1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Directory Script? eSyndiCat PRO or PhpLD 3.0 ?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Maksa, Jul 10, 2006.

?

Which one is the best Dir Script?

1. eSyndiCat PRO

78 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. PhpLD 3.0

180 vote(s)
    69.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaboora

Jaboora Banned

Best Answers:
    What is that? Is this a directory script or is it many things like wordpress integrated into phplynx? I am liking the template a bit also?

Jaboora, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    phpLynx is a directory script.

minstrel, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  3. Jaboora

Jaboora Banned

Best Answers:
    Thank you kindly minstrel for your reply. I am to look at this phplynx with interest as I am liking first impression but do want to be looking at Joomla as well for my project.

Jaboora, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  4. aubenrey

aubenrey Banned

Best Answers:
    The demo posted is 100% only phplynx script, the additional pages you see are from the static page wysiwyg editor within the admin control panel, if you read the latest news on the page i think it tells you this.

Thanks
    aubenrey

aubenrey, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  5. Jaboora

Jaboora Banned

Best Answers:
    I am trying to be understanding but am to be a newbie for what they call it. I look at Joomla to be catering for my project but was also seeing this phlynx which I am not hearing of. Please be accepting my apologizing to being stupid but what is this wysigwyg editor please? I am sorry for being of no knowledge and will be understanding if you do not be answering me.

Jaboora, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  6. aubenrey

aubenrey Banned

Best Answers:
    What You See Is What You Get

Pronounced WIZ-zee-wig. Short for what you see is what you get. A WYSIWYG application is one that enables you to see on the display screen exactly what will appear when the document is printed. This differs, for example, from word processors that are incapable of displaying different fonts and graphics on the display screen even though the formatting codes have been inserted into the file. WYSIWYG is especially popular for desktop publishing.

Hope this helps

Thanks
    aubenrey

aubenrey, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    WYSIWYG = "What You See I What You Get"

It's an editor that renders what you type with the formatting options in real time so that what you are seeing on the page appears more-or-less as it will when the post is published.

Or in a web page editor, it also shows the text relative to the images as you create the page.

Most WYSIWYG editors are not perfect but they do provide an approximation of the final product as you create it.

minstrel, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  8. Jaboora

Jaboora Banned

Best Answers:
    I am to thank aubenrey and minstrel for teaching me this. What is this wysiwig to be having to do with directories? Why is it to be used and what is to be benefit please?

Jaboora, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  9. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    It it used for users with no knowledge of HTML, basically able to add content or any images pretty much anything with simple procedures, works pretty much like Microsoft Word if you get the idea.

Write everything you want and hit the publish button! ;)

WatchOut, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  10. Jaboora

Jaboora Banned

Best Answers:
    I am thanking you also WatchOut. I am being amazed to be seeing directories are being versatile. I fear though many things to be learning firstly. I am to be thinking of many questions and to be bombarding everybodies I am hoping peoples not think I be too stupid.

Jaboora, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  11. aubenrey

aubenrey Banned

Best Answers:
    We all have to learn it one way or another, As watchout has already said, the wysiwyg is a quick and easy way to add content to your website without the need to modify templates and such.

I know phplynx has a wysiwyg editor within the admin control panel and it can be used for any page you like, simple create a category add a new page and the page will be available to the internet in the format of your existing template, quick and easy page addition.

Not sure if other directory scripts have this feature, The phplynx demo shows this off quite well.

Thanks
    aubenrey

aubenrey, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  12. Jaboora

Jaboora Banned

Best Answers:
    I will be to look at this aubenrey and am thanking you for advices.

Jaboora, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    The phrase "may have had a problem with your upgrade" was an understatement. Previous eSyndicat upgrades have been problematical. The upgrade to 2.2x is a nightmare.

I give up. I think eSyndicat is a great product when it's installed but I've had it with the mickey mouse half-assed upgrade process. I've just wasted another evening and I'm no further ahead than I was this afternoon.

I am now looking to purchase phpLynx.

Is it to much to ask for a little competence these days? :mad:

minstrel, Jan 19, 2008 IP
  14. minstrel

Best Answers:
    minstrel, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  15. Jaboora

Jaboora Banned

Best Answers:
    Jaboora, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    If you mean is phpLynx any good, so far that's a definite yes. There are a lot of features in phpLynx so it took a bit of getting used to but the support through my learning curve was superb. Gary at phpLynx has been very responsive and very patient with me. I also commissioned a custom template (theme/style) from jojo at http://www.phplynxtemplates.co.uk and working with her was a pleasure.

I would definitely recommend this one.

17. aubenrey

aubenrey Banned

Best Answers:
    I must admit, I am starting to see some good things come out of phplynx and although there are not many good templaters out there at present, I have seen some of jojo`s work, such as the template she designed which is running on the demo of phplynx, and she is getting better with every template she produces, and correct me if I am wrong her turn around for a template is about 3 - 4 days.

I know the script is packed full of features and would love to see a template which shows off it all, can you post a link to the template jojo made you, interested to see what she came up with.

Thanks
    aubenrey

aubenrey, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  18. minstrel

Best Answers:
    She was excellent. I think it was probably less than that from the time I narrowed down the specifications for what I wanted to delivery of the template.

Certainly. I decided I liked the basic colors she used for the default template (Full Version) so that was her assignment - to design something with those colors that would still look unique.

You can see the results at http://directory.psychlinks.ca

19. Jaboora

Jaboora Banned

Best Answers:
    That is what I would indeed be asking. I am to look at joomla and it is very intimidating to me. I am to think possibly to try phpLynx with hope of good support to help me as I am not to be knowing too much on this.

Jaboora, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Fascinating. I posted "for sale" threads in a few places to sell my phpLD and eSyndicat licenses, including at the support forum sites. Note that these were simply announcements - no script bashing - just saying that they were for sale and giving the price.

I added an announcement this morning to eSyndicat. They removed my thread. No evidence that it ever existed. I guess they don't want even a hint of negative publicity.

I didn't post a "for sale" at phpLD because it sold here at DP before I got around to it. And to be fair, David Duval was gracious about PMing me to tell me how to go about transferring the license. However, when I logged in to reply to the PM, I see an announcement there restricting signature links only to phpLD directories or sites. I presume that the sig links to my directories will soon be taken down?

minstrel, Jan 29, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.