1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

High Search, Low competition keywords

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by axemedia, Jun 8, 2006.

I recently found a key phrase that gets about 4 million searches, according to overture, and only 150k pages in Google with that exact term. As in "keyword phrase"

But a search for keyword phrase, no qoutes, has millions of pages.

If i create pages targeting the exact phrase am I competing with only the 150k or the multi millions, or both.

Most searchers don't bother with quotation marks. But since I will be targeting the exact phrase wont I be thwarting off most the millions of pages without the exact phrase? Am i then really competting with mainly the 150K and a few well ranked non-exact match pages.???

What say ye?

axemedia, Jun 8, 2006 IP
  2. IMGster

IMGster Peon

Best Answers:
    you have to realise, they will not use quotes 99% of the time

IMGster, Jun 8, 2006 IP
  3. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I know that. But since I am targeting the exact phrase do I stand a decent chance against the millions of non-quote search results when there are only 150,000 exact phrase matches?

I'm giving it a shot, regardless. But I would like to know what I am up against here.

axemedia, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  4. itsme

itsme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here's the thing that most people don't understand:

Using quotes will give you results containing pages with an "EXACT MATCH" for your search. So if you are searching for "blue widget" you will get:

without quotes - ALL pages that contain BOTH the word BLUE & the word WIDGET

with quotes - all pages that contain the exact phrase "BLUE WIDGET"

SO, when trying to determine the amount of competition, ALWAYS search with quotes. This will give you an idea of the number of pages containing an exact phrase match... these are the guys you are competing with.

Then you can do a bunch of other tests to see how serious the competition is about that keyword.

All results without quotes are irrelevant. You can have 100 million results, chances are that 99% are crap and you will jump ahead of them in the SERPs as long as you make sure your page contains the exact keyword phrase.

Hope that helped.
    Pete

itsme, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  5. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    That's what i thought.

And what I was hoping :)

axemedia, Jun 9, 2006 IP
    itsme likes this.
  6. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    What kind of tests? Beisdes looking at the sites in the top 10 and checking their backlinks and on-page optimization.

axemedia, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  7. kelp

kelp Peon

Best Answers:
    Try to type allinanchor:keyword in Google without any quotes. The results that come up will give you websites that have backlinks with the keyword in them.

And then check the backlinks at the first couple of websites. Basically, if you can get more backlinks with the keyword in the anchor text than them, you probably have a chance.

kelp, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  8. itsme

itsme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When doing ANY search for determining competition you MUST USE QUOTES. Always.

This is because you will be optimizing for an EXACT keyword phrase, not a random combination of words. Therefore you must use quotes to determin the actuall number of competing pages, links, whatever.

Always use quotes. Always.

Use:

intitle: - to search the pages that contain your keyphrase in the title

inurl: - to see if they have it in the URL (domain or other)

inanchor:
    allinanchor: - these check the backlinks... very handy. Use both.

ALWAYS USE QUOTES.

The thing about allinanchor and inanchor... they are similar but not the same. When you use inanchor you will get results containing your keyphrase and anything that contains your keyphrase and other words before/after it.

allinanchor will return ONLY the EXACT keyword phrase you are looking for (assuming you are using quotes, and you should be!) :D

Ok, that's enough. You might become dangerous if I give you any more info!
    :eek:

itsme, Jun 9, 2006 IP
    axemedia and 1prox.r like this.
  9. khakha

khakha Peon

Best Answers:
    be careful; overture numbers are inaccuract most of the times :(

khakha, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  10. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    What? Little o'll me? Dangerous? Naahhhh. (see 2nd line in my sig, the part about Yahoo, not Google)

Thanks for that. Thats golden info.

Yeah, i'm sure they are, but do give a good base to use as an indicator. I would think.

What other tools can be used to determine search frequency of keywords and phrases?

EDIT: New multi post feature is cool :)

axemedia, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  11. itsme

itsme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try wordtracker and keyword discovery. They are paid but worth it. Wordtracker is good 'cause you can pay for 1 day and you'll get about 3... more than enough to research a few industries and get a feel for the system.

Of course if you find it useful you can get a longer subscription and do a LOT of research for all your sites.

itsme, Jun 10, 2006 IP
  12. indigobean2003

indigobean2003 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Searching with quotes won't tell you if Google will dump your page in the supplementary index or index it directly.
    You have to look at pages that use combinations of your target keyword to.

My favourite keyword tool is Google's Adwords keyword tool. I suggest you try it.

indigobean2003, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  13. moriswatson

moriswatson Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, you can easily do that. Just focus how can you make this possible.

Good luck

moriswatson, Nov 5, 2010 IP
  14. chaty1

chaty1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It will help you to have exact phrase but you still need incoming links with exact phrase. Google breaks it down to the key words if the user includes spaces between words. Using my site as an example. If I search top5free I am on second page. I I search top 5 free I am not in the results.

I use Google adword key word checker. You can find it searching for Google tools. You put in key words and it spits out searched phrases. It includes the number of world wide searches and local searches with those key words it also includes how much advertisers are willing to pay for those key words

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
    chaty1, Nov 6, 2010 IP
  15. fldave59

fldave59 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would suggest a keyword research tool such as Market Samurai or Traffic Travis. check the competition carefully, as you must get to the top of page one to get a decent percentage of the clicks for that keyword. The first result on page one will get somewhere between 40-50 of the clicks, and then it rapidly goes downhill from there as you drop down the page. If page one is chock full off authority sites, you may want to reconsider your keywords and look at some longtail keywords. Remember, the wrong keywords can doom your efforts and hard work.

fldave59, Sep 15, 2011 IP
  16. aliviamallan

aliviamallan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Use "Keyword" - and put in Google ..It provide use real traffic ..

so do work according to google search

aliviamallan, Sep 15, 2011 IP
  17. dollarswealth

dollarswealth Active Member

Best Answers:
    Pls, could someone here help me with a step by step guide on how to do a keyword research for a niche?

Thanks

dollarswealth, Sep 15, 2011 IP
  18. Dynamicweb

Dynamicweb Peon

Best Answers:
    You'll be competing against both. The other thing to realize is that a keyword which is that broad is going to be bringing in very general searches, so it may not be worth your time to optimize for it. It may instead be a better idea to optimize around a keyword phrase which is more specific.

Dynamicweb, Nov 3, 2011 IP
  19. Techmaker

Techmaker Member

Best Answers:
    A Good tread. I am not a expert in seo. so these will helpful to me to optimize my blog. I'll try these. Thanks for the info.

Techmaker, Nov 7, 2011 IP
  20. tradeaust

tradeaust Peon

Best Answers:

high search keywords can be definitively found through the google search coming in top 10 list and the keywords with the low search will obviously have less search

tradeaust, Nov 8, 2011 IP