1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Futher questions on "robots.txt" file

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by tayiper, Jun 20, 2006.

This thread is a some kind of continuing of the I just applied adsense.. one ...

I am curious: why not to use "robots.txt" (especially if they allow Google to index) ??

For instance my "robots.txt" (I was playing with them long time ago though) allows all bots to index, but just restricts access to some "sample" directory (used for testing), so this doesn't have any impact on the actual site's documents indexing. And what about "robots.txt" vs. robots meta tag (i.e. if they are conflicting)

P.S. -- Also, I am not totally sure, does the "robots" principle apply also to sub-domains (or separate servers on these domains); like for instance to my http://tadej-ivan.50webs.com/ site variant, or they aplly only to the domains (i.e. to 50webs.com) ??

thanks, tayiper

tayiper, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  2. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi tayiper,

First of all, Google will index your site, if there is no robots.txt. You can only use robots.txt to disallow access to some parts of your site.

robots.txt contains instructions addressed to web robots. META tags are commands included in web pages; some of them are addressed to search engines.

You asked what happens if they are conflicting ? If robots.txt disallows access to some web pages, a compliant robot will not read the disallowed pages, thus its search engine will not be aware of the contents of these pages (it will not know which META tags they include).

Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  3. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    you will need to place a robots.txt file for each subdomain also: robots.txt

ServerUnion, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  4. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly! For tadej-ivan.50webs.com, robots.txt should be located at tadej-ivan.50webs.com/robots.txt .

Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  5. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks all for the replies ...

tayiper

tayiper, Jun 22, 2006 IP