1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Top Listed DOmains

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by dvduval, Jul 4, 2005.

1. tortuga

tortuga Peon

Best Answers:
    When you learn of a page that links to you, do that site a favor by submitting a bookmark to a site such as del.icio.us, furl.net, simpy.com, jots.com, spurl.net, etc. Submit the URL with an accurate set of tags. A link to your page is of no use unless Google sees it.

tortuga, Jul 6, 2005 IP
  2. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    or they are like many people thinking:

it's bad, but not that bad, can't be, maybe it'll get better, hope so ... let's close our eyes and make a wish that it will :)

Blogmaster, Jul 6, 2005 IP
  3. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Alucard

This is an opinion expressed to me by a friend and former classmate who is in a senior management position in Google. People in Google are not stupid and they have a pretty good map on who is who in editor's chain in DMOZ and what domains they have. Look at post # 71 in this thread, they are not easily fooled just because editors use address in foreign country for domain registration.;)

rob777,

This has been discussed before in both WPW and in this forum. Any such action will not be about why they don't list somebody but on subjects ranging from criminal conspiracy to tax evasion.
    I am not a lawyer and I can not predict if this will ever happen or even if it happens, it will be successful but in a present economical situation (Enron, worldcom,..), any suggestion of illegal activity will be a kiss of death for a public company and can hugely influence their share price which is the last thing Google managers or shareholders want.

gworld, Jul 6, 2005 IP
  4. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I can answer that. For one example, someone could if they have proof and file a restrictive trade lawsuit against DMOZ. If there has been a set criteria in place for this directory and it can be shown that this directory has a binding effect on sites it list and other sites that meet this criteria are denied a listing this constitutes restrictive trade. Which the FTC and US Attorney Generals office might be interested in.

2. If enough complaints are filed with the FTC based on the complaints that there is spectulation of listings for payment the FTC will investigate and may bring suit against DMOZ since DMOZ is suppose to be a free of charge listing directory.

3. If there is evidence of fraud presented to the US Attorney Generals office there would be legal action taken. Fraud is defined as; A deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain. I preceive this as in this example:

If a competitor is denying my listing to gain an advantage over my business on the internet or has offered me a listing based on a payment which is not required by the directories TOS he or she has secured through DMOZ an unfair and unlawful gain to a business tool which I have been denied access.

4. From my understanding the National Association of Realtors is looking to take action against DMOZ. If this happens this could be the type of advertisment that google doesnt wish to receive.

Just because this is a directory does not mean that they do not have a responsiblity legally and ethically to the general public. Being a Volunteer or free directory does not relieve you from legal liability.

Las Vegas Homes, Jul 6, 2005 IP
  5. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent post, Las vegas Homes! :)
    What's more, if google is basing there algorithm on such illegal practices, they would not necessarily be exempt from liability, especially if it could be shown that they were negligent in taking action after receiving reports, so it might be good to start reporting abuse directly to google..

dvduval, Jul 6, 2005 IP
  6. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I really do believe that Google is a key to it all. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't be having this conversation anyways :cool:

Blogmaster, Jul 6, 2005 IP
  7. ethical

ethical Peon

Best Answers:
    Do me a favour and analyse my posts to explain my decline in coherence.

ethical, Jul 6, 2005 IP
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is that there is nothing in your posts to analyze.:)

gworld, Jul 7, 2005 IP
  9. ethical

ethical Peon

Best Answers:
    Then you should have no problem making sense of them should you?

And in light of the London events squabbling over a silly old directory seems puerile

ethical, Jul 7, 2005 IP
  10. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Isn't it amazing how meaningless this thread can look after that?
    I know that the arguments will continue in here, but at least for a little bit there should be some kind of break :)

Blogmaster, Jul 7, 2005 IP
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It is sad what happened in London but to put thing in perspective, 20,000 children die of hunger every day and this kind of event is a daily routine in Iraq and Afghanistan.

It is strange how these things are fine, if it doesn't happen in our own countries.

gworld, Jul 8, 2005 IP
    ethical likes this.
  12. ethical

ethical Peon

Best Answers:
    while we squabble over whether CNN has too many DMOZ entries. Shameful.

ethical, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  13. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What is the relation between these things? Are you going to contact justice department to stop investigating MAFIA because there are more important problems in the world?:rolleyes:

If you want to stop discussion about DMOZ corruption, try to come up with logical argument, otherwise we have all read about what happened in London, 9/11, war on terror and other social, economical and political problem in the world.

It is very interesting how DMOZ editors and defenders, all of a sudden don't want to discuss the subject when the other side has access to uncomfortable facts about their dealings.;)

gworld, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  14. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with you! Easy to run away, "ethical", right?

LMAO

fryman, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Typically gutless, Toots. You take a swipe at DMOZ. A DMOZ editor posts in the thread. You suddenly change your tune.

Did someone drag you into THIS thread too, Toots? Is someone making you post here again? :rolleyes:

minstrel, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    And then of course we get the usual self-promoting plea to post at your sorry anti-DMOZ blog... :rolleyes:

minstrel, Jul 8, 2005 IP
    rob777 likes this.
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I'll join you in that public expression of gratitude, David. Let's not forget the travel sites and recipe sites and real estate sites with multile (2 and 3 digits worth) listings -- "DMOZ - listing the best of the web"...

Uh-huh... and doing a bang-up job of it, clearly... :rolleyes:

minstrel, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  18. ethical

ethical Peon

Best Answers:
    To the best of my knowledge the justice dept here doesn't investigate the mafia. Hell we have problems getting any crime investigated. But I get your point.

My point was that if someone is getting some cream for listing bad sites then so be it. It's a low priority. I'd rather concentrate on the failures of all our Governments to protect the people of Rwanda, Cuba, Iraq, Afghanistan, Burma, Timor, Yangtze... I'd rather concentrate on whether may family are safe and well in a city that's just been bombed.

I'm not an editor of note anyway, I have no control, I don't even know who to bitch and moan to. For all I know I'd be like the cop you see in bad movies who complains to his corrupt boss and gets shot. If the corruption exists in the first place.

ethical, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  19. ethical

ethical Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, and I got this little message
    Silly me, I thought the topic related to the concerns of an editor about sites being listed hundreds of times.

dvduval never said it was garbage. That's not what the topic is about. Perhaps the endless hijackers want that to be the topic, but it's not how it started!

ethical, Jul 8, 2005 IP
  20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I understand that you are DMOZ editor and probably don't know very much about computer but if to try to scroll down in the first page, you will find some thing called General chat, click on that and you can discuss Cuba and Iraq as much as you like.:)

This thread is about DMOZ and you are trying your best to put stop to it, may be you think if you prove your loyalty in this way, you will get a better position in DMOZ chain.:rolleyes:

If this is your plan, tough luck because much smarter crooks are in the line in front of you.;)

gworld, Jul 8, 2005 IP