1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

1&1, oneandone, 1and1, one and one, sucks!

Discussion in 'General Business' started by mcfox, Feb 23, 2006.

1. paliz

paliz Guest

Best Answers:
    Okay, all this talk about not going to 1&1 (although I have yet to have any problems with them, can't say the same for my other 3 hosts!!), but no-one is recommending any other hosts to go to??

Okay, so apparently 1&1 suck - so who should I be going to instead? Someone who offers generous webspace, database functionality and virus (& spam) protection. ie. a host that will give me the same specs as 1&1, but who will not take me for a ride...and who is UK based (essential for customer support)

Peter

paliz, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  2. chachacallis

chachacallis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well i am hosting with jabwebsolutions.co.uk , and so far they have been excellent, i tried to stay away from the big companies as they have no time for small fish as myself, dont let the website image fool you check the host that i am using.i used fasthost before and they take ages to get back to you with anything.

chachacallis, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  3. paliz

paliz Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks, will look into them.

Has anyone used http://www.register1.net/ ? They seem to come highly recommended on a lot of forums, plus come top of the rating on http://www.ochostreview.co.uk/ - their prices & specs are very good, £49+VAT per year for a 1GB virtual hosting account with 30GB monthly data transfer & unlimited mySQL databases. Their pro package is even better.

paliz, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  4. dotbeyond.com

dotbeyond.com Peon

Best Answers:

http://1and1sucks.info says it all

dotbeyond.com, Apr 27, 2006 IP
  5. dotbeyond.com

dotbeyond.com Peon

Best Answers:
    they will attempt to hold you no matter what

dotbeyond.com, Apr 27, 2006 IP
  6. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    I really think that 1&1 have shot themselves in the foot long term.

As a short term strategy I'm sure they have been successful in generating revenue but when you piss off so many webmasters by locking their account on maybe a hundred domains after they decide to let one expire (even if they have gone through the protracted and tortuous domain cancellation procedure), it can only be to the detriment of your long term success as a company, imo.

mcfox, Apr 27, 2006 IP
  7. hrushenka2000

hrushenka2000 Guest

Best Answers:
    I have read with great interest the comments about 1&1 and their cancellation policy, automatic renewals without notification and their use of a debt collection agency to enforce their policies.
    I myself have had problems with 1&1. In July, they automatically renewed my domains without any notification and in full knowledge my card which they were holding on file had expired 6 months previously.
    The first contact I had with 1&1 was a letter demanding the payment of 15.12, which was surprising, as I had had no previous contact with them. The letter also threatened to refer me to a debt collection agency which would incur a further 15.00 penalty.
    When I asked why I had not been sent a notification Email prior to the expiration of the domains I was told this was ‘not their policy to do so.’ I thought this rather unfair, as by not doing so, they were effectively trapping customers into a further extension of contract who, should a reminder had been sent to, may have cancelled.

This raised an interesting point as 1&1 are ICANN accredited and under the terms of the accreditation agreement, the registrar (1&1) must send an expiry notification Email to the domain name holder prior to the domain expiring. This is stated in the rules clearly laid down my ICANN.

Below is an extract from the ICANN ombudsman’s FAQ page:

“Are registrars required to give renewal notices to domain name holders before the expiry of a domain name?”

“Under ICANN's Registrar Accreditation Agreement domain name holders have to be sent an email notice prior to a domain expiring. The email address will be the one you list on WHOIS, so it is important for you to keep it up to date. If the email is sent to the email address on WHOIS, and that address is no longer valid, the Registrars may little other chance of contacting you.”

You can view the original text from the ICANN ombudsman’s website here:
    http://www.icann.org/ombudsman/questions.htm
    In addition to the above, 1&1 is also in breach of ICANN accreditation agreement by renewing the contract without assurances of payment for the services being renewed.

"3.7.4 Registrar shall not activate any Registered Name unless and until it is satisfied that it has received a reasonable assurance of payment of its registration fee. For this purpose, a charge to a credit card, general commercial terms extended to creditworthy customers, or other mechanism providing a similar level of assurance of payment shall be sufficient, provided that the obligation to pay becomes final and non-revocable by the Registered Name Holder upon activation of the registration."

