1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Virtual Dedicated vs Dedicated Server Hosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by dfsweb, Jun 1, 2006.

Hi guys,
    I am just wondering what the difference is between "Virtual Dedicated Server" and "Dedicated Server" hosting plans? I had a look at GoDaddy's pricing for the two and Virtual Dedicated Server Hosting plans around half the price of Dedicated Server Hosting plans. The other difference I saw was that theb dedicated server plans offer 120GB of disk space whereas virtual dedicated only offers 10GB.

I am not concerned about anything else, apart from performance. Would dedicated server hosting be much faster than virtual dedicated server hosting or are both pretty much the same in terms of performance?
    dfsweb

dfsweb, Jun 1, 2006 IP
  2. PrimeHost

PrimeHost Active Member

Best Answers:
    A virtual dedicated server V.D.S. aka V.P.S. is a semi private server - you share the resources cpu and ram with a few others. A dedicated server is a private server - all of the cpu and ram is yours to use.

Performance wise go with a dedicated server. There are many quality companies that I would choose over GD.

If you want an unmanaged server go with Layeredtech.

If you want a managed server go with iWeb in Canada. LiquidWeb in the US.

PrimeHost, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  3. Gugel

Gugel Peon

Best Answers:
    What's the difference between a managed and unmanaged server?

Gugel, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  4. chickens

chickens Peon

Best Answers:
    manged means someone else does the work

unmanaged means you run all aspects of the server. If you do not know how to run a server then you should probably go with a managed service.

chickens, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  5. solar44

solar44 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    managed: somebody else does the work on the server
    unmanaged: you have to do all installations, patches, etc...

solar44, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  6. abdussamad

abdussamad Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually on most VPS you get a guaranteed amount of RAM. This is not the case with godaddy's VDS. However in both VPS and VDS you have to share the CPU with other users.

abdussamad, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  7. steel77

steel77 Peon

Best Answers:
    I moved from a dedicated server to a VPS in the last 3 months and so far has noticed any difference in service or performance. I have a good size database for my website.

I went with WiredTree.com, they have a 256MB RAM Managed VPS for $49.

There is third option when it comes to non shared servers, it is called "Hybrid", I am not sure what that is about but it seems a cross between VPS and Dedicated in terms of performance and price !

steel77, Oct 18, 2007 IP
  8. Virtual dedicated server

Virtual dedicated server Guest

Best Answers:
    Dedicated Servers are Oz Servers Specialty. We provide dedicated servers and dedicated server products to the Australian and international marketplace. Offering a wide range of Windows 2003, Linux and BSD dedicated server solutions. Oz Servers has multiple gigabit links to teir-1 providers. Oz Servers has the flexibility, scalability and control you require to maintain your internet presence. Database Servers, Co-Location, Virtual Servers, High Speed links, Cisco core network..

http://ozservers.com.au/

9. Markwebuk

Markwebuk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is a separate section for self promotion. I think you should have first introduced yourself then you should have made some good post and finally you should gone for the self promotion. ;)

Markwebuk, Jul 31, 2008 IP