1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MSN said to be launching Thursday

Discussion in 'Bing' started by dazzlindonna, Nov 9, 2004.

1. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    So why the fuss if it's just an update to the existing engine?

It's not going to be any more competitive if the results aren't any better.

nadlay, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  2. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not really sure what you mean l0cke, can you point an article out that backs that statement up?

Everything I've read makes it seem like the techpreview is being released.

SEbasic, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  3. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Then what's the difference? Are you sure of this?

Help Desk, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  4. rwhetsto

rwhetsto Peon

Best Answers:
    rwhetsto, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  5. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6447048/
    I believe the preview that a few people here have been playing with may be what is being "Plugged" into MSN. Take a look at the the above news article from MSNBC (a Microsoft owned company).

6. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Right, so we ARE going to see the techpreview results then?????????

SEbasic, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  7. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    I suppose we will find out tomorrow.

nadlay, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  8. thfc1afc0

thfc1afc0 Peon

Best Answers:
    To be fair, when have M$ ever lauched anything low key. Esp on a project this big.

thfc1afc0, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  9. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No. 1 software company expected to release its long-awaited Web search service Thursday.
    November 10, 2004: 6:31 AM EST

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. will launch its long-promised Internet search engine Thursday, competing directly with market leader Google Inc., sources close to the company said.

Earlier Tuesday, Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer told shareholders at the company's annual meeting Microsoft would beat Google's technology and double its advertising revenue in the next five years.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/10/technology/msft_search.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

joeychgo, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  10. l0cke

l0cke Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, wasn't completely awake this morning :). I saw an article on slashdot that linked to this: http://news.com.com/MSN+launches+revamped+search+engine/2100-1032_3-5254083.html

What I didn't realize is that article is dated June 30, 2004.

l0cke, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  11. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well considering MSN doesn't have anywhere near the users that Yahoo and Google has, it's not like a change in MSN rankings is really going to do much for most people. Users that normally use Google or Yahoo would actually have to abandon Google/Yahoo in favor of MSN in droves in order to really drive a significant amount of additional traffic. I would like for it to happen since MSN rankings are easy to manipulate, but I just don't see it happening.

digitalpoint, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  12. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I do...

Microsoft has a full history of using online marketing to push new products and services.

For instance, when the MSN Toolbar was released, there was an ad on every single page of about.com informing us of this incredible new plugin for your browser.

They will no doubt be advertising the fact all over their site too...

This is where marketing will prove incredibly interesting to watch.

SEbasic, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  13. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    How many people do you know with the MSN Toolbar installed? :)

They might pick up a small percentage of users from advertising, but for a search engine, ultimately what it comes down to is relevancy. People might try it, but if a different search engine gives them better results for whatever they are searching for, they aren't going to keep using it.

Look how big Google has gotten... strictly because it's a good search engine and people told people. Not because of marketing or Super Bowl ads.

Like 99% of the end users in the world, I have no loyalty to any search engine... and as soon as someone actually makes something better than Google, there will be a shift in usage (myself included), but I don't think any amount of advertising will make someone use something consistently if there is something better out there.

digitalpoint, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  14. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    How many domestic users have toolbars installed?

Valid points though.

I guess this is all dependant upon the results returned by MSN.

I do think that marketing and brand awareness will play a huge part in this though, at least to get initial uses of the service from people, then it will be down to the results to make people stay.

SEbasic, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  15. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    one thing i notice with techpreview is that it changes its ranking very fast. Last week one of my site ranks in top 5 but today it only ranks 24 :(

melfan, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  16. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    Most people that use MSN are those who are not very computer literate. MSN is their default homepage due to ie default or software from their ISP. You would be suprised how many people do not even know how to enter a URL.

Microsoft's search will become much more important in the future when the start integrating a pre-installed search bar into Longhorn and such.

17. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    I agree, there is a huge segment of internet "users" out there who have no clue what they are doing and their default home page is probably MSN. Look at AOL, I never understood why anyone would want to use that junk, but millions of people do....and I know a bunch. I don't think they are going to take over tomorrow, but I am sure they will hype it up pretty good.

All I know is, I hope to see search.msn.com in my logs more come Thursday.

chachi, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  18. jocknotech

jocknotech Peon

Best Answers:
    If you come up great in Google...you will probably say the MSN has poor search results. If you come up favorably in MSN, you will probably say the search results are superior to Googles. I think MSN search results are far superior to Googles :). Go figure.

OK, I admit I do better in MSN. But... so radically different (but not bad in Google) that there must be two very different ranking criteria. If Microsoft were to pull off a coup and knock off Google as the #1 Search (marketing can do that), boy will SEO change. Will backlinks be so important (they are not on the NEW MSN), will PR mean much or anything...etc? Unfortunately, keyword spammers still prosper in both Google and the NEW MSN.

Before any of you Google-only fans say NEVER as far as MSN knocking them off the number #1 spot...let me just quote or paraphrase a line from the movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley" where Steve Jobs says to Bill Gates in an angry tone (about their operating system) "We are better than you", says Jobs...and Bill Gates says "You don't get it, Steve..that doesn't matter". Microsoft certainly has the money and products to leverage.

I hope both do well and others too...Yahoo, Teoma. Its a shame so many sites have to funnel through such a small space.

jocknotech

jocknotech, Nov 10, 2004 IP
  19. ian_ok

ian_ok Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not convinced.....

The beta version is VERY slow and on a search for:

andalucia accommodation

You get:

This site is temporarily unavailable, please check back soon.
    Didn't get the results you expected? Help us improve.

Hmmmmm not even I would release a beta version if it doesn't even do the things it is meant to.

Mind you the msn bot has been going mad on my sites, so you just never know.

Ian

ian_ok, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  20. princet

princet Peon

Best Answers:
    The beta version is apalling.
    When searching for my keywords, the serps are dominated by affilate codes.
    Not to mention that my main site is indexed with 800 pages, mostly weird cgi pages, the real content is not visible.

I'm glad this just is a beta, more work obvioulsy needs to be done.

princet, Nov 11, 2004 IP