The fact that 1&1 renewed my domains in full knowledge that the card had expired 6 months previously has contravened the above accreditation clause.

"3.7.5 Registrar shall register Registered Names to Registered Name Holders only for fixed periods. At the conclusion of the registration period, failure by or on behalf of the Registered Name Holder to pay a renewal fee within the time specified in a second notice or reminder shall, in the absence of extenuating circumstances, result in cancellation of the registration. In the event that ICANN adopts a specification or policy concerning procedures for handling expiration of registrations, Registrar shall abide by that specification or policy."

It may be argued that automatic renewals without prior notification are not fixed term contracts, but are an indefinite contract. Indefinite contracts are non-compliant with ICANN regulation 3.7.5.

The above demonstrates how 1&1 are not fully complying with the industry best practice as set out by ICANN and in not doing so, are gaining at the customers detriment and to the disadvantage of other companies who fully abide by ICANNs rules.

I have discovered 2 websites that are worth looking at:
    www.wasitfree.com (self help group regarding issues raised here)
    www.bankraid.com (scrutinizing the business conducts of the aforementioned company)

Hope this information is of some assistance.

Regards,

Jason

hrushenka2000, Oct 12, 2006 IP
  8. Adrian7b

Adrian7b Member

Best Answers:
    I've had a home package with 1and1 USA for over 5yrs now.
    Here is what I've leanrned during these years:

1. Do not NEVER EVER register a domain name with them. Even if it's FREE! like what they used to do back in 2003 for .info domains.
    [Cancelling a domain name with them is a pain, even thought they do not require you to send them a fax or a letter by snail mail any more. Also if your payment method on file fails for one domain, they will renew it anyways, then lock everything you have and send you to collection, atleast that's what they did to me.]

2. If you think you will have to call their tech support for anything other than server being down or FTP server ignoring your IP, Do not get a hosting package with them.
    [I think other people have already talked enough about their support.]

3. Pay them yearly or atleast every 6month.
    [If God forbbid, your billing method on file fails for one 4.95$ domain, they will lock everything you got as they locked 10 domains of mine, then they will send you over to a collection company which will charge you 20 times of that 5 bucks.]

4. Do not get your packages under more than 1 user/acct.
    [My wife decided to start a blog, she registred her domain name with them and tried to point it to my hosting package with 1and1, but we found out if you want to point a 1and1 domain to a 1and1 dns under a different account you have to pay an extra 8$/yr for that service!]

If you follow these rules you MIGHT have a pleasent expirience with them.

Adrian7b, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  9. plumsauce

plumsauce Peon

Best Answers:
    Glad this thread is still alive.

They just got me today for a $40 redemption fee on a domain.

They claim it expired FEB 01.

All my invoices say FEB 03 to FEB 03 of each year.

So, they jump the gun, and I have to pay.

They have 1 of 70 domains. The other registrar does not even blink if you renew 2 weeks late. Guess what's going to get transferred after 60 days.

Even after $40, they say its going to take another 5 days to get the dns to resolve again, and, the NS has to be setup all over again.

plumsauce, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  10. Alvin

Alvin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have bitter experinces with 1and1.com

their custmer service sucks...

I would suggest STAY AWAY FROM THEM

Alvin, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  11. kehnee

kehnee Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought I was the only one who had problems with them. Their customer service is the worst around and for a company thats in the business of servicing clients.

I had called to find out why I was charged for something I had no hand in. Talked to the first customer service person and was told I would be reimbursed my money, when I called back to confirm was told that couldn't be done and then that customer service person hung up on me.

That aside, does anyone have a recommendable valuable alternative registrar that offers more but within the same price range.

I need to move from them.

kehnee, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  12. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    1&1 (or one and one) really offer the crappiest service it has ever been my misfortune to use. That they appear to still be offering customers a dreadful service is simply unforgivable.

There are plenty of other domain registrars that will happily give you a great service for your money.

