1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Reputation?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by ViciousSummer, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    of course it's spam, but the first one that has ever cracked me up :D

and btw. he who never spammed shall throw the first stone

Blogmaster, Dec 16, 2004 IP
  2. isaiasd2003

isaiasd2003 Guest

Best Answers:
    uh, where are these reputation points you speak of?

isaiasd2003, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  3. isaiasd2003

isaiasd2003 Guest

Best Answers:
    Is that why it says Peon under my username? lol

isaiasd2003, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  4. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    The first place they appear is as either a green or red square on the top right of your post right after it gives the number for the number of posts you have made.

You give people points by clicking on the scales icon at the top right of a person's post. You can see the last few votes you got if you go to your own control panel -- see the menu bar top left item "User CP".

I think that does it. Now after you have posted 50 messages you can come back to this post and click on my scale and give me some positive rep for helping you. :) :)

compar, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  5. Bazkaz

Bazkaz Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow... talk about your resurected threads.

Your title of "peon" is based on your post count. Get over 50 and it changes...

Bazkaz, Jun 10, 2005 IP
  6. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    This thread is hilarious ...

Blogmaster, Jun 11, 2005 IP
  7. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Why is it "hilarious"????

compar, Jun 11, 2005 IP
  8. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It isn't. That's just another random nonsequiter increase-the-post-count reply from Toots. Do a search... most of his are like that.

minstrel, Jun 11, 2005 IP
  9. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It isn't. That's just another random nonsequiter increase-the-post-count reply from Toots. Do a search... most of his are like that.[/quote]

Minnie, you need to stop following him around just to see what he posts...

debunked, Jun 11, 2005 IP
  10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I'm not, debunked. I was subscribed to this thread and recived a notification.

minstrel, Jun 11, 2005 IP
  11. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    It really isn't actually. It is kind of sad. Just looking back and seeing how the whole rep arguing started ...

explains countless recent arguments.

12. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Bad manners, Minnie. Never answer for others. I guess you got your personality from your mom who had no manners to pass on:rolleyes:

13. Audrey the Editor

Audrey the Editor Peon

Best Answers:
    I am quite new to this forum. I visited when an acquaintance gave me the URL. I thought it would be a good place to learn more about Web business and share the things I'm good at.

While checking out various threads, I came on one about swearing in the forum. I replied to a comment made by a member who said that everyone swears. I don't and said so. I said so respectfully. Not only were some of the replies disrespectful in tone, but when I went back to the Use CP link, I noticed that I had a red mark by name. The explanation? "I disagree."

I came to this thread, looking for some clarification. I moderate a private forum that does not have a ranking system. If it did, I would expect it to relate to something about the quality of a person's replies, rather than to whether current members agree with opinions or not.

As I've read through this entire thread, I've tried to understand the culture of this forum. It seems there is a lot of banter between people who seem to know each other. Some of it involves the sort of punch-in-the-arm cameraderie I see "guys" using with each other to express affection.

It also seems there are some comments that are intended as personal insults.

Am I reading this correctly?

If I expect my ideas to be taken seriously and treated with the sort of respect I afford others and their ideas, should I stay in this forum or pack up my tent and go elsewhere?

As a new person, I have no desire to impose my culture. I only want to understand the culture I find myself in here.

Audrey the Editor, Jun 12, 2005 IP
    SEbasic and Josh like this.
  14. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Impose anything you want and just take it on the chin from those who disagree with you for no rhyme or reason. The cream will float to the top. :)

If you think like you are in your post, you'll go crazy here. Most will tell you exactly how they feel. That's life. Use what you can and discard the rest.

noppid, Jun 12, 2005 IP
    Josh likes this.
  15. Audrey the Editor

Audrey the Editor Peon

Best Answers:
    You've used two words that are clarifying things for me.

Think and feel.

I do try to keep posts in a forum about Web business in the thinking realm.

And I think you have answered my question. The culture here is about letting feelings all hang out regardless of the effect that might have on someone else.

It would be repugnant for me to impose my ideas. Share them, yes. Impose them, no.

And I certainly have no need to put my chin anywhere if the expectation is that it will be socked. Not only am I not equipped for fisticuffs, I have no desire to enter training for that.

I am a person who takes some joy in sharing what I know. I teach as well as edit. I also love to learn. The effective exchange of ideas happens best in an atmosphere of respect. (I'm defining effective here to mean an exchange in which a person hears what someone else is saying and seriously considers the merits and possibly changes -- learns.)

I've been a little taken aback by several comments I've come across, where one person asks for feedback, gets it in what sounds to me like a helpful neutral comment, and comes back with a defensive comment, sometimes suggesting the person who offered an opinion was less than intelligent. In my experience, those kinds of defensive comments are born of fear, which is definitely in the feeling category.

I have no need to change the culture of this fourm. I only wanted to understand it so I could decide if it was a place I would choose to spend some of my valuable time.

It's been a very interesting experience.

Your comment helped me see what is at the foundation. And you are right, this environment would drive me crazy.

Audrey the Editor, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    There is a fascination with reputation and the garnering of it which is quite amusing. The best reputation is one which is a side effect of going about your business. And I suspect that alot of the reputation given is for witty rejoinders in the Chat forums and not for comment and advice in the "business" part of the forum.

I first became aware of reputation when one very vocal member joined and gained himself a bad reputation and complained because his outspokeness gained him many black marks. We've since learned how to manage him ;)

I know that other members actively chase reputation points with the same enthusiasm as I used to collect girl scout badges! They're also actively trying to boost their post count...

If you build a community there may be banter and if so you need to give that some space. I'd say try to keep it clean and use the forum software to automate that - but other than that how tight you want it is up to you. Some people will not like heavily moderated forums. I know another where there has been an exodus since full moderation was turned off.

Hope this helps :)

Sarah

sarahk, Jun 12, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  17. MELLA

MELLA Peon

Best Answers:
    Guilty as charged, ma'am. :(

MELLA, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  18. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    One way to get lots of greens is to complain about unfair reds, there will be about 20 people that give you a red to "make up for it" :)

I have mixed feelings about reputation. It is sort of nice to rate people, so that they can't post live links or such if they spam, or something of the like. But it also can easily get out of hand. People rate you down for no reason at all... I tend to do the oposite. The only thing I ever give reds for is people spamming their ref. url :)

I just give out greens at random ;)

Josh

Josh, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  19. MELLA

MELLA Peon

Best Answers:
    OR...

Green rep people and demand they green rep you back. Ay Joshy! :p :D

hehehe glad ur back, kidda..

MELLA, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Just don't get confused about it. Once I tried red repping people and demanding that they green me back, but it didn't work :eek:

minstrel, Jun 12, 2005 IP
    Josh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.