1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Thoughts on CTR on both PPC and SERPS

Discussion in 'Pay Per Click Advertising' started by mgford, Jul 31, 2008.

I've been trying to get my head around what kind of CTR I can expect to my website for both the PPC advertising that I use and from my natural position on Google Search Engine Results Page.

I would really appreciate the thoughts of anyone on this forum with a better understanding of this than I.

I found some metarial on the web that gave the following click through rate based on SERPS position. It is based upon a total of 20,000 serches for a specific keyword and I have rounded the figures up or down.

Position Clicks

1 42%
    2 12%
    3 8%
    4 6%
    5 5%
    6 4%
    7 3%
    8 3%
    9 3%
    10 3%
    11 0.66%

For a particular keyword (Space Toys) I believe that there are 400 searches per day (Australia) and I am currently getting about 15 hits per day for this keyword. This amounts to a CTR of 3.5% which seems to agree with the above table since I am ranked Google number 7 for this particular keyword.

Does anyone else have any information on CTR based on SERPS which either agrees or disagrees with the above table ? It seems that there is a huge difference between just being on the first page and being in the top 3 in Google.

I'll be working on my site to try and improve this number 7 position for this particular keyword but in the meantime I'm also using adwords to try and get better exposure. So I pay my nominal amount and get position 1 or 2 for the term "Space Toys" within adwords.

From that number 1 or 2 position I get about 10 clicks per day (2%) for the same term and based upon about 400 impressions. I know that "Space Toys" is a fairly general term so it's not going to have a high CTR but it still seems pretty low compared to the number 1 position with SERPS on Google.

If the information that I have found is correct then if I were number 1 in SERPS on Google then I could expect 160+ clicks from 400 searches for the aforementioned term. Yet, when I'm number 1 in adwords for PPC I can expect only 10 clicks for the same term.

It seems odd that while 42% of users will click your site if it is ranked number 1 in google for the term that they searched and only 2% of users will click your same site with the same message if it is a PPC advert at the top or right hand side of the page.

Are my calculations correct or is the information on SERPS and CTR that I have found, out of date or wrong ? Does any one else have any thoughts on this ?

Cheers

Martin

mgford, Jul 31, 2008 IP