1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Boycott Arab Gas - Stop Funding Terroism

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Mia, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Sorvoja

Sorvoja Don't hide my ads!

Best Answers:
    Sorvoja, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Ah, the optimism intrigues me. The point of this thread was to make an attempt to actually try to do something rather than blaming others and those in power. But I agree, on the liberal side of the isle, it is very hard to get anything done. These guys love their SUV's and private jets.

Mia, Aug 29, 2005 IP
    Crazy_Rob likes this.
  3. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    The best part of that article (or at least most interesting) is right at the end

yfs1, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  4. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats funny as they don't not have the majority at this point and our president is an oil businessman

ServerUnion, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  5. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    neither politcal party has done much to push fuel efficiency, hopefully as oil prices go up the free market will drive , non fuel efficient cars off the market. Of course if there had been a tax on gas before this point it would have stimulated it earlier.

but hey bush and crew have totaly control for over 4 years now, there is nothing stopping them from doing whatever they want

Of course I am total hypocrite, my boat gets let 5 miles to the gallon, but hey I don't drive to work

Not just the president , vice president, condi was on the exxon board of directors(it think)

I mean even if you arn't a conspiracy theory nut, it seems sort odd doesn't it.

Can you imagine GW going on TV and saying, ok everyone buy less gas. Or everyone get a car with better fule efficiency, has he ever done that?

acutally I guess he does http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/05/20050516.html

ferret77, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  6. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    Cost me $160 to fill the boat and around $45 each for my car and SUV yesterday. OUCH! About $250 for gas!

Think I may have to find some hobies other than cars and boats. Maybe next week I will just take a bus to the marina and sit in my boat.

ServerUnion, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  7. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    In all fairness, no politicians are really doing that as they all benefit from oil money. These corporations may have republicans in their pockets but they also donate a LOT of money to ALL political parties. They know what campaing funds get them.

On top of that, the general public only complains about gas when it is expensive, and they aren't about to give up their huge car---thats their right!!!

Despite the email being a pretty dumb idea, the power DOES rest in the people. If they demanded these things and showed it by cutting their petrol use, slowly many politicians would follow. Not because its right of course, but because they want the votes.

yfs1, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  8. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    Politicians are Politicians whether they be Democrat, Republican, Independant, Labor Party, or National Peoples Republic for the Democration Rebuilding of the Federation of Galaxy 63654.64xyw. Politician's will serve their own agenda's to the end of their "reign" and will surround themselves with people who will help them to their goals. You wanna know how many politicians are there "for the people" make them civil servants who make what the middle class makes and see how many last in their position. Conspiracy or not, I find it hard to believe any of them would stay.

As far as boycotting Arab gas, you are more then welcome to try, but, I believe it would take a huge portion of the population boycotting for a week or more to get anyone's attention and even then they know they have you by the short and curlies, you have to have fuel to get to work to pay your rent, food bill, and all of the other lovely little ammenties that make like so very wonderful. just my $.02.

palespyder, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  9. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    wonder what gas prices are going to be up to after this hurricane?

10. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    My guess is over $3.00 a gallon here anyway (it's currently $2.58 gal). I know on CNN yesterday they were forcasting between $.30 and $.60 increase per gallon and according to CNN money gas rose $5.00 a barrel to top out at $70 before falling back to +$3.60 a barrel. Sounds like it could be that way for awhile too.

Kinda makes me nostalgic for $1.75 a gallon ;)

**editted to make a bit more sense**

palespyder, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  11. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    No but they did for 40 years in congress, and 8 years in the "living on borrowed time greedy 90's" and look at the result. It's taken and will continue to take a long time to undo that damage.

"our president is an oil businessman" Think about that for a moment. He was also a baseball team owner. But think about that for a moment too. He owned about 2% of the team, but people still think he owned it. He owned a small piece of it. And yes, bush did have stock in Harken (oil) at one time.

This was back in the 80's when at the time Bush did not have a large fortune. He bought a two percent share of the Rangers in the 80's, financed with a $500,000 loan from a bank. Bush used the proceeds from his sale of Harken stock to repay this loan. The sale of Harken stock equated to about $850,000.

Now without going into a longer dissertation on how Bush made his millions, in short it was the sale of the Rangers years later that netted him close to 15 million bucks off his original $650,000 investment. Not oil. He is not an oil tycoon. Sometimes listening to liberals speak about things like this is like flipping through the new channels, or watching some washed up comedian on that Politically Incorrect show. It get's old. I'm glad I still live in a world where I am actually able to think for myself.

Ok, so now that the oil conspiracy has been put to bed perhaps we can continue to talk about how to stop using Arab oil, or oil in general.

Mia, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  12. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What I am getting sick of, is they use every excuse they can find to increase prices right now. The hurricane is making OIL prices go up already? Because the hurricane is hitting the oil? no.. I can see gas prices going up because of a refinery being shut down but not oil. arrrghh

We don't have much choice in driving a big vehicle, they won't let me tie my kids to the top of a honda!

debunked, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I'm not certain where you live, but there is a tax on gas here, and there always has been. As a matter of fact, Wisconsin has the highest gas tax in the nation. Actaully I do not know of a single state in the USA that does not have a gas tax. Most of what you pay at the pump is tax! And we had a presidential canidate that wanted to slap another 50 cents on top of that (per gallon!)

