1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Changed Its Algorithm !!

Discussion in 'Google' started by dpking, Aug 23, 2008.

Looks like Google changed its algorithm and now its not giving that much importance to anchor text.
    I was surpriced with the sudden fall in the ranking for my experiment page and many other webmasters reported something similar.
    Read More

Also give your opinion about this issue !! :)
    Suggestions and new idea's always help in discovering new things !!
    Thanks

dpking, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  2. salman4raza

salman4raza Peon

Best Answers:
    i have noticed this change some years before. and this is not only for google, all other SE gives it importance

salman4raza, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  3. lycos

lycos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure how you confirm on this and come up with this conclusion but why do they want to remove the importance of using anchor text in the first place?

lycos, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  4. dpking

dpking Peon

Best Answers:
    Buddy, Google is not giving Importance anymore this is what the latest change !!

Performed an-experiment 2-3 months back, and was able to get Top10 position at google.com for the targetted keyword, but now its no where ... Many other webmasters reported something similar so I think its enuff to conclude that Backlinks .. a.k.a anchor text are not that much important now !! :)

>>why do they want to remove the importance of using anchor text in the first place?

I believe because of massive abuse of backlinks and anchor text, everyone is busy in making backlinks instead of providing quality in the content.

dpking, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  5. JohnS0N

JohnS0N Notable Member

Best Answers:
    True, a single anchor text won't get you far for the term you want to rank. Search engines are leaning more and more towards latent semantic indexing, what this means is that SE's can recognize similar and related terms more than ever before. A query on google for:

will not only return the words "laser" and "surgery" in bold, but also the most theme related terms. It seems "eye" is one such word. Theme relevance is a very important factor nowadays and you better have some of these related keywords on your page to rank higher.

About links; You gotta have multiple related anchors, for example if you want to rank for "car insurance", you would want other anchors like "insure car", "auto insurance", "automobile insurance", "insurance for cars"... just like natural linking done by others would be.

To rank high for the term "auto insurance" it would be best to have a separate category related to this term and make a lot of posts that include the term "auto insurance" + 1, 2, or 3 keywords and then link them back to this broad keyword, "auto insurance".

JohnS0N, Aug 23, 2008 IP
    lycos likes this.
  6. scubita

scubita Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely something changed last 2 months. I'm saying it since July... Besides, anchor text will always loose it's power in Algo to links from social communities, etc etc because this is the way to go near future.

Agree. This is another huge change for SE's and they are implementing it.

Untill an official confirmation comes up from G we can only guess. But major changes are happening this summer...

:rolleyes::)

scubita, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  7. Adulu

Adulu Peon

Best Answers:
    If anchor text not important, what's important now?

Adulu, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  8. JohnS0N

JohnS0N Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you would actually read the thread you would get an idea. :rolleyes:

But as everything in SEO, nothing is a guarantee.

JohnS0N, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  9. lycos

lycos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi JohnSON, What you are saying here is true. I believe google has reasons for coming up with all the changes. I believe that by doing this, google can prevent their search engine from being manipulated by webmasters and for that, allows only sites which are really good relevant to the search comes out top in ranking.

lycos, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  10. farhajr

farhajr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks to know all that let me know more

farhajr, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  11. tradeya

tradeya Notable Member

Best Answers:
    so it mean people will pay more attention to content relevant and keywords density in the content more than before. that would be good for the surfers who are looking for the information as well. am i right?

tradeya, Aug 23, 2008 IP
    Cameljourney likes this.
  12. izwanmad

izwanmad Banned

Best Answers:
    I guest this is good things.. because what more important is the website content. if just using the anchor text for ranking, its not appropriate because webmaster can put their website for 1st ranking by put their link (with anchor text) at other website... and this seems to look like a spam.

definitely your website content.

izwanmad, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  13. dayjober

dayjober Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can see the change. But Search Engines sometimes make experiment changes to see if they can give better results that way. Also they give importance to things percentage-wise. So, even if they lower the importance of Anchor Text for now, you still don't need to panic. If they find the change in Algorithm is not giving any better results or giving worse results, they would revert it to the old Algorithm. Also whatever changes the SE's make, you can still get good rankings if you can think about how would they have changed the importance factor and experiment a bit.

dayjober, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  14. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm not seeing this, i've got quite a few test sites propped up with only backlinks/anchor text and they haven't shifted.

What are your primary backlink sources? The reason is Google has probably devalued the "types" of backlinks your site most relies on.

sweetfunny, Aug 23, 2008 IP
    tradeya, Jim4767 and DavidK1 like this.
  15. DavidK1

DavidK1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe this is a more likely reason.

DavidK1, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  16. nikmahajan

nikmahajan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the anchor links these days are nofollow. That's why SE are not indexing them.

nikmahajan, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  17. Abhik

Abhik ..:: The ONE ::..

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Thats probably it..
    BTW, if you rank well for a keyword, you will also rank for a non-targeted, but similar keyword.

Abhik, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  18. Ant_C

Ant_C Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you are jumping to conclusions.

There could be 100 reasons that your page no longer ranks well.

Why are you so sure it's down to anchor text?

Ant_C, Aug 23, 2008 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  19. lorocreative

lorocreative Active Member

Best Answers:
    i would say they hit all the web directories.. took the link weight down and the result is, that many guys here lost their rankings

lorocreative, Aug 23, 2008 IP
  20. chuckypita

chuckypita Peon

Best Answers:
    Google "rankings" pages have shifted?

Well, I guess it's a good thing I'm just a "rookie" so I can get adjusted to this new shift quickly!

chuckypita, Aug 23, 2008 IP