1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Do i Get Listed in DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Jimbob1208, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hi,

I have been trying for months to get listed in DMOZ without any luck. I have followed the editorial guidelines, made double sure I am listing in the right category and language.

Any suggestions?

Jimbob

Jimbob1208, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  2. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Yeah: Focus on getting good links somewhere else.

Blogmaster, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  3. winifred gray

winifred gray Peon

Best Answers:
    I second that, if your site is worth anything you should be able to get hundreds (if not thousands) of quality backlinks of equal or greater value than a dmoz link...the internet is a big place...why focus on one site that likely will never list you anyway...

winifred gray, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  4. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Banned

Best Answers:
    When you say "trying", what have you been doing? If you have submitted more than once, then you have been hurting your chances.

Secret Squirrel, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  5. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    Editors at DMOZ are volunteers. If they are busy with their own lives and though your site has passed all the rules and standards, then you won't get listed.

Bohol, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  6. proprod

proprod Active Member

Best Answers:
    Skip them.

The above doesn't matter. There are several, if not hundreds, of sites listed there that do not meet that criteria nor are active sites anymore. It's up to the mood of the editor and it seems that most of them do not have good ones.

Sue me ;)

proprod, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  7. kewlchat

kewlchat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you have to pay some one lol
    *jokes*

1. Submit your site to a proper category.
    Most of the sites submitted to Dmoz are rejected due to having submitted to improper or wrong categories, so you must find out the most relevant category for your site before submitting it to Dmoz. If you are unsure about which category you should submit to then just do a search in Dmoz for the sites similar to yours and note down the category to which they have been submitted to. If you have done this one correctly then you are having the most relevant category for your website. Now just go on and submit to the category you have got.

2. Make sure that your site has original and quality content.
    People nowdays are looking for more and more quality content and they get annoyed with the sites having nothing more than a bunch of affiliate links or sales letters. If your site lacks in content then you have no chance of making into the directory as the directories nowdays are looking for the sites which have a strong base of original and quality content, if your site doesn't has sufficient content then make sure to add a few reviews, articles and other additional information about your services and products.

3. Get your web site professionaly designed.
    If you have done the above two steps properly then your site is already deserving a listing in Dmoz and it adds more to your credebility if your site is professionally designed. You might have seen many unprofessionally designed sites making into Dmoz, so this not really a factor for your inclusion in the directory but as we know that the editors of the Dmoz directory are also human beings so a professionally designed site does make a good impression on them and thus increases your chances for inclusion in Dmoz.

4. Be sure to put your contact information on the web site.
    Now just putting an email address is not enough. If you are doing a business you need people to trust you by showing them your physical address, so that they dont think that you are a run away business. Many times the editors reject sites if they dont see any physical contact information on the site, so it is very much neccessary for you to put up atleast your phone number on your contacts page, also putting your physical address would be much better.

5. Check your site for broken links and spelling errors.
    Befor submitting your site to the Dmoz directory make sure to check your website for broken links and spelling errors, though the editors are looking for quality but they are also human beings and will be annoyed by lots of errors and clumsily designed sites, so be sure to check and correct the errors if any before you submit your site to Dmoz.

Hope these help you :)

kewlchat, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  8. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Banned

Best Answers:
    Those two will have NO bearing on if a sites gets listed (the contact info is only needed for a regional but NOT a topical listing)

Secret Squirrel, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  9. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    M3rC, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  10. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Banned

Best Answers:
  11. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    The only things that really matter are the website unique content and following the ODP guidelines. Submit it once and forget about it. When an editor decides to edit that category then it might be listed depending on the content.:)

jjwill, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  12. gregdavidson

gregdavidson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe your website was down when they checked on it.

gregdavidson, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  13. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Banned

Best Answers:
    Rarely a reason. When I was an editor, would check Google cache. If it was there the site would be left for later. If not Google cache over a period of a few days, only then would I delete it. Other editors may deal with it differently, but thats what I did.

14. cchetanonline

cchetanonline Banned

Best Answers:
    Remove all ads from your site
    Achieve decent pagerank[3+]
    Make sure your site pass validation by W3C
    use proper font style,size

cchetanonline, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  15. aksClass

aksClass Member

Best Answers:
    hummm,
    i also submitted my website to DMOZ and my website is unique in the world. But till now it is not listed in DMOZ.
    My website is
    http://Shrink2One.com/
    Code (markup):
    Can anyone help?

aksClass, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  16. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:

First post you say - too busy so you scan through for 'potential site'
    Second Post you say - If the site is not up their - we (since you call yourself a DMOZ editor) check up Google Cache

First your too busy, Second you got so much time your going out of the way to get them listed..

hmmm..you sure are an expert in what you speak..............................;)

M3rC, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  17. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Banned

Best Answers:
    What rubbish.
    1. I never siad I was too busy to scan through the potential sites. Read what you quoted me as saying.
    2. I am not a DMOZ editor; Read what you quoted me as saying.
    3. Where did I say "you got so much time your going out of the way to get them listed"? You made that up!
    4. Only when a "gem" was found in the scan of the pool of crap; did I then review them. If the site happened to be down, I need to know if its a temp problem or the site is gone --- I uswed Google's cache to help decide (if the cache is there, then its obviously a temp problem, so I will come back to revoew that site later).

You really need to read what I said in the quotes before making stuff up.

"you sure are an expert in what you speak" - where did I claim to be an expert? You made that up as well.

Secret Squirrel, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  18. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Banned

Best Answers:
    None of those will help or hinder getting a site listed in DMOZ!

Secret Squirrel, Jun 22, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.