1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Input submit button doesn't display background image in IE

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by rtc35, Jun 5, 2008.

I added an input button (type=submit) to a form. This button gets its style from a CSS class that contains a background image. I've used this technique before without problems, but in the site I'm currently developing, the background image doesn't display in IE7 (Vista). Instead, it renders up some default button style. Firefox renders the image correctly. I tested the same class in a div tag and then it displayed fine in IE7. I can't see any significant difference between my older site that uses this technique successfully and the one currently under development.

I even tried changing the document type definition to that of the old site (<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">), but it didn't make a difference. I don't know where else to look for differences between these two sites.

CSS:

.btn_test
    {
    height: 45px;
    background-image: url(gradVert.jpg);
    background-repeat: repeat-x;
    border-style: none;
    display: block;
    cursor: pointer;
    }

HTML:

<input type="submit" name="someName" value="Save" id="someID" class="btn_test" />

I have seen suggestions about using something like this: <input type="image" src="save.jpg" alt="Save" /> however, the text in the button isn't in the image itself, so I need the value attribute to contain the button's text.

Can anybody help me to understand what could cause this change of behaviour? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

rtc35, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  2. rtc35

rtc35 Peon

Best Answers:
    I found the solution in another thread on this forum, which I missed somehow when searching earlier. I just had to add a border to the style containing my background image. The image is ignored by IE without the border. I don't want to see a border, but fortunately, including a 0px border still works. I simply changed

border-style: none;

to

border: 0px solid #FFFFFF;

rtc35, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  3. RoccoSiffredi

RoccoSiffredi Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes! It really works. Thank you very much.

RoccoSiffredi, Nov 15, 2010 IP
  4. moshecogan

moshecogan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes! It really works. Thank you very much.

moshecogan, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  5. gaara_1203

gaara_1203 Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you. it working really.

gaara_1203, Apr 6, 2011 IP
  6. jmort253

jmort253 Peon

Best Answers:
    My <input type="submit" button using a CSS sprite for an image now works in all browsers down to IE7. Changing from border:none to border: 0px solid red; solved the problem.

Thank you for asking your question and then following up by answering it so that the rest of the community can continue to benefit from your research. Thank you!

James

jmort253, May 29, 2011 IP
  7. Enursa

Enursa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Great. It saved my times.

Thanks all.

Enursa, Oct 14, 2011 IP
  8. snaker190

snaker190 Active Member

Best Answers: