1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain name expired-how long until available

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by debunked, Mar 7, 2005.

Hello folks,

Wanted to know how long a registrar can hold a name after it has expired and not been reregistered. One of my competitors has closed shop and the name is now expired since 3/4/05 but it is still tied up and I don't want to make it cost more by letting someone know I am trying to buy it. (Hope to capture any of their old customers who may have bookmarked the site or any listing remaining on the web, some directory listing still there.)

Thanks for any info you may have on this subject.

debunked, Mar 7, 2005 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Domains that expire at DomainsNext are released after their term expires. Please remember when looking at a domain's expiration date that the format is Month/Day/Year- MM/DD/YEAR. Domains that expire at another registrar are subject to their own policies. They do vary from registrar to registrar, however, there are some consistencies. There is usually a grace period, and then a period when the domain is "on hold"- where nobody can do anything with it. Generally, you will need to give a domain at least 30 days from the time of expiration to be released. You cannot put in any kind of "pre-claim" on the name. You'll have to wait until it is released by the registrar, and then register it manually. Lately, Network Solutions has adopted the policy of not releasing domain names. If a name expires at Network Solutions, they will require it to be re-registered at NSI. For a registrar's specific release policy, you should contact the registrar that owns the name. You can find out who is the registrar for a specific name by entering the name into the central database search engine at http://www.internic.net/whois.html.

From another registrar

What is the Redemption Period?

ANSWER:

The redemption period is a Registry level period of up to 30 days that occurs when a domain name is deleted after it expires without being renewed. Instead of just being deleted and returned to the pool of domain names available for registration, the registry holds the name in a REDEMPTION PERIOD. During this 30-day period, the original domain registrant may retrieve the domain name from deletion (usually for an additional fee) by contacting their Registrar.

This extra 30-day period extends the time available to renew expired domain names. However, all names that enter the redemption period are removed from the zone files (the list of domains currently in the global DNS); therefore, any Web site or email services associated with the domain name will stop working.

After the 30-day redemption period there is a 5-day pending delete phase. When a domain is in this phase no one can retrieve the domain and it cannot be registered. After the 5-day pending delete phase the Registry will release the domain name back into the public pool of available domain names.

We strongly recommend that you renew your domain registration before the domain name is placed in redemption. If your domain name is placed into redemption, we cannot prevent the zone files being removed from the DNS and your Web site and any associated services will cease to work.

IMPORTANT NOTE There is an additional fee, separate from the renewal fee, for retrieving a domain name from redemption.

I would start watching for availibility of domain name one month after expiration date.

Two of my clients let their domain names expire. One changed her e-mail address and failed to notify registrar. We were able to reregister it during that period of one month after domain name was released and a cost of 100 + regular registration cost. I never got full story on the other domain name. What I heard did not add up. That domain name was bought as speculative venture by someone I would classify as scalper. Person bought a person's name. We purchased dot net version of name and went on our way. Suspect scalper will have to eat that domain name.

Shannnon

Smyrl, Mar 7, 2005 IP
    FreeFun4Every1 likes this.
  3. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Shannon, the 30 day grace period was something I was thinking there was but couldn't rmember if that was true or if it was some sort of 48 hour or 1 week thing. I just don't want to show to much interest until I know I can get it.

I don't want to pay anything extra since the name itself sucks, just that I know they had repeat customers. They sent a few my way at the end before the fully closed up site.

I will wait it out, I will first do a little research since it appears to be at godaddy and that is the same place I have names registered.

debunked, Mar 7, 2005 IP
  4. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Second piece of info comes from Godaddy.

Good luck. I followed a domain name that expired several years ago at TUCOWS. They hoarded it forever. One day I happened to check and it was available again and I registerred it.

S

Smyrl, Mar 7, 2005 IP
  5. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Most are 30 days, though some are as long as 45. I might be worth investing on one of those domain snap services that register a domain automatically as soon as it becomes available.

MattUK, Mar 7, 2005 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    digitalpoint, Mar 7, 2005 IP
  7. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    I've never seen tucows hold a domain name; but I have seen netsol just hold the name forever....

flawebworks, Mar 7, 2005 IP
  8. ian_ok

ian_ok Peon

Best Answers:
    For one that I bought a few months back I emailed the hosting company and told them the domain name...I didn't want to do this for risk of them trying to rip me off and not releasing it....but all went well...I think they didn't have system and when I told them they then updated the status and it soon came available for me to buy.

Ian

ian_ok, Mar 10, 2005 IP
  9. sweetlouise

sweetlouise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    snatching an expired domain is a really difficult procedure and its not for the faint hearted. there are many companies that specifically model thenselves around this, i think one is called "pacific north" i read in a article someplace.

sweetlouise, Dec 15, 2007 IP
  10. abdobasha2004

abdobasha2004 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think it is 12 day on godaddy

abdobasha2004, Jun 19, 2008 IP
  11. kaizersuzi

kaizersuzi Peon

Best Answers:
    I am also watching one domain that expired this month. Finger crossed it will be available.

kaizersuzi, Jul 10, 2009 IP
  12. Sapphiro

Sapphiro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Roughly around 2-3 months from what I experienced from buying a deleted sapphiro.com last month after it's been expired since march or april. :)

If you want to check when a domain is going to be deleted, pool.com is fairly accurate. (1 day early/late for me)

Sapphiro, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  13. sumit1710

sumit1710 Peon

Best Answers:
    Is that so that old domains are proffered over newer ones ?
    Why people go for older domain names ?

sumit1710, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  14. bhuvasona

bhuvasona Guest

Best Answers:
    Just wanted to confirm this so i mailed asking the same question to name.com support mail
    and this is what i got as a reply from name.com

bhuvasona, Aug 30, 2009 IP
  15. 2dareis2do

2dareis2do Peon

Best Answers:
    check this one out too:

http://dropdates.co.uk/

2dareis2do, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  16. bms

bms Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    bms, Nov 22, 2012 IP