The Art of Posting on Craigslist

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by LivingEasySoftware, Feb 9, 2008.

I see alot of topics on here about how to post on Craigslist and make your ads actually clear. In an attempt to put these discussions to rest for a bit, I've written this article:

Are you a regular poster on Craigslist? If so you may have noticed the newest phenomenon on Craigslist known as "Ghosting". Ghosting is when you go through the entire process of posting your ad, they appear to go live, there's no indication from Craigslist that there is a problem, but yet your ads never go live!

Craigslist, according to Alexa.com, is the 10th most frequently visited website in the United States. So it's pretty obvious why Internet Marketers want to take full advantage of Craigslist's traffic. However, many marketers are having a really tough time making their ads go live. In fact, many marketers have just given up with posting on Craigslist all together because it has become so frustrating.

Craigslist is trying their best to avoid marketers spamming their website, and with due reason. It was becoming overrun with an abundance of inappropriate ads. However, in implementing their spam filter they also have inadvertently blocked some users from using tools to make legitimate postings!

In order to help out Internet Marketers understand why this is happening, Living Easy Software has released these tips to help you keep your ads from being ghosted.

1. Avoid using URL's in the ad. If you post the same URL in multiple ads, Craigslist will identify it as spam and ghost your ads. Alternatively you can use an embed text in hidden string functionality, such as that built-in to Ad Master. This technique requires that the user types in the website address manually, but helps ensure that each URL string is 100% unique.
    2. Ad Copy lacking keywords. If you're posting in the job section, make sure you're posting a job description. If Craigslist doesn't see a job description, they are much more likely to ghost your ad. If your job description is hosted on another site, and you just want visitors to go their to see it, it's recommended that you still embed a job description, and just use HTML tags to hide the description in your ad. This can easily be done by just using the built-in tags with Ad Master.
    3. IP Address. An IP address is your unique identifier on the web. If Craigslist sees that your IP address is posting too many ads, they will ghost all of your ads (including past ads that were already live!). To avoid this from happening you need to post no more then 4-5 IP addresses per an ad. This can easily be achieved by using the built-in dialer that supports a wide variety of internet connection types built-in to Ad Master.
    4. Email or Account. If you're posting a large number of ads from the same e-mail address or Craigslist Account, you will end up getting yourself ghosted. You will need to create a number of e-mail addresses and/or Craigslist accounts, and cycle through them as you're posting. A task easily achieved with any formidable posting software.
    5. Ad Title and Body. There are keywords that Craigslist keys off of to make sure that your ad is unique, and appropriate. For example posting a title of: "Post like a king on Craigslist" will get ghosted, however a title like "Promote your Business" will not. The key here is testing, and rotating your titles to keep them unique. Lots of marketers will use an automatic string appending technique, whereby the software ads a random string to each headline, to make them unique. It's also key to rotate the contents of the ad body as well.

How do I know if my ad is ghosted? There's two easy ways to tell rather or not your ad is ghosted. One is to view your ad's source code, and look for an Craigslist's image table (""). If you don't see this tag, your ad is ghosted. Another way is to browse Craigslist for your ad.

As you can see from above, the easiest way to keep your ad from becoming ghosted is to keep your ads unique, and avoid words that will block your ads! If you're still having problems, you really need to think outside the box. You need a professional who focuses on this area and knows the ins and outs of the technology, and you need the best posting tool you can get your hands on.

Chances are, if you've thought of it, so has Craigslist. If you decide to purchase a posting tool you should focus on one that has frequent updates, is easy to use, and is agile. Basically a tool that adapts to Craigslist, because certainly Craigslist isn't going to go out of their way to adapt to your posting technique.

Living Easy Software, LLC. is the create of Ad Master, the most powerful and robust Craigslist posting tool on the market. You can learn more about their products by visiting http://www.livingeasysoftware.com

LivingEasySoftware, Feb 9, 2008 IP
    ecksit likes this.
  2. Darkmoor

Darkmoor Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Craiglist Genius software tool and I'm getting tons of traffic

Darkmoor, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  3. JiffyCreator

JiffyCreator Banned

Best Answers:
    i use adsoncraigs - check my sig

JiffyCreator, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  4. Nyceane

Nyceane Member

Best Answers:
    I m not using any softwares i m still getting tons of traffic -_-

Nyceane, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  5. zeekstern

zeekstern Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks very much LivingEasy.. Appreciate the tips!!

zeekstern, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  6. ecksit

ecksit Peon

Best Answers:
    Very helpful man, thanks a ton! rep

ecksit, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  7. Darkness

Darkness Peon

Best Answers:
    Everyone thinks their CL scripts are sooo great .... :mad:

Darkness, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  8. Wreckadge

Wreckadge Active Member

Best Answers:
    He doesn't deserve rep. At the top he claims he has written this article, but if you copyscape it you come up with a bunch of exact copies.

Wreckadge, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  9. creztor

creztor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    May be the case, however it is still useful info for those just starting out. I advise people do more searching around you will find great tips like this.

creztor, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  10. cucr3

cucr3 Peon Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    The new Craygo Elite has a ton of features that help with your posting, but this is great advice as well.

cucr3, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  11. benc007

benc007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Has anyone used LivingEasySoftware or CL Auto Poster successfully? Do they offer a free download and trial?

benc007, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  12. artguy51

artguy51 Active Member

Best Answers:
    artguy51, Aug 27, 2008 IP