1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

not satisfied

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by Dirkjan, Feb 11, 2005.

I have always thought that 1 good PR related link does more than 5,000 random links, but since I think my website could cross the 10k I decided I couldnt complain before I actually tried: The co-op network.

I am doing it for more than a week now, currently a weight of 8300.

My links in SE:
    Google: None
    Yahoo: Little links, no effect
    MSN: More links, still no effect

My site looks crap, with foreign links, odd links, links that I doubt should be accepted, and mostly non related links.
    I have many outbound links now, which makes me lose positions. I have a site with a PR, so I GIVE PR and get links of sites that have PR0 and might even be bad neighbourhood to me.

I am not satisfied, and will probably shut down the network from my site this monday. Results are mostly what I expected. I probably just see if I can pay a few dollars for a few new PR5 links, which most likely have way more effect.

No offense to DP or anything, I love all of the tools, just the co-op is not made for sites that can get positions and PR by themself I guess. It might be good for new sites, with huge forums or something, but for a ready site, its currently nothing extra.

I hope for some reactions! Who agree or disagree, as long as they are constructive!

Dirkjan, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  2. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    By the way:

I checked some sites where my link was supposed to be up: Just to get an idea. I have the idea many sites have the banner not up (of course I dont expect my site there, it probably changes every time, but there should at least be a banner of anything at all with a text link. I havent seen them).

Dirkjan, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  3. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Name/url of the site? And i think you should give it a bit more time. 1500 new backlinks within a month for google that isnt bad right? And not to mention the other 100k of backlinks on all other search engines.

crazyhorse, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  4. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Just more than a week and 8K weight?

I started co-op before Xmas with under 1K then added two more sites and got 3K. I been building content and now at 4K.

Now, I don't know if it's co-op, google's "superbowl" update or just my plain determination and hard graft... but I now have a main KWT ranking in top 10 where previously it was 140ish for 6/7 months...

Whether it stays there or not I don't know but it's improved my traffic and as a result my revenue has improved too.

Like I said, I can't put my finger on exactly which factor made the improvement (too many things going on at once) but with an agonising wait something has worked... :)

I had some down moments when I thought nothing was working but currently it's an up and I hope it stays like that.

Like someone once remarked - best SEO tool is patience.

Lever, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    The links from your site don't necessarily land at pages with Co-op links on it.

1 Week is way to short to expect things. As sais before, it's no miracle thing. I got #1 for a competitive 2 word phrase in 7 weeks. On G and Y (#9 MSN).

It does work.

Theming is coming as well.

T0PS3O, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  6. Haichi

Haichi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would give it some time

Haichi, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  7. Dirkjan

Best Answers:
    the 1400 backlinks in google are old ones. the site is not new so thats why I expected something like 10k weighth. Its not moving in google after more than a week, only in other engines I see some changes in backlinks, not in positions. The site is already quite good in engines, especially in google, so with a few spots changing I would get a few 10s more visitors per day.

I noticed that a new theme link PR5 definately gives an instant (within 48 hours) increase.

Still the worst thing about the whole co-op is that I have BIG FAT UNRELATED and sometimes even foreign links, just because I try to hit a spot in engines (which didnt even happen after 7 days) I dislike it.

If I could change the size, and put it in a nicer format, with related links (for example entertainment, or games) I would like it more. currently its wrecking my site, and Ill remove it monday if by then, there are still no changes.

Dirkjan, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  8. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I will miss you

I'm sure everyone else will too, the coop needs as many people as possible

Seriously what do you want for free and in a weeks time

Then you have always thought wrong

you can format the links anyway you want, I'm not sure what you are talking about

ferret77, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  9. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Dirkjan -

I think you need to educate yourself a little more about the Coop Network. Once you have a better understanding of it, you may come to find you stay.

Also, no one claims the Coop is a miracle worker so if you think it replaces all other SEO, you will have trouble. Coop links only account for 15-20% of my links because we keep plugging along elsewhere but it has proven to be the difference between #6 and #1.

Leave if you like but you will only be hurting yourself. I saw MSN results in about 2-3 weeks and Google results after a month.

Its great stuff but I suppose not for everyone. Patience and diversity are the keys to SEO and if you don't have either, you will sink.

yfs1, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  10. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Well said guys. I'd like to add about that Dirkjan says he already ranks decent on those words targeted.

We all know that an increase from 10,000 to 100 is easy.

But trying to improve from 12 to 8 is a whole different story. It's almost exponentially more difficult.

One week is definitely redicilous to worry about impact. Poeple reportin overnight miracles experienced exactly what I mentioned, went from n/a in the KWT to 80 or something.

Co-op is part of the marketing mix and can work really really well in the right situations.

T0PS3O, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  11. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Your moaning after one week? If you don't like it, come of the network now?

Sorry, but why are people moaning about FREE advertising, and only after ONE week of including the ad's on the site - some people really piss me off!

