1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Renewed Suggestion - Change COOP Weight Forumula

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by joeychgo, Jun 18, 2006.

With Google having 'issues' -- whatever they are - I want to renew my suggestion that the weight calculations be changed.

These calculations should look at both Google and Yahoo indexed pages.

My weight bounces all over the place. This is mainly because Google bounces all over the place, even when its not broken or whatever it is right now. This is not good for SEO to have my incoming links significantly bouncing up and down constantly. I have forums that go from 200k pages to 20k, and back to 200k indexed. My weight jumps all over the place, and does so suddenly.

Second reason, even when Google drops pages and my weight drops, My site is still serving ads for Yahoo - and often my yahoo index numbers are more stable then google.

For example, I have one site that Google has 125 pages listed for. Yahoo has over 12,000. I am getting credit for 125 google pages, while others in the coop are getting the yahoo benefit. I am serving 12,000 links (x5) to yahoo, but getting credit for 125 links. This in unequal and imbalanced.

Another issue. It seems that related site linking is becoming more and more important. I think we need to expand the site catagories and start making the coop links more related.

Any other thoughts?

joeychgo, Jun 18, 2006 IP
  2. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would definately like to see the coop go to related links, or at least be given the option.

SportsOutlaw, Jun 19, 2006 IP
  3. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Just a guess Joey, but I don't think Google's broken. This appears to me to be effectively debunking link networks, scoring systems used and network users within.

I may be wrong, but if I'm right it is working quite brilliantly, IMHO.

Cheers

H

Homer, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  4. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, this has been an ongoing issue for some time. Especially for forums and other large dynamic sites.

joeychgo, Jun 20, 2006 IP
  5. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I see, I haven't used it for over a year but I have been following the crap about site:, cauche issues, bad data pushes, etc. It certainly is starting to look like they are broken. Some of us have choosen to abandon Google SEO and any associated known tools ;).

Homer, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  6. rth

rth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joey,

I agree that Google has become an unreliable source on which to base the weight calculations. I think that Google should be totally replaced by Yahoo indexed pages in the calculations.

There was once a clone site of the coop that was not an option for me due to the coop's restriction on competing ads. If that site, or a similar site, were now available using yahoo indexed pages, I would switch without hesitation.

Roger

rth, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  7. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I think the Google issues are temporary. Its my belief that by using a method which takes into consideration both Yahoo and Google indexed pages, that COOP weight will be more stable and more reflective of the quality of a site.

Another factor that could be taken into consideration is last cache date (from both yahoo and google) of the homepage.

joeychgo, Jun 23, 2006 IP
  8. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I used to use this but do not anymore. Got tired of the inconsitency. I won't even use it to server banner ads because it is not worth my time for a forum that has 300,000 posts and 1500 uniques a day with a 3 Page Rank mainpage and 4-5 PR subpages getting a 4 weight. No thanks.

BamaStangGuy, Jun 25, 2006 IP
  9. tstaut

tstaut Active Member

Best Answers:
    Add me to the list. Google's constant inconsistency is a huge detriment to the co-op and its members. It's clear that the large majority of webmasters using it, and the co-op itself, would benefit from diversifying where the weight comes from.

tstaut, Jun 25, 2006 IP
  10. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    I can't make heads or tails out of the idea that the main system changed yet the beta API didn't. That has to be part of the issue. Or did it change?

noppid, Jun 27, 2006 IP