fought well but the more subtle stuff where people respond with useless one sentence answers to pad their post count is really annoying.

Many folks like me and friends of mine that were on here since 2004/2005 and have done 100% honest business and have steadily and slowly built up a solid iTrader rating will feel betrayed and that our time committed to building our reputations here were taken for granted. My Point is that you will be mostly hurting the core members that contribute the top 10% of the quality to the forums.

I just feel there should be an attempt to archive somewhere the iTrader number and the comments. It can have a disclaimer that the new way might be better but my guess is there are thousands of members with stellar iTraders that were earned through hard-work and providing good service. To discount them because of the small percentage of cheaters would be unfair.

S_A_W, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  7. ishan

ishan Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This system is completely flawed.

1. Many users will not take payments via the forum as the forum has no fraud check system in place.
    2. Indian users cannot use PayPal anymore and I would say that Indian buyers/sellers constitute atleast 30% of DP.
    3. Other payment methods are not supported in a world where there should be choice (instead of a PayPal monopoly)
    4. Anyone is allowed to have 2 PayPal accounts, business and personal , and their friends will have accounts, so this system can be used for fake ratings.
    5. What happens if the buyer is refunded ?

ishan, Feb 6, 2011 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    1. There are fraud checks in place, but even if there were not, what fraud checks are you losing if iTrader goes away?
    2. Indian users can use PayPal just fine, they just have changes to there account terms recently.
    3. Users can use other payment methods. They can even use cash if they want (those transactions just wouldn't qualify for rating).
    4. True, but we can see the value of the transaction as well as the underlying true owner of the account. If the system sees you doing nothing but $1 transactions, it will put a low value on your transactions. If you do high value, then the user is going to be paying a lot in PayPal fees.
    5. We know instantly. :)

digitalpoint, Feb 6, 2011 IP
  9. ishan

ishan Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1. iTrader allowed the buyer to buy from our websites and still exchange iTraders. No service provider will use Instant Pay facility as a replacement to their website, thus no service provider will have Any rating.
    2. Ok.
    3. So, if PayPal is used for 50% of the transactions, the rating/transactions are just a part of the member's sales. This will vary from seller to seller and devalue some sellers just because they have more transactions via other methods.
    4. Sounds good
    5. Sounds good

In my opinion, Post count and join date is the best way to rate any member. If I had my way, I would keep iTrader just because people have iTraders since years, or remove both systems and let the buyer decide.

ishan, Feb 6, 2011 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    1. Which is fine... if they want to sell something on their site, they can. It's no different now. People aren't allowed to sell something here that they are selling somewhere else anyway as it is. Why would anyone get a rating on this site for something they didn't even sell here? Does eBay give you ratings for stuff you didn't sell on eBay? lol

3. Yep, if someone chooses to not use a supported payment method, obviously we can't give them a rating. Some countries can't even use PayPal even if they wanted to because PayPal doesn't allow accounts in those countries. I think you are forgetting this is a US website and the stuff we do is based on that. If people in other countries want to use the site, that's fine and their decision... but it's still a US site (like we are never going to offer a version of the site in other languages or transactions in anything other than US Dollars). If PayPal is used by 99.99% of the users in the US, that is the payment processor we will use. If someone wants to do business with an Indian payment processor and do transactions in rupees, they should probably be on a site that is based in India I would think. :)

digitalpoint, Feb 6, 2011 IP
  11. BusinessCoach

BusinessCoach Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    only people who haven't been here long feel that way ;)

BusinessCoach, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  12. BusinessCoach

BusinessCoach Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes, and the same argument is, How do we know you wont conspire to commit fraud on the new system to become a "now trusted user" since you are first starting to use the forum????

BusinessCoach, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  13. oninuva

oninuva Peon

Best Answers:
    I've personally been here since '06 and while I enjoyed the iTrader system and personally never experienced any negative experiences with iTrader, the new system sounds good. All of my transactions have been made via paypal so I won't have any problems not getting a rating but would the rating be updated once the transaction takes place or would the opposite party have to update it themselves? Currently with iTrader, a lot of people don't bother to update it after a transaction which is a problem.

oninuva, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  14. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    any chance the old number of itraders will be displayed somehow in the new system? because if you are active on here for some time you collected itraders that show you are trustworthy but with the new system and dp only displaying the old number of itraders for some month there is a high chance of loosing trust when not making the same amount of deals in this period

hope my point became clear^

Sensei.Design, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  15. Rivmedia

Rivmedia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ive taken screen shots of my current itrader scores and posted them on my visitor messages with dates clearly showing on the image and the date of posting the image clearly before the new system is in place , I know images can be altered but thats something that the buyer seller will have to decide whether its genuine or not. Personally i wont be using the new system and already have bad marks against my name on the new system because i prefer to pay direct from my paypal account rather than going through DP's transaction system. Im not complaining in anyway about the new system because that is my choice , im just pointing out a way which may prove to be useful.

Rivmedia, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  16. super

super Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes leave old itrader ratings aswell (not temporary, but permanent). It would be just one more source of information about the seller. Even with all the fake itrader you can get some idea about the seller looking at his itrader and who left it etc etc.
    Plus user with 100 itraders and 0 new traders should be awarded against user with 0 itraders and 0 new traders. Meaning if you see someone with 0 new traders you still can see that he has 100 old itraders and have some idea about the seller.
    Permanently removing itrader is not fair to old members who established solid itraders and did honest business here..

super, Feb 16, 2011 IP
  17. dragons5

dragons5 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    this may have been covered as i just skimmed this thread.

but what about when someone does repeated work? i.e. i order an article and continue to use the writer later down the road? other than this small quandry I am happy with the coming changes.

dragons5, Feb 21, 2011 IP
  18. Peter76

Peter76 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like the Itrader but it should go. I say it should because people have no way of getting the unjustified negative Itrade deleted by the mods or admin. I think this new method that Shawn is implementing should work well.

Peter76, Feb 23, 2011 IP
  19. lead2play

lead2play Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i also have paypal
    paypal is good
    but not so nice for indian paypal users
    because of their rules, its not good for indian freelancers

lead2play, Feb 23, 2011 IP
  20. bluemouse2

bluemouse2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Please leave the itrader score at least as a reference. It took us years to build a good reputation, it's important for people to see they are dealing with honest members. Else there will be no difference between an old user account and a new one. Thank you.

bluemouse2, Mar 3, 2011 IP