DarrenC, Feb 11, 2005 IP
    yfs1 likes this.
  12. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, a week is definitely to early to judge this on.

Dirkjan, it sounds like your using the big clunky text banners. Those are ugly and will degrade your site's appearance.

You do know that you can just have a small row of text links instead, right?

And to see the sites that your link has been on, don't click on the link. Go to search.msn.com and check for backlinks. On the pages it gives you, look at msn's cache of the page. Of course, there won't be a huge number of sites given a week's participation. Give it a month and look up the backlinks. Then allow even longer to actually see google serp improvements.

Or quit, up to you :)

Christopher, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  13. Dirkjan

Best Answers:
    hey you pissed off guy (edit your own posts because you are too rude eh? well here is ya reply), go buy some painkillers or grab a beer and please quit with computer and seo stuff if only a guy, that is not satisfied and asks for feedback, makes you feel bad. really man, losen up!

Secondly, I dont moan, I ask for feedback, because I am not content yet. Third of all, its not free, its a link at a well ranked site, I could ask money for links, but place other links for free, hey in other words, I am donating suckers PR!

To those people that help me; Yeah I ment the grey big 468x60 things, and no I didnt know I could change them. I actually read Shawns story (where the co-op is not about engines, but about clicks), so I guessed they are ment to be clicked on. A single small link on the bottom of my website will not get clicks. I thought they grey was important to make them very visible.

If I can make a small link from them, and just add them to the site of my footer, in a color I can decide myself, then it will be a whole different story because then they quit raping my website. Then they probably will not be seen by my visitors, and not disturb my site any longer.

I did check MSNs cache. Thats where I found out that some links were already taken, but had no effect yet. Otherwise, I would have waited for the links to come.

For the people that didnt read my post:
    Currently I get annoyed by big chunky foreign sites about really not related subjects. NOT BECAUSE I EXPECTED A MIRACLE AFTER I PUT UP THE BANNERS AND SNAPCHED MY FINGERS. No. Not at all. I hated the big banners. Some people only care about SEO, some care for their site, and their visitors, my main subject is how my site looks to my visitors, as I already have a few number #1 spots (on my subject I got the second most used keyword, and about 20-30 top10s in Google.) so I know some of the SEO drills, I have patience, just not with big grey foreign banners.

I will get into it, and will think twice about asking advise in this way, as people are probably used of thinking the bad stuff about people. Thanks to those people that actually have patience themself as well instead of only demanding it, and try to help (most people here at DP).

Dirkjan, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  14. kyle422

kyle422 Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe it was your english in your first post, but I don't think it was put very eloquently.
    At the end you say no offense and ask for feedback in an attempt to make it sound like you aren't bashing the network, but you were. A lot of people here are happy with the results from this "FREE" service. I think you should spend some more time worrying about links with keywords in the anchor text than precious Page Rank. If PR is your concern I really don't think the Ad Network is the place for you.
    No offense.

kyle422, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  15. Dirkjan

Best Answers:
    I am not worried about PR, but PR is, for me, still a measure to count with. Relevancy even more... And yeah it could be my English, as its not my first language.

And.. OK well I read my post back, yeah I was a little negative about the network ;) perhaps even more if I learn new things, like how I can make the banners look nicer on my site. Decriptions below each link is necessary right?

Dirkjan, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  16. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Dirkjan: I think you should give this a fair chance. I joined the co op in Dec 2004. I really noticed results after 30 days...big time.

I have no doubt the co op network helps SERP's...I think most will agree. How you allocate your weight/ ads is key.

Homer, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  17. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    PR is not as important as most think. My view is it has become purley entertainment. So why are some people in this co op so concerned about passing along thier precious PR. I have 20 website's in this network ranging from PR 3 to 6. With a inurl count of over 100/k.

The concept here is simple you get out of this what you put into this.

On the last PR update my sites all dropped PR. At the same time I was joining the network. My PR loss had nothing to do with the co op. However now that all my sites have been docked PR value, for whatever the reason...my traffic is at an all time high. My adSense has never seen so many impressions.

PR is a joke...my opinion.

Homer, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  18. Jim bob 9 pants

Jim bob 9 pants Peon

Best Answers:
    At the bottom of my site you will see the co-op text links in white, no description just harmless looking links!!

www.visitdevonandcornwall.com

Regards
    Jimbob 9 pants :eek:

Jim bob 9 pants, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  19. ProductivePC

ProductivePC Peon

Best Answers:
    Same thing with mine Dirk.
    www.worldfamousgiftbaskets.net

Hey Dirk, Are you the dirk that has the many websites that we exchange links with? If so, did you sign up through the network through the reply to your e-mail we sent you or through someone else?

ProductivePC, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  20. sfhuck

sfhuck Peon

Best Answers:
    FYI, you're page is showing "<%=ads(0)%> - <%=ads(1)%> - <%=ads(2)%> - <%=ads(3)%> - <%=ads(4)%>" at the bottom of it, below the co-op ads.

sfhuck, Feb 11, 2005 IP