For simple domain registration I would recommend GoDaddy.com.

mcfox, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  13. netpox

netpox Active Member

Best Answers:
    1and1 has one of the best rates and deals on bandwidth. Its ok service if nothing goes wrong, but as soon as something goes wrong and you try to call support or email them you're screwed. They don't know jack and will just tell you that they will have to let tier 2 answer this question and that you will be notified when its fixed. You never get an answer again.

netpox, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  14. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Then your account gets locked and all domains / hosting suspended until the problem gets fixed, if ever.

mcfox, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  15. gemini181

gemini181 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had no trouble at all.

Based on price, I bought over 15 1and1 domains.
    Based on rumors, I started transfering them all away to Godaddy
    They never made me fax anything, perhaps that is when you sell to someone else.
    ~~~~~~~
    This I know for certain:
    They have clear, directions on how to cancel your next billing, if you don't follow the 'steps', then they do bill you again :eek:

I had no trouble at all with 1 and 1, and might use them again.

gemini181, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  16. jimbob2006

jimbob2006 Banned

Best Answers:
    1and1 are a pease of shit, they took down my servers after 10 days --,--

jimbob2006, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  17. icfire

icfire Peon

Best Answers:
    lol, i personally love them. I use TONS of bandwidth, and they let me. I once got overcharged for bandwidth when I shouldn't have, so I phoned them (took like 10 minutes) but once I got through i was refunded.

icfire, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  18. Arcos

Arcos Peon

Best Answers:
    Following a number of customer complaints regarding website not being available my monitoring of up time on 1and1.co.uk shows as low as 84%!! And over the past month not even coming close to their "99.99% guarantee".

If I had the money to sue them I would!! with their blatant lie and the evidence I have regarding uptime I recon I would be onto a winner!

This along with the email fiasco a few weeks ago their service is just so bad!

The problem is though who to move my 30 domains to?

Having spent quite a long time reviewing hosting companies in depth I am still yet to find one that can actually provide a good service, with good support for a reasonable fee.

Any recommendations?

The hosting must be MS and allow 30+ domains. It must also provide good uptime!!

Thanks

Arcos, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  19. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Move your domains to other registrar(s) such as GoDaddy.com for .coms and 123-Reg.co.uk for .co.uk domains. Keep your domains seperate from your hosting. All you need to do is change the nameservers to point to your hosting.

There are lots of different hosting companies. You would probably be better choosing a reseller account option - that way you can add lots of domains using your reseller account (you don't actually have to resell).

mcfox, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  20. kehnee

kehnee Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't understand how a company still exists when it gets so much flack about their unsatisfactory service and they do absolutely nothing to change it.

I ordered a new hosting package with 1and1 for an online project, less than 10days ago. I found out that I won't be needing the hosting plan anymore since the current host decided to keeping hosting the site for me. So I went through the cancellation process at cancel.1and1.com and actually got confirmation that my cancellation was complete.

I check my account and find out that lo and behold I was charged by 1and1 for the hosting package. Bear in mind I didn't have this hosting for up to a week, which in my opinion should qualify for their '90 day money back guarantee', right? Correct me if I am wrong.

I called in and had to wait endlessly on the phone for a representative. Modern day technology helps notify the customer how long they have to wait, but I guess that only applies to modern day companies not 1and1.

I finally got to talk with a Customer Associate (CA) and was told that they already issued out refund for that amount. But heres the catch, it wasn't the whole amount. I was told it was prorated and that if i wanted a full refund I would have to request for that. The CA was kind enough to say that she would put in the request and that a supervisor will manually have to request a full refund for me. So I asked her why, would a refund not be full since the payment was in full? (Good question I presume if I didn't use the service, then pay me back my money in full).
    She says 'thats how the system has been set up'. And it makes me wonder why.

Why would you have a system setup to give partrefunds for a service that was never used in the internet world less than a week it was ordered? And why do the customer have to request his/her full refund? Not every customer knows they have or can do that I was only told per chance thanks to the nice young lady I talked to.

Something needs to be done about this company. They are money hungry and will do anything to quench their hunger.

kehnee, Feb 14, 2007 IP