1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it true that google gives upper hand to older domains?

Discussion in 'Google' started by tong1991, Jun 25, 2008.

Is it true that google (or other search engine) gives an advantage to older domains? No matter how good one optimizes his search engine results compare to the competitors he's still going to get listed next to them? If so how long does it last?

tong1991, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  2. Szelo

Szelo Peon

Best Answers:
    Google favours older domains, but it is only one factor influencing site's position over the serps. It's easier to promote site with long histrory in Google, but you are of cource able to be over them with better optimalization and linking.

Szelo, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  3. KevMuk

KevMuk Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, with an older domain name comes trust - and Google is big on trust!

However, they are quick to drop the trust of an expired domain that has suddenly changed their content, lost their landing pages of inbound links etc.

KevMuk, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  4. sleuth1

sleuth1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Many people say this , but I have not seen evidence of it, I just launched a domain 3 days ago , its not handicapped as far as I can tell , but others may disagree .

sleuth1, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  5. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Banned

Best Answers:
    No one really knows if Google do or do not favour older domains. BUT, older domains do tend to rank better becasue:

1) They do actually favour an older domain
    2) An older domain has just been around longer and is more likely to have more back links.

SO an older domain could rank better for either or both reasons. No one really knows which.

Secret Squirrel, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  6. andymayo

andymayo Guest

Best Answers:
    Thats the worst post i have read throughout the history of DP.

andymayo, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  7. lazysloth

lazysloth Peon

Best Answers:
    i heard if you pay employee X at google $200 he gets you number 1 spot in 2 days

lazysloth, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  8. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Banned

Best Answers:
    Whats actually wrong with it? Do you disagree with it? Do you have some facts from elsewhere about the topic? Rather than post a throw-away-line, how about contribute something to the topic.

9. patrickberry

patrickberry Active Member

Best Answers:
    my 2 cents worth ...

it is not the age of the domain that matters. It is the age of the backlinks that matter.

patrickberry, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  10. andymayo

andymayo Guest

Best Answers:
    Well when i comented it was full of bad spelling.. the most suprising one was where you said linkely instead of likely.. Grats on the correction.

and to the actual post, you clearly say BUT, older domains do tend to rank better becasue: They do actually favour an older domain

Right after you say No one really knows if Google do or do not favour older domains.

So really you cant agree or disagree with that... It makes no sense.
    need i say more?

and as for contributing, Older domains have advantages, but that doesnt mean there automatically going to be 1st. one advantage could possibly be your less likely to get sandboxed.

11. Luke Beale

Luke Beale Peon

Best Answers:
    The quality of the backlinks and the number of them that matters.

Luke Beale, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  12. patrickberry

patrickberry Active Member

Best Answers:
    hi luke, yes i underatand that, but i suppose were talking of a scenary were all things being equal, (content, quality and number of backlinks ect ..) then my 2 cents worth is

it is not the age of the domain that matters. It is the age of the backlinks that matter.

patrickberry, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  13. andymayo

andymayo Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes to answer this post you do need to be viewing the senario as an equal other wise the question would be "How do i get my site #1" which is the number 1 question here.

14. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Banned

Best Answers:
    You must have been quick to respond, as I edited typo soon after posting.
    If you actually took the time to read what i wrote - I never said the two points I made were true (I said we just do not know) - the two points I made were nothing more than possibility's.
    Google stopped sandboxing new domains a few years ago, so that is no longer an issue.

15. andymayo

andymayo Guest

Best Answers:
    Bullshit my site got sandboxed i was 1st for gaming forums one week and not listed the next. And its quite possible it was bad timing on the spelling..
    but what you say about those two points being possibilities makes no sense at all....

16. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Banned

Best Answers:
    Bullshit? You need to go and do some looking up what the sandbox was. What happened to your site in not the effect of the sandbox. Sites drop for a lot of reason. A sandboxed site NEVER ranked well.

17. andymayo

andymayo Guest

Best Answers:
    Well considering this is another area of opinion rather than fact you cant say that. A lot of articles and people think its a period of 6 months to a year your site can get sandboxed for.

18. andymayo

andymayo Guest

Best Answers:
    and as i was going to say b4 my net cut off.... :\

i understood your point.. but the way in which you said it does not make sense..

you start the scentence with BUT which implies your moving to a new point.. and the point in which you go to is: older domains do tend to rank better becasue:

and then you list two ways in which this could happen.. which is a controdiction..

Back to what i was origionally saying.. your post was bad.. (even with the good spelling) .

19. ncash

ncash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the informations

ncash, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  20. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Banned

Best Answers:
    BUT none of the articles by professional SEO's that talk about the "sandbox" mention that the site ranks well initially before the sandox (as it was traditionally applied by google) ...in fact they all mention the opposite. The traditional sandbox that was applied by google applied to a new site that had all the characteristics that should rank well but dosen't (ie number one for the allin operators; ranks well on MSN and yahoo; etc) ... a sandboxed site never ranked well to start with.