You cannot tax people into submission. When will liberals get that through their mind? Our dismal economy thanx to 8 years of BC was revived and "stimulated" not through more tax, but less tax, and more incentive to earn money, your money, that YOU can keep and spend.

Look at other things that have been taxed to death and tell me that it has had a positive affect. Cigarettes comes to mind. That and the luxary tax on bigger vehicles.

My point? You are not going to reduce dependance by taxing people. You are going to reduce dependance by actually getting up and going out and buying a more fuel efficient car, or buy buying a hybrid, or converting your car to LP, or just not using some of these things for a while.

Mia, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  14. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    umm yeah both have had a good effect for me

You have got to freaking kidding, bushes whole family has been in the oil business, and they cater to the oil business, no matter what your political affilation you have to be blind not to see that, blind crazy , something.

Everyone bush surrounds himself with is in the oil business, it simple facts, you can look it up on the internets

15. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    maybe tax is a dirty word mia, perhaps you would perfer we stop subsiding oil companys, I mean its really the same thing isn't , the same thing happens price of gas goes up. Taxing or subsibsing the oil industry both interfer with the free market right?

Maybe if we didn't subsidise the oil industry the prices would have went up a long time ago, and the free market would have solved the consumption problem before it came to this.

16. daamsie

daamsie Peon

Best Answers:
    Man, I haven't been on this site for a while. I didn't realise how xenophobic it has become! :eek: Talking about arabs and muslims like they're all terrorists is about as intelligent as saying all Americans are abortion clinic bombers. What bothers me the most is that it seems no one is even taking offense. Are there no intelligent, free-thinking people left on this site?

Not to mention that the idea is absolutely stupid in its entirety. If Americans were crazy enough to boycott Middle Eastern oil en masse, China (in particular) and the rest of the world would quite happily use that extra oil supply to their competitive advantage, leaving America's economy resembling that of Liberia (that's in Africa btw).

Less reliance on cars? That I can agree with :)

ps. hoping this thread was actually sarcastically intended, but sadly I seriously doubt it

daamsie, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  17. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Yawn... It gets old...

Mia, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  18. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Nope, simple economics from sophomore year high school economics class. The Law of Supply and Demand.

Little supply, large demand = high price
    Large supply, little demond = low price

The free market does solve it's own problems without being asked (sorry not asked) without being forced to contribute additional money to the government.

I did not say tax was bad, nor did I say it was not necessary. What I did say was that you cannot tax people or problems into submission. It just does not work.

Mia, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  19. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Offended by what? Who said that all Arabs and muslims were terrorists? No one can deny that there are Muslim/Arab terrorists. No one said they all were. If it makes you feel better to assume the pain of being offended, then by all means, go ahead.

To answer your question, yes there are quite a few intelligent and free-thinking people on this forum. Read the entire thread and you will see that. This thread has evolved in several different directions not the least of which is an open discussion talking about ways to reduce dependance on oil in general. What is so offensive about that?

There's an intelligent and free-thinking thing to day. Yep, reducing reliance on foreign oil is a stupid idea. Brilliant. Talk about offensive. I fail to see how finding an alternative source of energy is going to cause problems for America's economy. Lest you forget China's economy survives because the US buys their goods. Without the US there is no China, nor is there any money for China to happily buy oil. I fail to see the logic.

Ah to do that it means less reliance on foreign oil, and new source of domestic forms of alternative energy.

No, no sacrasim, but it did get your attention. That's the point.

Mia, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  20. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

If only economics was so simple , we would get rid of poverty from the world :D .

There is something like "elasticity" of demand. Elasticty refers to the extent by which changes in prices can cause changes in demand or supply.

Demand for petroleum is highly inelastic. This comes from the fact that petroleum is an essential commodity and that it doesnt have any substitutes.

http://www.ecoteacher.asn.au/Demand/elastsli/e11.htm

D'' is more inelastic than D'. Demand curve for petrol is nearly vertical.

US cannot wish away its demands by saying lets stop using oil from middle east.

Even taxing wont work to reduce demand. In fact over taxing would lead to the cost being passed out to other products in the economy leading to uncontrolled inflation.... a sure shot way to an ecomnomic disaster. US and other countries with high demand for petroleum have just option,.... EFFICIENT USE OF PETROLEUM PRODUCTS.

Finding an alternative fuel is easier said than done. So many people say use hydrogen ... but they dont realise the fact that combustion of hydrogen is not easy to control as combustion of petrol is. A slight manufacturing defect, misuse or a small accident can make a hydrogen power vehicle a moving bomb.

Other alternative sources have their drawbacks too. Someone will find a good alternative someday, but as on today nothing comes close to Petrol .

Attached Files:

sachin410, Aug 29, 2005 IP